Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Air drying lumber

On Apr 25, 12:09*am, (JJ) wrote:
For 8ft long lumber, how many supports should one use when air drying?

I bought a dozen 2x12 x 8ft boards at the local big box store.
Geez talk about mediocre wood. *Most were pretty damp and I am hoping
it was because they got rained on.

I "borrowed" the lath strips that got exposed as I picked through the
pile. *I have eight strips that run almost the full width and laid
those down on the garage floor - a bit over a foot apart.

I'm thinking I will sacrifice some free yard sticks and add those to
the pile.

Thanks,

JJ

Fine Woodworking has repeatedly run articles on how to air-dry rough
lumber. IIRC, they usually sticker the slabs spaced about 2'-3' apart
in the pile. Usually recommend putting a tin "roof" over the top if
outside. They seal the ends with tar or shellac to keep end checks
down. Air-dying has become a bit easier now that cheap moisture
meters are available, HF has one that would probably do. If you can
add some air movement via a fan, if indoors, it'd probably dry things
a little faster. With the lumber we get these days, it'll be a wonder
if it doesn't pretzel on you.

As far as sticker material, most guys rip their own from short ends of
2x4s and the like. You don't need more than 1/4" thick and the width
of the board, boards are stacked. Or just get a bundle of lath and
have a lifetime supply.

If your lumber is from a big-box, I've run into some supposedly "Kiln-
Dried" 2x stuff that's either taken a dunk in a river while getting
transported or is no such thing. I've shopped elsewhere after that.

Stan