Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default parallel port

Karl Townsend wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2011 18:15:21 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On May 30, 9:55 am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
I'm needing a parallel port in this computer to hold the hasp or
dongle for my CNC control software. The last upgrade from Camsoft is
for improved operator interface layout tools. I'd like to learn in the
office, not at the control.

Its a hp computer model e9105z with this motherboard: Pegatron
MZN78-LA.

I went to the HP site and was advised to get this part for the
parallel port: HP Parallel Port Adapter Parallel adapter kd061aa. We
went to install it and there is no place to plug it in to the mother
board. Must be missing something, we looked EVERYWHERE.

FWIW, there are no free PCI slots, only one in this box.

Any suggestions?

Karl

I would bot expect a USB parallel adapter to work with a hasp dongle
because their drivers expect the port to be at a "normal" LPT address.
The same goes for PCI express parallel ports. What you may be able to
do is free up the existing PCI slot by replacing whatever's plugged
into it with a PCI ex[ress equivalent, and putting a parallel port
into the (now emty) PCI slot.

This makes a real good case for boycotting dongle-laden software.

shoot. I already ordered a PCI express card. I know the USB adapeter
route won't work. Does the express card not use the IRQ and address
like a regular LPT port?

Karl

Ought to. But God is in the details.

But if it winds up sharing an interrupt with a USB device, it's going
to be choppy...

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb