Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody here machine 17-4ph HH-1150?

So I'm starting a job machining 174-ph HH-1150. I've found lotsa info
on condition H1150 but not much on HH1150. I know that the HH1150 is
heat treated twice at 1150 degrees F and that it's hardness is 28RC.
It is softer than the annealed condition. What I have not been able to
find out about is whether it will be gummy and tend to stick to the
cutting tool like 316SS or 304SS. It's been several years since I
machined any 17-4 (12 years maybe?) and I don't remember the condition
it came in. I don't think it was HH1150. It seems like HH1150 is now
more common than H1150 because it is mostly backwards compatible with
H1150. But how long this has been the case I don't know.
Thanks,
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:LfmdnVctV5SDkCLQnZ2dnUVZ_oudnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

wrote in message
So I'm starting a job machining 174-ph HH-1150. I've found lotsa info
on condition H1150 but not much on HH1150. I know that the HH1150 is
heat treated twice at 1150 degrees F and that it's hardness is 28RC.
It is softer than the annealed condition. What I have not been able to
find out about is whether it will be gummy and tend to stick to the
cutting tool like 316SS or 304SS. It's been several years since I
machined any 17-4 (12 years maybe?) and I don't remember the condition
it came in. I don't think it was HH1150. It seems like HH1150 is now
more common than H1150 because it is mostly backwards compatible with
H1150. But how long this has been the case I don't know.
Thanks,
Eric

Cuts like butter.

I've yet to find anything that cuts like butter other than ice cream,
crisco, or ... Well, umentionables.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Magnesium. Maybe like frozen butter. Mama mia, it's a dream.

However, when I worked in a shop in Princeton, I did start two small fires
with it. It's the reason I acquired little milling experience on that job.
People wanted to leave the building when I got near the mills. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 2 May 2011 12:59:19 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
So I'm starting a job machining 174-ph HH-1150. I've found lotsa info
on condition H1150 but not much on HH1150. I know that the HH1150 is
heat treated twice at 1150 degrees F and that it's hardness is 28RC.
It is softer than the annealed condition. What I have not been able to
find out about is whether it will be gummy and tend to stick to the
cutting tool like 316SS or 304SS. It's been several years since I
machined any 17-4 (12 years maybe?) and I don't remember the condition
it came in. I don't think it was HH1150. It seems like HH1150 is now
more common than H1150 because it is mostly backwards compatible with
H1150. But how long this has been the case I don't know.
Thanks,
Eric

Cuts like butter.

Thanks for the reply. It's what I was thinking and hoping. I'll write
the programs now with higher SFPM
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Mon, 2 May 2011 18:40:16 +0000 (UTC):

So I'm starting a job machining 174-ph HH-1150. I've found lotsa info
on condition H1150 but not much on HH1150. I know that the HH1150 is
heat treated twice at 1150 degrees F and that it's hardness is 28RC.
It is softer than the annealed condition. What I have not been able to
find out about is whether it will be gummy and tend to stick to the
cutting tool like 316SS or 304SS. It's been several years since I
machined any 17-4 (12 years maybe?) and I don't remember the condition
it came in. I don't think it was HH1150. It seems like HH1150 is now
more common than H1150 because it is mostly backwards compatible with
H1150. But how long this has been the case I don't know.
Thanks,
Eric

I've turned a fair bit on a swiss lathe. It is gummy, and the chips
don't like to break. It will work harden if you look at it funny.
Feed at .0015"/rev MINIMUM. Don't get it hot, keep coolant on the
cut, don't tickle it. Get into the cut and keep cutting. Lower
speed(rpm) higher feed(ipr). I don't know what SFM I run it at, but
I'm usually working with .250" to .625" stock and start off a 1500
RPM. If you find the right conditions, your drills and other tools
will last as long as if you were cutting 303ss or 304ss.

A light clean up pass(.010") will give a good finish.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dan" wrote in message
[...]

I question our experience if you find a comparison between 303 and 304. They
clearly do NOT machine the same way. 304 can be a real PITA. It is not a
free machining stainless, while 303 is. Common free machining 303 is
303S, but in my experience, 303Se has the edge. Neither of them compare to
416, however. It's very nice to machine.

H1150 won't machine like butter, but it does machine quite well. It's
condition H900 that is troublesome. So long as the cutting edge remains
sharp, it cuts cleanly, with a shine. With tip failure, it commonly cuts
with whiskers.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Tue, 03 May 2011 06:02:57 GMT:

"dan" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't intend to imply that they similar to machine.

304 can be a real PITA. It is not a
free machining stainless, while 303 is.
Harold

Yes, I know the difference between 304 and 303. I But when you get
the right speeds and feeds for each one, your tools will last much
longer.

If you are only making a few parts you might not notice. But when you
make thousands, and keep notes of when you have to change inserts, you
can home in on the best speed and feed rate for each alloy and job,
and the tool life goes up quite a bit. And you have the added benefit
of being able to change out the insert before it really fails.

What I was trying to get across is that 17-4ph isn't any more of a
mystery to machine than 304(tough) or 303(easy). You just need to
know the right speeds and feeds for the cutting conditions.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

PrecisionmachinisT wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Tue, 3 May 2011 10:54:00 -0700:

Be careful when turning though, esp on a manual machine--the chips are
usually long and quite stringy and very sharp and they will cut you quite
badly given the slightest provocation oftentimes requiring stitches even.

And how! I have to put chips from my machines into a spinner to
recover the cutting oil, and I have to be very careful when dumping
out the spinner basket. One small thread around your finger could
skin you to the bone.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dan" wrote in message
snip--
What I was trying to get across is that 17-4ph isn't any more of a
mystery to machine than 304(tough) or 303(easy). You just need to
know the right speeds and feeds for the cutting conditions.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Yep! I agree. Well stated.