Dan Miller

Default Forward Reverse Drum Switch Wiring Help

Hey guys,

I just bought a Furnas R327A forward...stop....reverse drum switch for
the motor on my Lathe. I'm running a Leeson 115V single phase motor. I'm
having a bit of trouble wiring the switch though. I've posted a pdf
diagram here

http://home.comcast.net/~dan-jill/

to illustrate the wiring of the motor and what I've tried. The advice
of anybody with any experience at this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan Miller

Grant Erwin

Dan Miller wrote:

Hey guys,

I just bought a Furnas R327A forward...stop....reverse drum switch for
the motor on my Lathe. I'm running a Leeson 115V single phase motor. I'm
having a bit of trouble wiring the switch though. I've posted a pdf
diagram here

http://home.comcast.net/~dan-jill/

to illustrate the wiring of the motor and what I've tried. The advice of
anybody with any experience at this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan Miller

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/el.../elec-mtr.html
Dan Miller

Thanks Grant,

That page cleared up alot. It appears I was just bipassing the start
capacitor circut altogether in the off mode. Problem is my motor has
thermal protection so it has 7 leads, not 6..... I could bipass it but
I'd like to keep it if its possible to wire the switch with thermal
protection. Any ideas here?

Dan

Grant Erwin wrote:

Dan Miller wrote:

Hey guys,

I just bought a Furnas R327A forward...stop....reverse drum switch
for the motor on my Lathe. I'm running a Leeson 115V single phase
motor. I'm having a bit of trouble wiring the switch though. I've
posted a pdf diagram here

http://home.comcast.net/~dan-jill/

to illustrate the wiring of the motor and what I've tried. The advice
of anybody with any experience at this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan Miller

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/el.../elec-mtr.html

Brian Lawson

Hey Dan

My computer doesn't handle some PDF's too good, and yours is one, so I
can't help with a drawing review. I did want to mention to you, that
even after you get it wired up and have the motor so it will start in
"reverse", please note that single speed AC motors if running in one
direction will not reverse unless they are brought to a stop first.

Take care. Good Luck.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:06:11 -0800, Dan Miller
wrote:

Hey guys,

I just bought a Furnas R327A forward...stop....reverse drum switch for
the motor on my Lathe. I'm running a Leeson 115V single phase motor. I'm
having a bit of trouble wiring the switch though. I've posted a pdf
diagram here

http://home.comcast.net/~dan-jill/

to illustrate the wiring of the motor and what I've tried. The advice
of anybody with any experience at this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan Miller

Wild Bill

The thermal protection device has two leads, and is probably a Klixon-type
which is capable of carrying the motor start/run current.
In the event that the TP device isn't rated for the motor switching current,
don't use it for an AC line voltage protection device. A TP device can be
intended for controlling a relay coil, but most TP devices that are used in
single phase AC motors are capable of carrying the motor current.

You treat one lead of the TP device as a line connection, and the other lead
goes to the motor's line connection, (in series with the motor lead, the TP
opens if the motor temperature reaches the TP cutout temp).

Be aware that TP devices are often the self-resetting type (typically, there
is no external manual reset button.. push to reset), and the motor will be
re-energized when the motor cools down to the TP reset temp.

WB

Grant Erwin wrote:

Dan Miller wrote:

Hey guys,

I just bought a Furnas R327A forward...stop....reverse drum switch
for the motor on my Lathe. I'm running a Leeson 115V single phase
motor. I'm having a bit of trouble wiring the switch though. I've
posted a pdf diagram here

http://home.comcast.net/~dan-jill/

to illustrate the wiring of the motor and what I've tried. The advice
of anybody with any experience at this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan Miller

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/el.../elec-mtr.html

Dan Miller

Thanks Wild Bill,

I've got it figured out now. For future reference if anyone else is
having a similar problem feel free to e-mail me and I can send you a
wiring diagram for this type of situation.

Dan

Grant Erwin wrote:

Dan Miller wrote:

Hey guys,

I just bought a Furnas R327A forward...stop....reverse drum switch
for the motor on my Lathe. I'm running a Leeson 115V single phase
motor. I'm having a bit of trouble wiring the switch though. I've
posted a pdf diagram here

http://home.comcast.net/~dan-jill/

to illustrate the wiring of the motor and what I've tried. The advice
of anybody with any experience at this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan Miller

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/el.../elec-mtr.html

RWL

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:26:19 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Dan Miller wrote:

Hey guys,

I just bought a Furnas R327A forward...stop....reverse drum switch for
the motor on my Lathe. I'm running a Leeson 115V single phase motor. I'm
having a bit of trouble wiring the switch though.

to illustrate the wiring of the motor and what I've tried. The advice of
anybody with any experience at this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan Miller

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/el.../elec-mtr.html

It's gratifying to see that that work is still being used. I wrote it
in 1985 when I had a disk problem and couldn't be up and around.
Don't email me with questions though - I haven't had to use that
information for years. Grant, were you the one that did the ASCI art
work for the diagrams on the web site? That looks like it was a lot
of work to get those lined up.

Bob Lamparter

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

Need help with submersible pump, control and pressure switch wiring Home Repair 4 January 31st 04 08:15 PM
Wiring a 3 way light switch. Mike Hibbert UK diy 8 October 3rd 03 06:51 PM
Isolation switch wiring convention r.galvin UK diy 13 October 1st 03 05:34 AM
Wiring a light switch JohnB UK diy 2 September 5th 03 10:54 PM
Help wiring a dimmer switch please. JohnB UK diy 6 July 30th 03 12:19 PM