Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cheeeep drum switch?

I need to fix up an old lathe before I "loan" it to a friend who's lathe-
deprived.

I need a CHEAP 3PDT drum reversing switch with positive center OFF.

The old one has crapped the bed, and I'm certain it cannot be safely
repaired.

Need 3PDT, because this motor has four reversing leads. 15A, 110V is all
it needs, and it need not be pretty.

Some ChiCom units are on Ebay for under $30.00 including shipping, but
they're NEW, and they just won't "look right" on this old beater; if you
know what I mean.

(gunner? Iggy? other hoarders? G)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I need to fix up an old lathe before I "loan" it to a friend who's lathe-
deprived.

I need a CHEAP 3PDT drum reversing switch with positive center OFF.

The old one has crapped the bed, and I'm certain it cannot be safely
repaired.

Need 3PDT, because this motor has four reversing leads. 15A, 110V is all
it needs, and it need not be pretty.

Some ChiCom units are on Ebay for under $30.00 including shipping, but
they're NEW, and they just won't "look right" on this old beater; if you
know what I mean.

(gunner? Iggy? other hoarders? G)

LLoyd

I think that I sold all I had that I did not need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 18, 5:32*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I need to fix up an old lathe before I "loan" it to a friend who's lathe-
deprived.

I need a CHEAP 3PDT drum reversing switch with positive center OFF.

The old one has crapped the bed, and I'm certain it cannot be safely
repaired.

Need 3PDT, because this motor has four reversing leads. *15A, 110V is all
it needs, and it need not be pretty.

Some ChiCom units are on Ebay for under $30.00 including shipping, but
they're NEW, and they just won't "look right" on this old beater; if you
know what I mean.

(gunner? *Iggy? other hoarders? G)

LLoyd

If it is a single phase motor you can achieve this using 2 switches;
one double pole double toggle switch to select the direction, and a
single pole single toggle to switch ON and OFF.

Select direction of rotation prior to staring the motor.

Wolfgang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 May 2011 08:06:03 -0700 (PDT), wolfgang
wrote:

[...]

Ive got some drum switches ..but I wont be home before Friday. email
me and Ill see what I have

Gunner, posting from a wifi spot

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Ive got some drum switches ..but I wont be home before Friday. email
me and Ill see what I have

Gunner, posting from a wifi spot

Thanks, Gunner...

ACTUALLY, I sort of "forgot" that I own a couple of lathes G.

It took a bit of work to chuck up the oddly shaped drum itself, but after
figuring that out, I was able to re-machine the contacts with REALLY
light cuts so as not to break the phenolic substrate from cutting forces,
much as you would a commutator (but more delicate work). Although I only
left about 0.015" of metal, I think it's fine for 15A at 110V. The
switch was originally rated for 30A. The wipers took up the slack just
fine.

So, thanks all (even Wolfgang), but it's fixed and works.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Wolfy, MOST folks who are on this group understand basic electrical
wiring, 'cept maybe that lamer who keeps asking things like, "can I hook
up lights in my new garage by using the metal studs as the neutral
wire... I only have one strand of #14. Oh, and can I run 4000W of lights
off that one wire?"

Sure, put them all in series, and connect them to the 7200 volt line

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Need 3PDT, because this motor has four reversing leads. *15A, 110V is all
it needs, and it need not be pretty.

LLoyd

Most lathe motors do have 4 leads from the motor to the reversing
switch.

And most of the conventional reversing switches are 3PDT. Just a
unique configuration that most do not recognize as such.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default BEST UPS Keypad (was: Cheeeep drum switch?)

On 2011-05-18, Ignoramus15557 wrote:

[ ... drum switches snipped ... ]

I think that I sold all I had that I did not need.

Iggy,

I seem to remember that you were once tearing apart old BEST
brand UPS for parts.

Do you by any chance still have the keypad assembly which came
with some of the larger ones? Usually it pulls out of the front at the
end of a coiled cord with an RJ-12 (6-pin) modular connector at each
end.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob AZ fired this volley in news:72a7b724-1815-4c43-
:

Most lathe motors do have 4 leads from the motor to the reversing
switch.

And most of the conventional reversing switches are 3PDT. Just a
unique configuration that most do not recognize as such.

Ayup... but specificity is everything in requesting parts.

LLoyd