Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dell Inspiron 1150

Have a Dell Inspiron 1150 notebook. some issue with the power adaptor.
It is beeping and and the Green led is flashing. I know how to test
everything inside the adaptor however problem is getting it apart.
Can't see any screws, and don't seem to be any clips on the sides.
Anyone know how to take it apart to see what the problem is with it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 21:36:21 -0700 (PDT), plexter
wrote:

Have a Dell Inspiron 1150 notebook. some issue with the power adaptor.
It is beeping and and the Green led is flashing. I know how to test
everything inside the adaptor however problem is getting it apart.
Can't see any screws, and don't seem to be any clips on the sides.
Anyone know how to take it apart to see what the problem is with it.

New replacement adapters are about $25 on eBay.

The case is solvent welded or glued together. It's designed to keep
you out. I don't think (not sure) that there are any screws under the
stick on labels. However, the glue is brittle and can be "cracked"
loose by simply beating on the power supply with a hammer. I wrap the
glue line with masking tape, and pound on the tape line with a handy
claw hammer. Pound all the way around the case along the glue line.
The case will usually breaks open at the seam. The trick is to not
hit it too hard.

If it doesn't open, I continue beating on it until the case just
crumbles. I have one "test" power supply with a replacement cardboard
case wrapped in duct tape. Ugly, dangerous, but functional.

Incidentally, watch out for charged hi-v capacitors when you get
inside. You'll probably find that all the electrolytic capacitors
have had their tops blown off.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

plexter wrote:
Have a Dell Inspiron 1150 notebook. some issue with the power adaptor.
It is beeping and and the Green led is flashing. I know how to test
everything inside the adaptor however problem is getting it apart.
Can't see any screws, and don't seem to be any clips on the sides.
Anyone know how to take it apart to see what the problem is with it.

Second the hammer idea. That's how I got mine apart. The Dell supplies
have thicker than usual casings. You probably 'will' damage the plastic
getting it cracked open. Also, be advised that these supplies are very
densely packed inside. Getting the cover off is just the first step.
You'll find the entire circuit wrapped in copper, which is
doublestick-taped on, and soldered. Once that's off, it's still
difficult to get around inside.

Good luck fixing it, but I concur with Jeff. Get a new pack...although
feel free to attempt a repair if you feel you're qualified (or you
haven't anything better to do).

jak