jerry wass

Default Regrinding Ball mills

Does anybody know of a place to get an 1-1/2" ball mill ground down to
1.3" ??--preferably near Birmingham AL Many thanks in advance.
Harold and Susan Vordos

"jerry wass" wrote in message
Does anybody know of a place to get an 1-1/2" ball mill ground down to
1.3" ??--preferably near Birmingham AL Many thanks in advance.

Be careful about reducing the size of such tools. When you do, you lose rake
angle and chip clearance, often with results that render the tool useless
for the purpose intended.

Harold

jerry wass

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"jerry wass" wrote in message

Does anybody know of a place to get an 1-1/2" ball mill ground down to
1.3" ??--preferably near Birmingham AL Many thanks in advance.

Be careful about reducing the size of such tools. When you do, you lose rake
angle and chip clearance, often with results that render the tool useless
for the purpose intended.

Harold

We is gonna rout out a stock fer a bbl.---Jes happen to have a new 1-1/2"

Grant Erwin

jerry wass wrote:

We is gonna rout out a stock fer a bbl.---Jes happen to have a new 1-1/2"

We isn't gonna get a job teaching English, that's for sho ..

GWE
Rex B

Grant Erwin wrote:
jerry wass wrote:

We is gonna rout out a stock fer a bbl.---Jes happen to have a new 1-1/2"

We isn't gonna get a job teaching English, that's for sho ..

GWE

I dunno, if we is in Alabama, we might have a shot

Gunner

"jerry wass" wrote in message

Does anybody know of a place to get an 1-1/2" ball mill ground down to
1.3" ??--preferably near Birmingham AL Many thanks in advance.

Be careful about reducing the size of such tools. When you do, you lose rake
angle and chip clearance, often with results that render the tool useless
for the purpose intended.

Harold

We is gonna rout out a stock fer a bbl.---Jes happen to have a new 1-1/2"

Sounds about right for a good clean "free float" unless you are going
for the European look of wood tight to the metal.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

On Fri, 27 May 2005 07:04:36 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

jerry wass wrote:

We is gonna rout out a stock fer a bbl.---Jes happen to have a new 1-1/2"

We isn't gonna get a job teaching English, that's for sho ..

GWE

The feller made perfik cents to me. You danged sity fellers sure do
talk funny.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Harold and Susan Vordos

"jerry wass" wrote in message

Does anybody know of a place to get an 1-1/2" ball mill ground down to
1.3" ??--preferably near Birmingham AL Many thanks in advance.

Be careful about reducing the size of such tools. When you do, you lose

rake
angle and chip clearance, often with results that render the tool

useless
for the purpose intended.

Harold

We is gonna rout out a stock fer a bbl.---Jes happen to have a new 1-1/2"

Chuckle!!!

Well, if we is gonna rout out a stock fer a bbl, when you reduce the end
mill as much as you suggest, you'll quickly come to understand what I said.
While wood is soft, it requires lots of rake to machine without splintering,
or even splitting the grain. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
When you reduce the end mill, you will have completely eliminated the rake
angle, so you'll be cutting with, at best, 0 rake, I'm inclined to think it
will go slightly negative, however, more or less clubbing off the material
instead of cutting it. That would be akin to running your tool
backwards, or nearly so. You are risking the loss of the end mill (not
cheap) and the stock.

For cutting wood, there's no reason why you can't hand grind a simple tool
(single flute is fine, just run it fast in a mill, which I assume you have)
that has lots of rake. Give that a thought, and spare the loss of the
expensive ball end mill. You can do it. I have faith in you. If you
need a template to aid in grinding the desired radius, scribe one from thin
stock, using a divider. Thick paper will serve for a one-time use.

Harold

~Roy~

Well the place I know of is not in B'ham, but its only about 80 or 90
miles south of B'ham, just south of Montgomery by about 12
miles......This fellow can grind any profile out of carbide or HSS
that you can imagine, or alter an existing endmill.

If your in need of his services send me an email and I''ll tell you
how to get there, his email and his phone number. His rates are more
than reasonable.

My email is obtainable off my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com