Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Vintage CAD question, Cadkey, issue solved

On 6/8/2011 9:14 AM, Randy333 wrote:

Can you save them in a .DXF format? open and re-save each one and he
will have a file he can import to almost anything.

When Cadkey exports a DXF file, it throws everything in ALL layers, into
one layer. Does not matter what layers are hidden, they all get
exported. Given some files have 50+ layers containing variations of a
part, all that on a single layer will be just noise.
The free CK reader is a good solution. They can verify dimensions, view
any layers, resize screen view, and print. My personal shop drawings are
more like chicken scratches, but any competent shop could work from them.

How many total files are we talking about?

Couple hundred... All these CAD files are my investment. I'll give them
free as is. As my move draws closer, I'll contact everyone and see if
anyone is willing to pay to have me put out formal drawings and/or
output DXF files of all relevant geometry for import into someone else's
CAD/CAM. But not doing all that for free with an international move
pending. Several of my customers have become personal friends, and I
don't want to leave any of them holding the bag.

Hell, I'd buy them all copies of CK99 if I could find them on ebay, but
Kubotek has not carried on Cadkey's policy of transferring licenses. I
inquired when I found a copy of KeyCreator on ebay, and they responded
as if I was a pirate...

Jon