Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sudden very sharp back pain

The wood industry has changed. Ever buy plywood ? Metric.

2x4's are smaller than ever.

Guess you buy from different sites.
Martin

On 4/23/2011 11:17 AM, Josepi wrote:
You seem to be very political aware so you probably already know where
most of Canada is at.

Our system is about the same as the US except we pushed out metric a
little harder for a while. There was a case of a gas station owner
selling in "Imperial gallons" and he was taken to court over it, where
the judge said something like "I don't care what you sell it in as long
as it is defined" and that was the end of forcing metric down our
throats....too bad in some repstecs but until we get the bog bad wolf US
to convert we are in a mixed bag for most users.

I always say the wood industry won't convert until the sheet of ply wood
starts to go metric sizes. You can't space sruds at some metric size
when sheet goods are still 4x8'. 2x4s.. who cares if they are 184 x
235mm or whatever? As long as the delivery truck sends all the same
sizes...LOL

You guys (the US) seem to get screwed by the French every time. Reading
the history the French like to devise standards, you guys jump in and
then they change it all and the rest of the world seems to follow on
another standard. The same thing happened on the short and long scale
counting systems but it always appears to be the French devised systems.
They must be obsessed with the length of their dicks and constantly need
a new measurement system...LOL

You can tell the extent of your leadership prowess by the number of
peoples that are ****ed off at you. Better you than us!

Have a good one!
------------------
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message ...
I think you'll find that most countries, not just Canada (or the US) do not
use the SI system universally, even though they use the metric system.
France may be an exception, but then, they usually are. d8-)

The whole metric issue in the US is not well understood by people from
other
countries. Most of our big-time manufacturing is fully metric. The small
shop owners here who do contract jobbing will tell you that they are
working
in metric as much as in inch (we don't call it "Imperial," because it's
really not), or, if they serve the automotive, medical, or aerospace
industries, they are almost exclusively metric. This has been true for
decades.

There are two reasons for using metrics. One is the ease of working with
formulas that involve multiple units -- force, distance, mass, etc. That's
of more importance in science and engineering research, where we are fully
metricized. The other reason is cross-border compatability. In those cases,
where it matters, we use metrics. But it usually doesn't matter. If you
were
buying an American toaster (if we still made toasters) in Italy, you
wouldn't care much if the screws in it were metric or inch. But we'd
probably be using metric fasteners, anyway.

As for using metrics versus inch in a metalworking shop, it doesn't really
matter at all. Most of the units you're using are linear dimensions, and it
hardly matters which base you start with for that. Angles, speeds, etc. are
non-dimensional (degrees) or based on universal units (hours, etc.), so
it's
irrelevent for those measurements.

It's a tempest in a teapot. People from other countries are ****ed off
at us
because we won't jump on their one-world bandwagon. But they're always
****ed off at us, anyway. d8-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 22, 8:48*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

On Apr 19, 1:21 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

* *Typical, you snipped everything when you reply.

Sorry - did I stuff up a coherent reply by doing that - apologies,
please tell me what vital thing I left out.

if you got done by (type 2? - not sure) diabetes, then you got the
short end of the stick. You didn't have time to stuff yourself up
physically. . At least, not properly.

Mate, lifting big console tv's ended in the 70's - is this some sort
of memory of how tuff you were, or just a random rant? Or something
you did for a few weeks while you did something else? -give some
context here. how long did you do it, was it more than work
experience?

You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Yep, true.

* *Keep making a fool of yourself, we're all used to it.

Thank you - from you, thats appreciated. I aim to be consistent, one
of the basic rules of philosophical debate. Happy to post the rest of
the rules, been codified for several hundred years now - you do know
this, dont you.?....where were you educated?
(this is why social skills and basic literacy is now a mandated part
of most engineering courses, they finally realised Engineers where
social idiots)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Yep, still true.
Duct tape is pretty good tho. Abrade the surface so it can key to it
- - you actually ever DONE anything? - this aint about your suburban
ego, mate. This is the real world, not some cosy comfortable VDU
screen...and the Chardonnay Swilling Bourgeois just get in the bloody
way...come the revolution.....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 23, 6:51*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 02:29:05 -0700 (PDT), Andrew VK3BFA

wrote:
On Apr 19, 3:06*am, Gunner Asch wrote:

Gunner

Gunner - fair enuff, sounds good to me, cant argue with much/most of
that. OK, I shot me mouth off. bad day/century, whatever. sorry.
-mate, stuff the antique bike stuff, get something you can ride, use,
in the years ahead. KISS, ok? - sell some of the scrap, do it now, do
it while you still can. Its later than you think.

Still dont understand your tag line - is it right wing wit, or what?

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

Typical, you snipped everything when you reply.

Sorry - did I stuff up a coherent reply by doing that - apologies,
please tell me what vital thing I left out.

if you got done by (type 2? - not sure) diabetes, then you got the
short end of the stick. You didn't have time to stuff yourself up
physically. . At least, not properly.

Mate, lifting big console tv's ended in the 70's - is this some sort
of memory of how tuff you were, or just a random rant? Or something
you did for a few weeks while you did something else? -give some
context here. how long did you do it, was it more than work
experience?

I did it from the mid '60s till the early '80s. i started at 13,
part time in a TV shop.

Keep making a fool of yourself, we're all used to it.

Thank you - from you, thats appreciated. I aim to be consistent, one
of the basic rules of philosophical debate. Happy to post the rest of
the rules, been codified for several hundred years now - you do know
this, dont you.?....where were you educated?

My formal education ended with high school. I taught myself
electronics from magazines and used college EE textbooks. Apparently I
did a good job, because I tested out of a three year engineering course
in the Army and was later awarded a letter of commendation for doing
work that supposedly couldn't be done outside of the AFRTS service depot
in Sacramento. I wrote some ECOs on the equipment at my last job, and
several of the engineers wanted to know why I didn't have an EE degree.

The only other education I received was basic training to kill with a
M16 and cold weather survival, in Alaska

(this is why social skills and basic literacy is now a mandated part
of most engineering courses, they finally realised Engineers where
social idiots)

Engineers with 'social skills' end up in sales, because they aren't
good engineers. Good engineers just want to be left alone, and get the
job done. The only anti social engineer I ever worked with wasn't with
the company for very long. He came highly recommended, but was
absolutely useless. For instance: He wanted to change our inventory
system by assigning a single part number to parts. He smiled and said
"For example: 10K resistors would have 103 for a part number". He got
extremely ****ed off when I pointed out that we had seven different
types of 10K resistors in our current inventory.

You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Yep, still true.
Duct tape is pretty good tho. Abrade the surface so it can key to it
- - you actually ever DONE anything? - this aint about your suburban
ego, mate. This is the real world, not some cosy comfortable VDU
screen...and the Chardonnay Swilling Bourgeois just get in the bloody
way...come the revolution.....

Sigh. I was a TV broadcast engineer at three TV stations. The first
was in the US Army. The second was at a 5 MW EIRP UHF station with a
transmitter site near Orange City, Florida. The tower was 1749 feet AAT
and had a freight elevator for maintenance. There were two TV stations,
five FM radio stations and a lot of trunked radio and government
repeaters. I built the third station with a 'heavy iron' 1952 RCA UHF
transmitter that weighed around 10,000 pounds. I dismantled it,
transported it from Central Florida to the Florida panhandle and
reassembled it.

I owned and ran an industrial electronics repair business for several
decades. Everything from sound systems to industrial controls. I had
three school systems under contract for all their electronic repairs,
and a lot of business called be when something failed and their
production line was down. I even repaired electrical problems on
forklifts and some heavy earth movers after other people had screwed
them up.

I owned and ran a computer store for several years, but the location
wasn't very good and the landlord was a pain.

I was building telemetry equipment for the aerospace industry when my
health failed. NOAA, NASA, ESA and other agencies bought their equipment
from us. Most of it was large, heavy and built to last for decades of
continuous service. Some was fairly lightweight, and was picked by NASA
to be put aboard the ISS. My official title was production test tech,
but I worked with every department in the plant. When there was a dirty
job, or new product, it hit my bench, or I was sent to engineering to
solve the problems.

Reality is that I am in pain 24/7 and only have two or three
productive hours a day. I don't drink. I had a couple beers in the
early '70s, and didn't finish either can.

I recently picked up a 70+ pound computer monitor from my office
computer table and set it on the floor. No easy place to hold on to it,
but I handled it OK. I was still able to load 200 pound empty relay
racks by myself a couple years ago, but I haven't needed to recently.

I collect & repair old computers to give away, and that includes some
heavy monitors. I have to lock my left knee to walk without a cane, but
still manage just fine.

I was a few years from retirement age when my health failed.

