Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default 50 mpg air-hybrid

Tim Wescott wrote:

Apparently that energy can be a pretty substantial fraction of the
energy used in city driving. So your 'nothing more' is warranted, but
the energy saving isn't to be sneezed at.

I have a Honda Civic Hybrid, and can pretty easily exceed 60 MPG in city
driving. It gets about 50 MPG on the highway. This is a fairly standard
looking car, nothing real special about the body, it has a continuously
variable cone drive transmission with no torque converter and a
semi-Atkinson cycle engine that is a bit more efficient.

* If nothing else, it depends on the driver. I have a friend who
accelerates like a drag racer out of stop lights, then curses and stomps
on the brakes at the next red.

Yeah, my wife gets about 42 MPG with it, so driving style may make even MORE
difference with a hybrid.

Jon