Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default parallel port

I'm needing a parallel port in this computer to hold the hasp or
dongle for my CNC control software. The last upgrade from Camsoft is
for improved operator interface layout tools. I'd like to learn in the
office, not at the control.

Its a hp computer model e9105z with this motherboard: Pegatron
MZN78-LA.

I went to the HP site and was advised to get this part for the
parallel port: HP Parallel Port Adapter Parallel adapter kd061aa. We
went to install it and there is no place to plug it in to the mother
board. Must be missing something, we looked EVERYWHERE.

FWIW, there are no free PCI slots, only one in this box.

Any suggestions?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 30, 9:55*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
I'm needing a parallel port in this computer to hold the hasp or
dongle for my CNC control software. ...
Any suggestions?

Karl

You could try a USB-parallel adapter, but if the dongle expects to
find the port at its BIOS I/O address you may be SOL.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins Inscribed thus:

On May 30, 9:55Â*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
I'm needing a parallel port in this computer to hold the hasp or
dongle for my CNC control software. ...
Any suggestions?

Karl

You could try a USB-parallel adapter, but if the dongle expects to
find the port at its BIOS I/O address you may be SOL.

jsw

I'm afraid I must agree with Jim ! I have a pp dongle that insists on
LPT1 3BCh IRQ7. Interesting that most pp printers use LPT2 or 3 on
278/378.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby Inscribed thus:

wrote:
I'm needing a parallel port in this computer to hold the hasp or
dongle for my CNC control software. ... Any suggestions?

You could try a USB-parallel adapter, but if the dongle expects to
find the port at its BIOS I/O address you may be SOL.

I'm afraid I must agree with Jim ! I have a pp dongle that insists
on
LPT1 3BCh IRQ7. Interesting that most pp printers use LPT2 or 3 on
278/378.

The M2N78-LA Pegatron MB has 3 PCI-Express-1 ports as well as a
full-length PCI port. Cards like at next URL will plug in to
the short slots, but does his HP computer have back panel openings
to match? Also, Karl said MZN78-LA Pegatron but only M2N78-LA's
show up in cursory google.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Profile-Parallel-Adapter/dp/tech-data/B001Q7X0Z8

Thats a good find ! As far as I know it should fit. The rear panel has
breakout openings for each of the mainboard slots, and that card comes
with mini and full hight slot mounts.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 May 2011 08:55:59 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I'm needing a parallel port in this computer to hold the hasp or
dongle for my CNC control software. The last upgrade from Camsoft is
for improved operator interface layout tools. I'd like to learn in the
office, not at the control.

Its a hp computer model e9105z with this motherboard: Pegatron
MZN78-LA.

I went to the HP site and was advised to get this part for the
parallel port: HP Parallel Port Adapter Parallel adapter kd061aa. We
went to install it and there is no place to plug it in to the mother
board. Must be missing something, we looked EVERYWHERE.

FWIW, there are no free PCI slots, only one in this box.

Any suggestions?

Karl

USB to Parallel adapter

www.microcenter.com

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I'm needing a parallel port in this computer to hold the hasp or
dongle for my CNC control software. ...
Any suggestions?

Karl

You could try a USB-parallel adapter, but if the dongle expects to
find the port at its BIOS I/O address you may be SOL.

jsw

Snap a picture of the board in the case. If it has ANY PCI slots there may
be room for a sideways 3 slot card. Or just pick up a cheap PC from Tiger
Direct as a spare.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-30, Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm needing a parallel port in this computer to hold the hasp or
dongle for my CNC control software. The last upgrade from Camsoft is
for improved operator interface layout tools. I'd like to learn in the
office, not at the control.

Its a hp computer model e9105z with this motherboard: Pegatron
MZN78-LA.

I went to the HP site and was advised to get this part for the
parallel port: HP Parallel Port Adapter Parallel adapter kd061aa. We
went to install it and there is no place to plug it in to the mother
board. Must be missing something, we looked EVERYWHERE.

FWIW, there are no free PCI slots, only one in this box.

Any suggestions?

The only real suggestion is to get a different motherboard. You also
need to be careful about proper EPP support. I went through
this. There are cards that support EPP and there are cards that do not
(but they still kind of "work", creating all sorts of trouble).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I'm needing a parallel port in this computer to hold the hasp or
dongle for my CNC control software. The last upgrade from Camsoft is
for improved operator interface layout tools. I'd like to learn in the
office, not at the control.