IOW, I lead a very productive life.

Now. Have YOU ever done anything?

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 11:57:17 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 22:43:09 -0400, "Josepi"
wrote:

Anybody got a Canadian equivalent of those sugar readings? Ou scales go
from
about 4.0 to 20-30.

Funny the Canucks always use different scales for all medical reading than
the US does.

Must have something to do with the weird gallon they use...LOL

It's the Yanks that use strange numbers. When the rest of the world
still used gallons, it was only the USA that used the "short" gallon -
and now that the rest of the world has gone metric, it is basically
ONLY the US that is holding out using their "weird" measurement
system.

Why would it matter?

The USA uses mg/dl, the rest of the world uses mmol - and to convert
mg/dl to mmol you devide by 18. To convert mmol to mg/dl you multiply
by 18

mmol is milimole per liter.
mg/dl is .01 grams per liter.

Approx .18 grams/mmol

Most of the research on both blood diseases and diabetes was done in the US,
and the system of measurement we use for blood glucose concentration is
indeed metric -- mg/dl.

It was a Canadian who "discovered" insulin.

What we tend to avoid for consumer use is SI units -- in this case,
millimoles per liter. Most countries around the world have one or more
objections to SI, so you're unlikely to find a "pure" SI system anywhere. In
Canada, the Porsche Cayman R is advertised as having an engine that produces
330 horsepower, not 246 kilowatts. The Audi S6 sold in Canada is advertised
as producing 398 lb-ft of torque at 3000 rpm, not 540 Newton-meters.

WHO is it that has the mixed system? g

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 20:10:45 -0500, Ignoramus30510

On 2011-04-20, Jon wrote:
On 04/17/2011 07:35 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Sitting can agravate some kinds of back problems, and the pain can be
there or lower (like in the legs or hips).

YEAH! When I screwed up my back some years ago, I had a Toyota Corolla.
Normally, the seat didn't bother me any, but when my back was in bad
shape, that seat could leave me practically crippled after driving
to/from work. I rolled up a jacket and set it in the angle between
seat- and back-part of the car seat, and it helped immensely. It just
changed the tilt of my pelvis when sitting there, and made a big difference.

Anyway, I hope Iggy's back is starting to clear up, it was NO FUN when I
had that problem. I just lived with it, and it got essentially
completely better, but I have to watch out to not overstress whatever it
is there that is now a weak spot.

Jon

Jon, thanks, it is much better today, it is the first day when I do
not have major discomfort.

Glad you are feeling better but I must ask, did you follow advice given
here and go to a chiropractor or acupuncturist??

I did not.

The point I'm getting at here is that chiropractic and acupuncture are
quackery and, if you had gone to either, you may have concluded that the
improvement you are seeing now was a result rather than the natural
course of events now that you have 1)removed yourself from the original
cause of the pain, and 2) waited a while for the swelling to subside
naturally.

I agree.

Quacks make great use of the fact that most (90%?)illnesses and disease
will resolve itself given removal of the original cause and passage of
time. Anyhow, the taking of an anti-inflammatory, in moderation, can be
helpful in speeding the recovery process but, if the condition returns,
even with moderate load on the back, I would go to an actual doctor i.e
a physician for further treatment as required. He may refer you to a
physiotherapist or prescribe other medications but at least you will
have confidence that scientific medicine is being utilized rather than
snake oil.

PS, I know what it's like and I advise anyone who cares to listen to
take care of your back because if you abuse it (or even if you don't),
back problems can be a lifetime sentence.

I think that what I have no is periods of no exercise, followed by
lifting something extremely heavy for me, like an engine or a big
whatever.

This is not healthy.

I should exercise regularly so that my back muscles are strongly and
the back is better supported.

I say you are right - just take it easy getting into the exercise
regimen - seeing a physiotherapist to learn the right exercises to
strengthen the right parts of the back first might be a good move,
too.

I stay away from the "back-benders" - saw one the last time I had a
back issue - it felt GREAT for 1/2 an hour after each of the 2
treatments - but if anything worse the next day.

I relaxed for a few days, then I HAD to go shovel some snow - I took
it easy, and in about 10 minutes I was "warmed up" and the pain left,
as fast as it had come a week earlier.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 11:57:17 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I know that it was a Canadian who isolated therapeutic insulin from
dogs' pancreases. I've been a Type I diabetic for 36 years, and I was active
in several self-help groups.

