Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 50 mpg air-hybrid

and it is claimed to have the torque of a diesel...

http://www.scuderigroup.com/the-scud...-hybrid-system
--
:3 )~
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 May 2011 06:45:40 -0400, Mouse wrote:

and it is claimed to have the torque of a diesel...

http://www.scuderigroup.com/the-scud...-hybrid-system

Hmm, there are no pictures of completed engines (or vehicle
installations) on the site yet.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2011 06:45:40 -0400, Mouse wrote:

and it is claimed to have the torque of a diesel...

http://www.scuderigroup.com/the-scud...-hybrid-system

Hmm, there are no pictures of completed engines (or vehicle
installations) on the site yet.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
-- Pete Seeger

Have a look on the "our media" page, there are a couple of videos of the
prototype running although they don't show the engine in any great detail.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 May 2011 13:36:42 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2011 06:45:40 -0400, Mouse wrote:

and it is claimed to have the torque of a diesel...

http://www.scuderigroup.com/the-scud...-hybrid-system

Hmm, there are no pictures of completed engines (or vehicle
installations) on the site yet.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
-- Pete Seeger

Have a look on the "our media" page, there are a couple of videos of the
prototype running although they don't show the engine in any great detail.

The size of the Rolls Royce with the power of a Vespa! I'd like to
see their power specs, though.

I'm sure the production engine will be considerably more compact.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
-- Pete Seeger
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 May 2011 06:45:40 -0400, Mouse wrote:

and it is claimed to have the torque of a diesel...

http://www.scuderigroup.com/the-scud...-hybrid-system

Does this really qualify to use the term "hybrid"?

It is essentially a conventional combustion engine with a regenerative
braking system added.
--
RoRo

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mouse wrote in :

and it is claimed to have the torque of a diesel...

http://www.scuderigroup.com/the-scud...-hybrid-system

Let's see: a tank of compressed air in a system with fuel vapors & a nearby
combustion source. All it takes is a tiny leak & the storage tank will
blow the thing to bits. No thanks.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/30/2011 09:07 AM, Robert Roland wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2011 06:45:40 -0400, wrote:

and it is claimed to have the torque of a diesel...

http://www.scuderigroup.com/the-scud...-hybrid-system

Does this really qualify to use the term "hybrid"?

It is essentially a conventional combustion engine with a regenerative
braking system added.

There's a number of things out there called "hybrid" whose labeling I
would question.

One of the problems with electrical regenerative braking is finding
something that can accept the energy fast enough (batteries generally
charge a lot slower than they discharge, and capacitors are _huge_).

Compressed air power doesn't work well in general because the energy
density of compressed air is far worse even than batteries, at least
once you take the size of the tank into account.

So a gas engine with compressed air regenerative braking may not be that
bad of a thing, no matter what you call it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Doug White wrote:

Let's see: a tank of compressed air in a system with fuel vapors & a nearby
combustion source. All it takes is a tiny leak & the storage tank will
blow the thing to bits. No thanks.

Please run out and stop all the ignorant fools that are running
jackhammers from gasoline and diesel-powered compressors, then.
..
..
..
And all those trucks and trains with air brakes.
..
..
..
Why are they not getting blown to bits on a regular basis, I wonder?
..
..
..
You're hyping something that is simply not that big of a deal. Not
talking about an oxygen tank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Tim Wescott wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Mon, 30 May 2011 14:31:38 -0700:

Compressed air power doesn't work well in general because the energy
density of compressed air is far worse even than batteries, at least
once you take the size of the tank into account.

Don't forget about the heat. That kills the efficiency of most air
powered cars. But as short term storage in re-gen braking, it may be
workable. But I'll wait and see.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/30/2011 06:37 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On May 30, 9:01 pm, (dan) wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote in
Don't forget about the heat. That kills the efficiency of most air
powered cars. But as short term storage in re-gen braking, it may be
workable. But I'll wait and see.
Dan H.

The energy recovered by regenerative braking helps you get back up to
speed after the light turns green, nothing more.

Apparently that energy can be a pretty substantial fraction of the
energy used in city driving. So your 'nothing more' is warranted, but
the energy saving isn't to be sneezed at.

And no -- I can't quote proportions to you. Wish I could. It's
probably on the web someplace. In fact, there's probably several
different contradictory sets on the web*.

One thing about using compressed air for regenerative braking -- if you
use the compressed air while it's still hot you'll recover more energy
than you do from cold compressed air like you'd get in a shop. All it'd
take would be a bit of thermal insulation on the tank, or perhaps not
even that.

* If nothing else, it depends on the driver. I have a friend who
accelerates like a drag racer out of stop lights, then curses and stomps
on the brakes at the next red. This in downtown Portland Oregon, where
they time all the lights and if you go a steady speed a bit under the
limit then you hit all the lights green. _She's_ gonna benefit from
regenerative braking a whole bunch more than my wife or I, who like the
challenge of seeing how many greens we can hit when we know the lights
are timed.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 31, 11:59*am, Tim Wescott wrote:
..
The energy recovered by regenerative braking helps you get back up to
speed after the light turns green, nothing more.

Apparently that energy can be a pretty substantial fraction of the
energy used in city driving. *So your 'nothing more' is warranted, but
the energy saving isn't to be sneezed at.
Tim Wescott

It's significant, but probably still a loss compared to driving
through a green light. Compare it to coasting up a hill to a stop,
then rolling back down. You won't go any faster after than you were
before.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

* If nothing else, it depends on the driver. I have a friend who
accelerates like a drag racer out of stop lights, then curses and stomps
on the brakes at the next red. This in downtown Portland Oregon, where
they time all the lights and if you go a steady speed a bit under the
limit then you hit all the lights green. _She's_ gonna benefit from
regenerative braking a whole bunch more than my wife or I, who like the
challenge of seeing how many greens we can hit when we know the lights
are timed.