Its a hp computer model e9105z with this motherboard: Pegatron
MZN78-LA.

I went to the HP site and was advised to get this part for the
parallel port: HP Parallel Port Adapter Parallel adapter kd061aa. We
went to install it and there is no place to plug it in to the mother
board. Must be missing something, we looked EVERYWHERE.

FWIW, there are no free PCI slots, only one in this box.

Any suggestions?

Karl

USB to Parallel adapter

www.microcenter.com

Gunner

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gunner Asch- Hide quoted text -

Probably won't work with the dongle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I'm needing a parallel port in this computer to hold the hasp or
dongle for my CNC control software. The last upgrade from Camsoft is
for improved operator interface layout tools. I'd like to learn in the
office, not at the control.

Its a hp computer model e9105z with this motherboard: Pegatron
MZN78-LA.

I went to the HP site and was advised to get this part for the
parallel port: HP Parallel Port Adapter Parallel adapter kd061aa. We
went to install it and there is no place to plug it in to the mother
board. Must be missing something, we looked EVERYWHERE.

FWIW, there are no free PCI slots, only one in this box.

Any suggestions?

Karl

I would bot expect a USB parallel adapter to work with a hasp dongle
because their drivers expect the port to be at a "normal" LPT address.
The same goes for PCI express parallel ports. What you may be able to
do is free up the existing PCI slot by replacing whatever's plugged
into it with a PCI ex[ress equivalent, and putting a parallel port
into the (now emty) PCI slot.

This makes a real good case for boycotting dongle-laden software.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm needing a parallel port in this computer to hold the hasp or
dongle for my CNC control software. The last upgrade from Camsoft is
for improved operator interface layout tools. I'd like to learn in the
office, not at the control.

Its a hp computer model e9105z with this motherboard: Pegatron
MZN78-LA.

I went to the HP site and was advised to get this part for the
parallel port: HP Parallel Port Adapter Parallel adapter kd061aa. We
went to install it and there is no place to plug it in to the mother
board. Must be missing something, we looked EVERYWHERE.

FWIW, there are no free PCI slots, only one in this box.

Any suggestions?

You don't say anything about a "printer" port. That's probably what
the dongle wants to plug into. Do you have a female DB on the back panel,
like this?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...inter_port.jpg

If not, you're probably stuck with the USB adaptor.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I'm needing a parallel port in this computer to hold the hasp or
dongle for my CNC control software. ...
Any suggestions?

Karl

You could try a USB-parallel adapter, but if the dongle expects to
find the port at its BIOS I/O address you may be SOL.

jsw

Snap a picture of the board in the case. If it has ANY PCI slots
there may be room for a sideways 3 slot card. Or just pick up a
cheap PC from Tiger Direct as a spare.

Pulled up a pic of his mobo on the HP website , it has 3 of the small PCI-E
slots , and one big'un , the board someone else found hould work just fine .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

wrote:
[...]

shoot. I already ordered a PCI express card. I know the USB adapeter
route won't work. Does the express card not use the IRQ and address
like a regular LPT port?

Karl

Ought to. But God is in the details.

But if it winds up sharing an interrupt with a USB device, it's going
to be choppy...

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I need an IEEE 1284 compliant parallel port for my CNC controller.
It is bi-directional and programmable. If the Dongle is running a
processor it might just want to talk.

If you have a board in the one slot - you might be able to get
a dual function board as a replacement.

Martin

wrote:
[...]

CNC presents special real time requirements that are unlikely to be
met by a parallel to USB dongle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That should work. It will likely be plug and play
and will have it's own bios that boots in real time.

If not would use the existing.
Martin

On 5/30/2011 8:36 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2011 18:15:21 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On May 30, 9:55 am, Karl
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

He's not using this for CNC control, it's for the security dongle to his
CNC software that he wants to run on his office PC to try the new
version, not to control a machine. This dongle hassle is something you
don't have if you run Mach3 or EMC2.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Wow, I feel privileged, I do not need a dongle!

parallel port Justice Electronics 5 July 16th 05 10:14 PM
RCA ChipperCheck, and No Parallel Port to hook to? Mike Electronics Repair 0 April 16th 05 05:15 PM
RCA ChipperCheck, and No Parallel Port to hook to? Mike Electronics Repair 2 April 11th 05 11:39 AM
Parallel port electronics Ed Electronics 1 July 21st 04 10:14 PM
parallel port driving 74hc164 John Smith Electronics 1 March 31st 04 08:10 PM