Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Air drying lumber

"Wes" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:

I bought a dozen 2x12 x 8ft boards at the local big box store.
Geez talk about mediocre wood. Most were pretty damp and I am
hoping
it was because they got rained on.

They keep them wet at the store so they don't warp _before_ you buy
them.

Heck, they keep them in bondage so they don't warp. Cut the bonds, watch
them warp.

Now if they would *only* take that pallet of material and give it time to
dry out in the
parking lot, sheltered from rain for a few months, it would be pretty good
stuff.

Wes

I bring 2 x 4s home from the yard, sticker them, and cover them with a tarp
for at least six months before using them. I always have a supply of dry or
near-dry ones on hand.

I usually brush the ends with molten paraffin before stickering them up,
unless they're already well covered. I wouldn't do this if I were using them
to frame a house; I'd try to get them nailed up and sheathed before they
warp out of shape.

--
Ed Huntress