Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vintage CAD question, Cadkey

Anyone happen to know if CK '97 will open .PRT files created in CK '99?

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vintage CAD question, Cadkey, issue solved

I was looking ahead to when I move down under. Wanted to leave my CK97
disk with my main customer as I have done a bit of original design work
and a lot of reverse engineering work for him. But if he can't open my
'99 files, that won't do him any good... The other benefit would have
been to give him a better drawing tool than Visio, as he's talked about
getting a real CAD program for some time. '97 is easy to learn and would
more than meet his needs.

Problem solved. Found a free file viewer on the Kubotek site!
Can't draw with it, but he'll at least be able to open, view, and print
my files.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 08:42:06 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

I was looking ahead to when I move down under. Wanted to leave my CK97
disk with my main customer as I have done a bit of original design work
and a lot of reverse engineering work for him. But if he can't open my
'99 files, that won't do him any good... The other benefit would have
been to give him a better drawing tool than Visio, as he's talked about
getting a real CAD program for some time. '97 is easy to learn and would
more than meet his needs.

Problem solved. Found a free file viewer on the Kubotek site!
Can't draw with it, but he'll at least be able to open, view, and print
my files.

Jon

Can you save them in a .DXF format? open and re-save each one and he
will have a file he can import to almost anything.

How many total files are we talking about?

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/8/2011 9:14 AM, Randy333 wrote:

Can you save them in a .DXF format? open and re-save each one and he
will have a file he can import to almost anything.

When Cadkey exports a DXF file, it throws everything in ALL layers, into
one layer. Does not matter what layers are hidden, they all get
exported. Given some files have 50+ layers containing variations of a
part, all that on a single layer will be just noise.
The free CK reader is a good solution. They can verify dimensions, view
any layers, resize screen view, and print. My personal shop drawings are
more like chicken scratches, but any competent shop could work from them.

How many total files are we talking about?

Couple hundred... All these CAD files are my investment. I'll give them
free as is. As my move draws closer, I'll contact everyone and see if
anyone is willing to pay to have me put out formal drawings and/or
output DXF files of all relevant geometry for import into someone else's
CAD/CAM. But not doing all that for free with an international move
pending. Several of my customers have become personal friends, and I
don't want to leave any of them holding the bag.

Hell, I'd buy them all copies of CK99 if I could find them on ebay, but
Kubotek has not carried on Cadkey's policy of transferring licenses. I
inquired when I found a copy of KeyCreator on ebay, and they responded
as if I was a pirate...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/8/2011 3:08 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 6/8/2011 9:14 AM, Randy333 wrote:

Can you save them in a .DXF format? open and re-save each one and he
will have a file he can import to almost anything.

When Cadkey exports a DXF file, it throws everything in ALL layers, into
one layer. Does not matter what layers are hidden, they all get
exported. Given some files have 50+ layers containing variations of a
part, all that on a single layer will be just noise.
The free CK reader is a good solution. They can verify dimensions, view
any layers, resize screen view, and print. My personal shop drawings are
more like chicken scratches, but any competent shop could work from them.

I'm using CK98 at work for some things and I've never seen it put
everything on one layer when exporting to DXF or DWG. One of my favorite
uses for it is for when I receive a DXF or DWG with one layer, I can
direct dimensions and other entities to separate layers, then resave it
as DXF and open it in ACAD.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/8/2011 1:26 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

I'm using CK98 at work for some things and I've never seen it put
everything on one layer when exporting to DXF or DWG.

Interesting. Might be a setting somewhere that impacts that, which I'm
not aware of. I've been using CK since V4 on a 386, but wasn't until I
bought Bobcad after buying CK97 that I ran into this, as prior to
Bobcad, never had any need to export DXF. May after all these years,
I'll finally crack open the help file... G

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Been quite a while since I used CadKey. I don't even recall which old
computer it's on, but
Hmmmmmmmmm............ CK used to ouput IGES files if asked. Is there
possibly a work-around doing that?

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Vintage IDEA's??? HotRod Home Repair 10 February 8th 06 08:02 PM
Vintage Hardware question [email protected] Woodworking 4 January 11th 06 04:12 AM
QUESTION: VINTAGE COLOR TVs UFO Joe Electronics Repair 9 January 1st 06 10:09 PM
FA: Lot of Vintage TV components [email protected] Electronics Repair 6 December 14th 03 08:35 PM
Gloatus maximus! (and vintage Sears RAS question) Traves W. Coppock Woodworking 7 July 17th 03 11:50 PM