But right up through the production of biologic human insulin, and the
development of the Medtronic insulin pump, as well as many other treatments
and research, most of it was done in the US.

--
Ed Huntress

What we tend to avoid for consumer use is SI units -- in this case,
millimoles per liter. Most countries around the world have one or more
objections to SI, so you're unlikely to find a "pure" SI system anywhere.
In
Canada, the Porsche Cayman R is advertised as having an engine that
produces
330 horsepower, not 246 kilowatts. The Audi S6 sold in Canada is
advertised
as producing 398 lb-ft of torque at 3000 rpm, not 540 Newton-meters.

WHO is it that has the mixed system? g

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

(Sorry this took so long for a reply.)

"Josepi" wrote in message
You seem to be very political aware so you probably already know where
most of Canada is at.

Our system is about the same as the US except we pushed out metric a
little harder for a while. There was a case of a gas station owner selling
in "Imperial gallons" and he was taken to court over it, where the judge
said something like "I don't care what you sell it in as long as it is
defined" and that was the end of forcing metric down our throats....too
bad in some repstecs but until we get the bog bad wolf US to convert we
are in a mixed bag for most users.

I always say the wood industry won't convert until the sheet of ply wood
starts to go metric sizes. You can't space sruds at some metric size when
sheet goods are still 4x8'. 2x4s.. who cares if they are 184 x 235mm or
whatever? As long as the delivery truck sends all the same sizes...LOL

Most metric countries use 2400 mm x 1200 mm for plywood sheets. So I guess
their ceilings are a couple of inches lower than ours. It could be a problem
if you're building a boat from US plans, because planking that's a couple of
inches short can leave you pretty wet.

You guys (the US) seem to get screwed by the French every time.

The thing that really ****ed us off was when they took a run at our gold
reserves in 1971. I still haven't forgiven them for that. If Germany invades
them again, they can go **** up a rope for all I care. d8-)

Reading the history the French like to devise standards, you guys jump in
and then they change it all and the rest of the world seems to follow on
another standard.

The Japanese aren't happy about it, either (a Japanese measuring equipment
company used to be my client).

The same thing happened on the short and long scale counting systems but
it always appears to be the French devised systems. They must be obsessed
with the length of their dicks and constantly need a new measurement
system...LOL

You can tell the extent of your leadership prowess by the number of
peoples that are ****ed off at you. Better you than us!

It's a lonely job, but what are the alternatives? Sheesh.

Have a good one!

You, too.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:22:57 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

The thing that really ****ed us off was when they took a run at our gold
reserves in 1971. I still haven't forgiven them for that.

Have they forgiven the US for claiming that the dollars they held were
each worth 1/35 of an oz of gold? ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The thing that really ****ed us off was when they took a run at our gold
reserves in 1971. I still haven't forgiven them for that.

Have they forgiven the US for claiming that the dollars they held were
each worth 1/35 of an oz of gold? ;-)

They were, but they could have taken a damaging bite out of Fort Knox if
they cashed in.

The thing was, the Bretton Woods signers were supposed to know that you
don't try to screw the central bank of another member unless you're ready to
go to war.

The French didn't seem to get it. So we dropped the gold standard
altogether. Screw them.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The thing that really ****ed us off was when they took a run at our gold
reserves in 1971. I still haven't forgiven them for that.

Have they forgiven the US for claiming that the dollars they held were
each worth 1/35 of an oz of gold? ;-)

They were, but they could have taken a damaging bite out of Fort Knox if
they cashed in.

What could be so damaging about exchanging one thing for something
else of equal value?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The thing that really ****ed us off was when they took a run at our gold
reserves in 1971. I still haven't forgiven them for that.

Have they forgiven the US for claiming that the dollars they held were
each worth 1/35 of an oz of gold? ;-)

They were, but they could have taken a damaging bite out of Fort Knox if
they cashed in.

What could be so damaging about exchanging one thing for something
else of equal value?

Spehro, if you want to get into this subject, either tell me what you really
know or find out for yourself. I'm sorry, but this is a long one, and I'm
short of time for getting into it.

The froggies were trying to pull a DeGaulle-type power play, trying to knock
the US out of its role of running the world's reserve currency. They were
still resentful about having lost their pre-eminence in the world and they
were pretty miserable about it. They had their own ideas about how the
Bretton Woods regime was supposed to work, and they didn't see themselves
filling a secondary role.

