Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default Vintage CAD question, Cadkey, issue solved

On 6/8/2011 3:08 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 6/8/2011 9:14 AM, Randy333 wrote:

Can you save them in a .DXF format? open and re-save each one and he
will have a file he can import to almost anything.

When Cadkey exports a DXF file, it throws everything in ALL layers, into
one layer. Does not matter what layers are hidden, they all get
exported. Given some files have 50+ layers containing variations of a
part, all that on a single layer will be just noise.
The free CK reader is a good solution. They can verify dimensions, view
any layers, resize screen view, and print. My personal shop drawings are
more like chicken scratches, but any competent shop could work from them.

I'm using CK98 at work for some things and I've never seen it put
everything on one layer when exporting to DXF or DWG. One of my favorite
uses for it is for when I receive a DXF or DWG with one layer, I can
direct dimensions and other entities to separate layers, then resave it
as DXF and open it in ACAD.

David