I once heard an urban legend-type story; in Minneapolis, they had the
signals timed for a steady 26 MPH. So some guy says, "Well, if they're
timed for 26 MPH, then 52 should work too, shouldn't it? The story
is that he made it all the way through town before they caught him, but
personally, I find the whole story more than 50% implausible. :-)

Anybody else heard anything like that?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

You're about half right on the implausibility.
Since the timing is the delay before the next light turns green, at 52 the
second light would still be red when you got to it.
13 MPH might work though.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/31/2011 02:13 PM, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
"Rich wrote in message
Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

Or you'd go 52mph and hit red, green, red, green.

Then, eventually, "crunch!".

My dad used to tell a story about a friend of his in the local Sheriff's
department. The guy liked to prank the dispatchers. One day he was
parked in a lot at the corner of SE 122 and mumble-mumble (South of
Powell, at any rate). He saw normal traffic going through a green, and
an obviously oblivious speeder heading toward the red, with no sign of
stopping. So he stuck his mic out the window and keyed it at the
critical moment.

Radio silence, followed by:

"Will the unit at the scene of the injury accident please advise with
your location and ID".

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 31, 4:06*pm, Rich Grise wrote:
I once heard an urban legend-type story; in Minneapolis, they had the
signals timed for a steady 26 MPH. So some guy says, "Well, if they're
timed for 26 MPH, then 52 should work too, shouldn't it? The story
is that he made it all the way through town before they caught him, but
personally, I find the whole story more than 50% implausible. :-)

Anybody else heard anything like that?

Thanks,
Rich

104 works too.

DAMHIKT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 13:06:49 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

So some guy says, "Well, if they're
timed for 26 MPH, then 52 should work too, shouldn't it?

Only if the next light goes through an even number of green cycles in
the time you need to travel between the lights at 26MPH. This will
only be true if there is a long distance between each light, and only
50% of the time.
--
RoRo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Apparently that energy can be a pretty substantial fraction of the
energy used in city driving. So your 'nothing more' is warranted, but
the energy saving isn't to be sneezed at.

I have a Honda Civic Hybrid, and can pretty easily exceed 60 MPG in city
driving. It gets about 50 MPG on the highway. This is a fairly standard
looking car, nothing real special about the body, it has a continuously
variable cone drive transmission with no torque converter and a
semi-Atkinson cycle engine that is a bit more efficient.

* If nothing else, it depends on the driver. I have a friend who
accelerates like a drag racer out of stop lights, then curses and stomps
on the brakes at the next red.

Yeah, my wife gets about 42 MPG with it, so driving style may make even MORE
difference with a hybrid.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 12:12*am, Jon Elson wrote:
I have a Honda Civic Hybrid, and can pretty easily exceed 60 MPG in city
driving. *It gets about 50 MPG on the highway. *...
Jon

Can you maintain it yourself without special equipment or subscribing
to an online service?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

Apparently that energy can be a pretty substantial fraction of the
energy used in city driving. So your 'nothing more' is warranted, but
the energy saving isn't to be sneezed at.

I have a Honda Civic Hybrid, and can pretty easily exceed 60 MPG in city
driving. It gets about 50 MPG on the highway. This is a fairly standard
looking car, nothing real special about the body, it has a continuously
variable cone drive transmission with no torque converter and a
semi-Atkinson cycle engine that is a bit more efficient.

* If nothing else, it depends on the driver. I have a friend who
accelerates like a drag racer out of stop lights, then curses and stomps
on the brakes at the next red.

Yeah, my wife gets about 42 MPG with it, so driving style may make even MORE
difference with a hybrid.

How many hills do you have to drive over, to get somewhere?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Robert Roland wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2011 06:45:40 -0400, Mouse wrote:

and it is claimed to have the torque of a diesel...

http://www.scuderigroup.com/the-scud...-hybrid-system

Does this really qualify to use the term "hybrid"?

It is essentially a conventional combustion engine with a regenerative
braking system added.

I wonder what the weight penalty is and then I wonder how much energy it can hold. Like
on a long downgrade where you have to downshift or use brakes, will it reclaim all the
energy used to climb the upgrade or is it just good for one 60-0 stop and ramping back up?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Wes wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Sat, 04 Jun 2011 17:20:34 -0400:

Does this really qualify to use the term "hybrid"?

It is essentially a conventional combustion engine with a regenerative
braking system added.

I wonder what the weight penalty is and then I wonder how much energy it can hold. Like
on a long downgrade where you have to downshift or use brakes, will it reclaim all the
energy used to climb the upgrade or is it just good for one 60-0 stop and ramping back up?

Might be easier to add an extra air tank, than to add more batteries.
Imagine if you go up and down a lot of hills and on and off ramps.
If you didn't need the space you could add a big secondary tank in the
trunk.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

DIY Hybrid azotic[_4_] Metalworking 47 March 23rd 11 05:16 PM
DO IT YOURSELF HYBRID KIT [email protected] Home Repair 6 June 1st 08 07:57 PM
150 mpg Hybrid SUV [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 29th 08 07:28 PM
Is the Delta Hybrid really bad? Frank Woodworking 35 May 14th 06 08:40 AM
Hybrid Cars Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 340 December 1st 05 09:08 PM