Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air drying lumber

For 8ft long lumber, how many supports should one use when air drying?

I bought a dozen 2x12 x 8ft boards at the local big box store.
Geez talk about mediocre wood. Most were pretty damp and I am hoping
it was because they got rained on.

I "borrowed" the lath strips that got exposed as I picked through the
pile. I have eight strips that run almost the full width and laid
those down on the garage floor - a bit over a foot apart.

I'm thinking I will sacrifice some free yard sticks and add those to
the pile.

Thanks,

JJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"JJ" wrote in message
For 8ft long lumber, how many supports should one use when air
drying?

I bought a dozen 2x12 x 8ft boards at the local big box store.
Geez talk about mediocre wood. Most were pretty damp and I am
hoping
it was because they got rained on.

I "borrowed" the lath strips that got exposed as I picked through
the
pile. I have eight strips that run almost the full width and laid
those down on the garage floor - a bit over a foot apart.

I'm thinking I will sacrifice some free yard sticks and add those to
the pile.

Thanks,

JJ

What is the species?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 25, 12:09*am, (JJ) wrote:
For 8ft long lumber, how many supports should one use when air drying?

I bought a dozen 2x12 x 8ft boards at the local big box store.
Geez talk about mediocre wood. *Most were pretty damp and I am hoping
it was because they got rained on.

I "borrowed" the lath strips that got exposed as I picked through the
pile. *I have eight strips that run almost the full width and laid
those down on the garage floor - a bit over a foot apart.

I'm thinking I will sacrifice some free yard sticks and add those to
the pile.

Thanks,

JJ

Fine Woodworking has repeatedly run articles on how to air-dry rough
lumber. IIRC, they usually sticker the slabs spaced about 2'-3' apart
in the pile. Usually recommend putting a tin "roof" over the top if
outside. They seal the ends with tar or shellac to keep end checks
down. Air-dying has become a bit easier now that cheap moisture
meters are available, HF has one that would probably do. If you can
add some air movement via a fan, if indoors, it'd probably dry things
a little faster. With the lumber we get these days, it'll be a wonder
if it doesn't pretzel on you.

As far as sticker material, most guys rip their own from short ends of
2x4s and the like. You don't need more than 1/4" thick and the width
of the board, boards are stacked. Or just get a bundle of lath and
have a lifetime supply.

If your lumber is from a big-box, I've run into some supposedly "Kiln-
Dried" 2x stuff that's either taken a dunk in a river while getting
transported or is no such thing. I've shopped elsewhere after that.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JJ wrote:
I bought a dozen 2x12 x 8ft boards at the local big box store.
Geez talk about mediocre wood. Most were pretty damp and I am hoping
it was because they got rained on.

You do NOT want to dry it! It's kiln dried and the moisture is just on
the surface. When it dries, it is going to warp, twist, bow, and deform
in dimensions that you can't imagine. G

What you want to do is use it, as soon as possible. Building it into a
structure is the only way to keep it straight.

Oh, wait ... you're not talking about pressure treated, are you? It's
always wet - it's been saturated with preservative.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 02:13:16 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

"JJ" wrote in message
For 8ft long lumber, how many supports should one use when air
drying?

I bought a dozen 2x12 x 8ft boards at the local big box store.
Geez talk about mediocre wood. Most were pretty damp and I am
hoping
it was because they got rained on.

They keep them wet at the store so they don't warp _before_ you buy
them.

I "borrowed" the lath strips that got exposed as I picked through
the
pile. I have eight strips that run almost the full width and laid
those down on the garage floor - a bit over a foot apart.

I'm thinking I will sacrifice some free yard sticks and add those to
the pile.

Thanks,

JJ

What is the species?

Premium, spotted-owl-safe, old-growth SPF.

--
Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences.
No good is ever done in this world by hesitation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , (JJ)
wrote:

For 8ft long lumber, how many supports should one use when air drying?

I bought a dozen 2x12 x 8ft boards at the local big box store.
Geez talk about mediocre wood. Most were pretty damp and I am hoping
it was because they got rained on.

I "borrowed" the lath strips that got exposed as I picked through the
pile. I have eight strips that run almost the full width and laid
those down on the garage floor - a bit over a foot apart.

I'm thinking I will sacrifice some free yard sticks and add those to
the pile.

For 1-inch (real 1 inch, not 3/4 inch planed) 2 feet will do. 3 feet is
fine for 2 inch. So 2 at the ends and two even spaced in the middle will
be fine for stickering an 8-foot long pile of 1-1/2 inch planed. What
you need and probably don't have is sufficient weight on the top of the
stack to pin it in place on each of those 4 points. You can either use
actual weight, or you can drop anchors in a concrete slab and use
threaded rod to wind down on crosspieces.

The bottom sticker (term for the crossways piece of separating wood)
holding it up off the concrete floor should be fairly large, or the damp
from the concrete floor affects things too much - 2x4 on edge or 4x4 to
allow good air circulation under the stack. A regular sticker (3/4x1
inch or so - set on the 3/4 face) goes on top so that you don't have the
wide top of that on the board. Lath and yardstick are better than
nothing, but really too thin even for between the boards stickers, which
should be about an inch thick.

Best bet - go find the nearest real lumberyard that's still in business,
and return the crap to the box store - all the box stores sell is crap
lumber. While the lumber at the real lumberyards is nothing like it was
30 years ago, it's a heck of a lot better than box store lumber.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I bought a dozen 2x12 x 8ft boards at the local big box store.
Geez talk about mediocre wood. Most were pretty damp and I am
hoping
it was because they got rained on.

They keep them wet at the store so they don't warp _before_ you buy
them.

Heck, they keep them in bondage so they don't warp. Cut the bonds, watch them warp.

Now if they would *only* take that pallet of material and give it time to dry out in the
parking lot, sheltered from rain for a few months, it would be pretty good stuff.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:

I bought a dozen 2x12 x 8ft boards at the local big box store.
Geez talk about mediocre wood. Most were pretty damp and I am
hoping
it was because they got rained on.

They keep them wet at the store so they don't warp _before_ you buy
them.

Heck, they keep them in bondage so they don't warp. Cut the bonds, watch
them warp.

Now if they would *only* take that pallet of material and give it time to
dry out in the
parking lot, sheltered from rain for a few months, it would be pretty good
stuff.

Wes

I bring 2 x 4s home from the yard, sticker them, and cover them with a tarp
for at least six months before using them. I always have a supply of dry or
near-dry ones on hand.

I usually brush the ends with molten paraffin before stickering them up,
unless they're already well covered. I wouldn't do this if I were using them
to frame a house; I'd try to get them nailed up and sheathed before they
warp out of shape.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Wes" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Quite a few portable bandsaw mills operate in my area who will trade labor
for logs at a 50/50 split 2x4 and larger rough cut--hit a nail, buy a
blade....

--Anyways, usual procedure for green doug is paint the ends, sticker every
other row, and cinch tight with nylon strap or banding once every few lineal
feet..store inside else under tarp.

clothes drying Jon Fairbairn UK diy 9 February 5th 09 03:41 AM
What do you take to test lumber at lumber yard eganders Woodworking 9 October 15th 07 10:27 PM
end coating on drying lumber? Toller Woodworking 9 April 29th 06 02:29 PM
Air drying lumber toller Woodworking 35 April 6th 05 04:46 AM
Air Drying Lumber-Turbo Method? JGS Woodworking 3 July 17th 04 04:50 AM