DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Vintage CAD question, Cadkey (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/324303-vintage-cad-question-cadkey.html)

Jon Anderson June 7th 11 07:51 PM

Vintage CAD question, Cadkey

Anyone happen to know if CK '97 will open .PRT files created in CK '99?

Jon

Doc June 8th 11 02:30 PM

Vintage CAD question, Cadkey

toolbreaker wrote in news:19a53c7b-fd92-4a7e-b6fc-
:

On Jun 7, 11:51*am, Jon Anderson wrote:
Anyone happen to know if CK '97 will open .PRT files created in CK '99?

Jon

Wont work. I know from experance.:-(

email me if you want to discuss possible work arounds

I thing that I still have a copy of CK97. Let me know if your work arounds
don't pan out and I will see if I can find it.

Jon Anderson June 8th 11 05:42 PM

Vintage CAD question, Cadkey, issue solved

I was looking ahead to when I move down under. Wanted to leave my CK97
disk with my main customer as I have done a bit of original design work
and a lot of reverse engineering work for him. But if he can't open my
'99 files, that won't do him any good... The other benefit would have
been to give him a better drawing tool than Visio, as he's talked about
getting a real CAD program for some time. '97 is easy to learn and would
more than meet his needs.

Problem solved. Found a free file viewer on the Kubotek site!
Can't draw with it, but he'll at least be able to open, view, and print
my files.

Jon

Randy333 June 8th 11 06:14 PM

Vintage CAD question, Cadkey, issue solved

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 08:42:06 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

I was looking ahead to when I move down under. Wanted to leave my CK97
disk with my main customer as I have done a bit of original design work
and a lot of reverse engineering work for him. But if he can't open my
'99 files, that won't do him any good... The other benefit would have
been to give him a better drawing tool than Visio, as he's talked about
getting a real CAD program for some time. '97 is easy to learn and would
more than meet his needs.

Problem solved. Found a free file viewer on the Kubotek site!
Can't draw with it, but he'll at least be able to open, view, and print
my files.

Jon

Can you save them in a .DXF format? open and re-save each one and he
will have a file he can import to almost anything.

How many total files are we talking about?

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

Jon Anderson June 8th 11 09:08 PM

On 6/8/2011 9:14 AM, Randy333 wrote:

Can you save them in a .DXF format? open and re-save each one and he
will have a file he can import to almost anything.

When Cadkey exports a DXF file, it throws everything in ALL layers, into
one layer. Does not matter what layers are hidden, they all get
exported. Given some files have 50+ layers containing variations of a
part, all that on a single layer will be just noise.
The free CK reader is a good solution. They can verify dimensions, view
any layers, resize screen view, and print. My personal shop drawings are
more like chicken scratches, but any competent shop could work from them.

How many total files are we talking about?

Couple hundred... All these CAD files are my investment. I'll give them
free as is. As my move draws closer, I'll contact everyone and see if
anyone is willing to pay to have me put out formal drawings and/or
output DXF files of all relevant geometry for import into someone else's
CAD/CAM. But not doing all that for free with an international move
pending. Several of my customers have become personal friends, and I
don't want to leave any of them holding the bag.

Hell, I'd buy them all copies of CK99 if I could find them on ebay, but
Kubotek has not carried on Cadkey's policy of transferring licenses. I
inquired when I found a copy of KeyCreator on ebay, and they responded
as if I was a pirate...

Jon

David R. Birch June 8th 11 10:26 PM

On 6/8/2011 3:08 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 6/8/2011 9:14 AM, Randy333 wrote:

Can you save them in a .DXF format? open and re-save each one and he
will have a file he can import to almost anything.

When Cadkey exports a DXF file, it throws everything in ALL layers, into
one layer. Does not matter what layers are hidden, they all get
exported. Given some files have 50+ layers containing variations of a
part, all that on a single layer will be just noise.
The free CK reader is a good solution. They can verify dimensions, view
any layers, resize screen view, and print. My personal shop drawings are
more like chicken scratches, but any competent shop could work from them.

I'm using CK98 at work for some things and I've never seen it put
everything on one layer when exporting to DXF or DWG. One of my favorite
uses for it is for when I receive a DXF or DWG with one layer, I can
direct dimensions and other entities to separate layers, then resave it
as DXF and open it in ACAD.

David

Jon Anderson June 9th 11 02:43 AM

On 6/8/2011 1:26 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

I'm using CK98 at work for some things and I've never seen it put
everything on one layer when exporting to DXF or DWG.

Interesting. Might be a setting somewhere that impacts that, which I'm
not aware of. I've been using CK since V4 on a 386, but wasn't until I
bought Bobcad after buying CK97 that I ran into this, as prior to
Bobcad, never had any need to export DXF. May after all these years,
I'll finally crack open the help file... G

Jon

Brian Lawson June 10th 11 03:29 AM

Vintage CAD question, Cadkey, issue solved

Been quite a while since I used CadKey. I don't even recall which old
computer it's on, but
Hmmmmmmmmm............ CK used to ouput IGES files if asked. Is there
possibly a work-around doing that?

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX