Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Furnace

Any ideas on filtering, storage, delivery, and waist disposal of used
oil? Somehow, I need to keep the mess minimal. I'm thinking of making
a ceramic stand for the crucible, will that work? Or making ceramic
screens ? I need the pour clean or flaws will show up during
machining.

I built it big enough to do a large cast iron part in the future, but
will stick to aluminum for the moment.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sunworshipper wrote:
Any ideas on filtering, storage, delivery, and waist disposal of used
oil? Somehow, I need to keep the mess minimal. I'm thinking of making
a ceramic stand for the crucible, will that work? Or making ceramic
screens ? I need the pour clean or flaws will show up during
machining.

I built it big enough to do a large cast iron part in the future, but
will stick to aluminum for the moment.

SW

I hang here to learn from those with more experience .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 May 2011 20:36:23 -0500, "Snag"
wrote:

Sunworshipper wrote:
Any ideas on filtering, storage, delivery, and waist disposal of used
oil? Somehow, I need to keep the mess minimal. I'm thinking of making
a ceramic stand for the crucible, will that work? Or making ceramic
screens ? I need the pour clean or flaws will show up during
machining.

I built it big enough to do a large cast iron part in the future, but
will stick to aluminum for the moment.

SW

I hang here to learn from those with more experience .

They flooded my email when I had that option turned off.

There is another one and they won't let me play.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 May 2011 18:32:13 -0500, Sunworshipper
SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:

Any ideas on filtering, storage, delivery, and waist disposal of used
oil? Somehow, I need to keep the mess minimal. I'm thinking of making
a ceramic stand for the crucible, will that work? Or making ceramic
screens ? I need the pour clean or flaws will show up during
machining.

I built it big enough to do a large cast iron part in the future, but
will stick to aluminum for the moment.

SW

===========
see
http://www.lindsaybks.com/prod/sub/foundry.html
the following are a few of those on this URL
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/chasoil/index.html
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks5/chalfur/index.html
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks7/chas1/index.html
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks8/chas2/index.html
http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/cruc/index.html

No connection with Lindsay except as a very satisfied
customer.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Sunworshipper wrote:
Any ideas on filtering, storage, delivery, and waist disposal of
used oil? Somehow, I need to keep the mess minimal. I'm thinking
of making a ceramic stand for the crucible, will that work? Or
making ceramic screens ? I need the pour clean or flaws will show
up during machining.

I built it big enough to do a large cast iron part in the future,
but will stick to aluminum for the moment.

SW

I hang here to learn from those with more experience .

They flooded my email when I had that option turned off.

There is another one and they won't let me play.

SW

You should be able to select a digest option that'll send 'em all in one
ortwo "digests" per day . Dunno what you read email with , I use OE and have
multiple inboxes set up , one for each email list I read . Makes it easy to
ignore one if I'm too busy right now to read ...
Can't imagine why a list wouldn't let you play .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Sunworshipper wrote:
[...]

I've basically given up on yeh hoo groups. The other one, I filled out
the request for invite and never got a response. I read a whole bunch,
but learned more from videos. Rejection isn't anything new to me, the
last two years of high school I lived alone and worked most of my life
alone.

Need to ask around for waist veggy oil, maybe that would be easier to
work with. But, that might have even more waist sludge that needs
disposal. Could burn it in the fire pit, but thinking it will burn
forever and hot, thus cracking the cool rocks around it.

Kinda at a stand still till I find more parts and work out the next
direction. I need a junk yard type place to buy stuff from cheap.
Finding just scrap steel to weld together is a task. I just keep
thinking about running out of stuff to build stuff because everybody
is broke and it disappears to the recycling scrap yards.

Know of a place to buy crucibles at? Always have trouble coming up
with search terms for sale. Buy, sale, cost, price, store, cart,...
Probably not buy one but would like to know what they cost for larger
ones.

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Sunworshipper wrote:
[...]

There's one forum , lemmee see ...
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/forums/ that I had to email a specific
dude to get activated - that may be the one you're talking about , maybe
not . Lotsa good info out there .

Need to ask around for waist veggy oil, maybe that would be easier to
work with. But, that might have even more waist sludge that needs
disposal. Could burn it in the fire pit, but thinking it will burn
forever and hot, thus cracking the cool rocks around it.

Kinda at a stand still till I find more parts and work out the next
direction. I need a junk yard type place to buy stuff from cheap.
Finding just scrap steel to weld together is a task. I just keep
thinking about running out of stuff to build stuff because everybody
is broke and it disappears to the recycling scrap yards.

Heh , one of my neighbors is a part-time scrapper and he often gives me
first pick . He knows what I want , and I give him just a bit above the
recyclers .

Know of a place to buy crucibles at? Always have trouble coming up
with search terms for sale. Buy, sale, cost, price, store, cart,...
Probably not buy one but would like to know what they cost for larger
ones.

SW

Check out Legend Inc. in Sparks Nevada . I make my own ... for aluminum a
piece of steel pipe/tubing a couple inches smaller than the ID of your
furnace with a plate welded on for a bottom works well . Length to suit your
needs ... those short fat propane cylinders make a halfway decent one for
about 25-30 melts . Burner erodes them if you're not careful . My current
ones include one of 11ga 4" square tube , 4" dia steel tube (short one) and
a couple of small slip-cast ceramics for brass.
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 May 2011 08:39:06 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

There's one forum , lemmee see ...
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/forums/ that I had to email a specific
dude to get activated - that may be the one you're talking about , maybe
not . Lotsa good info out there .

Good folks, and a great source of information on casting. They unfortunately
have to use that method to keep spamers out. A simply paragraph describing why
you are interested in casting is all it takes. Must not be very exclusive since
they let me in:-O
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

There's one forum , lemmee see ...
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/forums/ that I had to email a
specific dude to get activated - that may be the one you're talking
about , maybe not . Lotsa good info out there .

Good folks, and a great source of information on casting. They
unfortunately have to use that method to keep spamers out. A simply
paragraph describing why you are interested in casting is all it
takes. Must not be very exclusive since they let me in:-O
--
William

Well , and me too ! I found them when I was looking for info on slip
casting crucibles . Ended up kinda flying by the seat of my pants on that
one , but the two I made have been thru a couple of heat cycles each and
haven't cracked...
And one's melted brass twice !
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/foionelrums/ that I had to email a specific
dude to get activated - that may be the one you're talking about , maybe
not . Lotsa good info out there .

Yeap, that one, I even emailed Lionel to ask a question with no
answer. That's the one I read a lot from, ye hoo is hidden.

Is temperature really a big issue? If so how is it observed?

Need to ask around for waist veggy oil, maybe that would be easier to
work with. But, that might have even more waist sludge that needs
disposal. Could burn it in the fire pit, but thinking it will burn
forever and hot, thus cracking the cool rocks around it.

Kinda at a stand still till I find more parts and work out the next
direction. I need a junk yard type place to buy stuff from cheap.
Finding just scrap steel to weld together is a task. I just keep
thinking about running out of stuff to build stuff because everybody
is broke and it disappears to the recycling scrap yards.

Heh , one of my neighbors is a part-time scrapper and he often gives me
first pick . He knows what I want , and I give him just a bit above the
recyclers .

I've got one of those also, but he has nothing ferrous at the moment.
I picked up some stuff at the place I found the metal wheels. BTW, I
wouldn't have got away with burning the solid rubber off the wheels in
the city. Plus foundry work is illegal in NV. thus one of the many
reasons to move. Only bad thing is loosing the zero state tax stuff.
Should have INC.ed back when I lived there, but never could figure out
which is best C or S corporation. Still don't know after 3 attorneys
and the secretary of state BS.

Know of a place to buy crucibles at? Always have trouble coming up
with search terms for sale. Buy, sale, cost, price, store, cart,...
Probably not buy one but would like to know what they cost for larger
ones.

SW

Check out Legend Inc. in Sparks Nevada . I make my own ... for aluminum a
piece of steel pipe/tubing a couple inches smaller than the ID of your
furnace with a plate welded on for a bottom works well . Length to suit your
needs ... those short fat propane cylinders make a halfway decent one for
about 25-30 melts . Burner erodes them if you're not careful . My current
ones include one of 11ga 4" square tube , 4" dia steel tube (short one) and
a couple of small slip-cast ceramics for brass.

Funny, I use to blow through that town every time I went swimming ,
mine hunting, and cliff diving below the dam. Their site has a mistake
in BTW, 300 oz. won't fit in a 4.5" crucible, maybe drop a zero.

I have an almost prefect steel pipe with a welded on dome cap, but
when I cut it off the pipe that became my gantry crane it is about 2"
short of this project. Bummer, can't always see that far in the future
with a chop saw in hand.

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sunworshipper wrote:

Is temperature really a big issue? If so how is it observed?

SW

A lot of guys give it a couple or three minutes superheat after total
melt - and I used to . Then I managed to find a thermocouple that will work
with my digital multimeter . With a downloaded chart I can get a lot closer
to the temp I want . I think this has given me better repeatability in my
pours. Remote reading IR thermometers don't work ... or so it been said . I
haven't tried one .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Where do I get this part for an oil furnace? Has the furnace died? mm Home Repair 10 October 27th 09 03:27 PM
Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem) jack Home Repair 5 November 9th 08 02:22 PM
run my oil forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keep the furnace from rusting clickclack Home Repair 7 July 7th 06 10:55 PM
Thick accordion-type furnace filters - can I retrofit furnace for standard? bryanska Home Ownership 1 August 9th 05 09:24 PM
Replacing gas furnace (was New Gas Furnace Time) [email protected] Home Ownership 0 February 18th 05 09:31 PM