You can take it from there.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The thing that really ****ed us off was when they took a run at our gold
reserves in 1971. I still haven't forgiven them for that.

Have they forgiven the US for claiming that the dollars they held were
each worth 1/35 of an oz of gold? ;-)

They were, but they could have taken a damaging bite out of Fort Knox if
they cashed in.

What could be so damaging about exchanging one thing for something
else of equal value?

Spehro, if you want to get into this subject, either tell me what you really
know or find out for yourself. I'm sorry, but this is a long one, and I'm
short of time for getting into it.

My point is that the arrangement was already full of cracks and the
pillars were collapsing - the US was running huge deficits, in part to
finance the wars in Asia- with no political will to contain
expenditures.. and the dollar was no longer nearly as good as gold. In
fact, parallel private markets valued it quite a bit lower at the
time. The Frenchies (and Swiss etc.) were aiming to be first out the
door.. the gold standard has seldom survived a significant war.

The froggies were trying to pull a DeGaulle-type power play, trying to knock
the US out of its role of running the world's reserve currency. They were
still resentful about having lost their pre-eminence in the world and they
were pretty miserable about it. They had their own ideas about how the
Bretton Woods regime was supposed to work, and they didn't see themselves
filling a secondary role.

That may be, but we've almost come full circle.

You can take it from there.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

It's true that the US monetary position was very weak because of the cost of
Vietnam and the Great Society, without commensurate tax increases (sound
familiar?). Germany started buying US gold. Then we talked to them and
pointed out that it might be in their short-term benefit, but they were
doing damage to the whole Bretton Woods system and international currency
stabilities by doing so. So they agreed to hold dollars and stopped buying
gold.

The French didn't care. Rather, they felt that they knew better how to run
the world's currency. This was kind of ironic because the true exchange
rates of the franc had been bouncing all over, and, under Bretton Woods,
they had been forced to abandon export subsidies and other self-centered
policies.

But they were out only for themselves. What the French were trying to do was
to take advantage of the pegged gold price to buy US gold, and then to turn
around and sell it on the private market, where prices were not pegged and
were floating up.

They didn't want to hold gold. They wanted to weaken the US's political and
economic position in the world.

One thing I learned from my study of comparative politics, which I studied
in French Switzerland in 1968, was this: Never attribute responsibility to
any action by the French government, that can be explained simply by their
desire to assert their superiority by putting someone else down. As a
student in Europe at the time, I have my own opinions about French attitudes
toward the US during the Vietnam war, and they aren't pretty. They had been
humiliated that we had to take over their anti-communist insurgency after
they were defeated. By aligning themselves against us in the '60s and '70s,
they assuaged their humiliation and simultaneously promoted themselves as
the great moralists. That was *after* Algeria. Sheesh.

The froggies were trying to pull a DeGaulle-type power play, trying to
knock
the US out of its role of running the world's reserve currency. They were
still resentful about having lost their pre-eminence in the world and they
were pretty miserable about it. They had their own ideas about how the
Bretton Woods regime was supposed to work, and they didn't see themselves
filling a secondary role.

That may be, but we've almost come full circle.

Well, we're back in the same place, and some of the same forces brought us
here.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, wow! I feel you, mate!

Dealing with back pain can be incredibly difficult, especially if it is a chronic condition. If you want to get relief that lasts, you need to find something that addresses the cause of your problem.

There are many guides to curing back pain online, but the Back Pain Breakthrough is unique if you ask me. To get almost INSTANT relief from crippling low back pain and sciatica - take a look at the Back Pain Breakthrough program.

The Back Pain Breakthrough is a program for providing people with relief from back pain that is backed up by hard scientific evidence. All of the information in this guide is rooted in medical fact. It is partially based on a centuries old drawing by Leonardo da Vinci that details the anatomy of the back. It contains some incredible insights into how the human body functions that can be used to relieve even severe back pain. This program doesnt require you to follow a rigorous exercise routine or use any nonsensical methods. It was created by a doctor who is one of the worlds leading authorities on back and neck pain.

I just did a quick Google search, here's an awesome review I found of the Back Pain Breakthrough book: https://mrproductreviews.info/review...ugh/index.html

Good luck in your health journey!

harvest pain Jon[_12_] Electronics 0 April 18th 10 03:26 AM
Chair for back pain Kevin Cleary Woodturning 6 March 31st 08 04:57 PM
Chair for back pain mac davis[_3_] Woodturning 0 March 29th 08 03:42 PM
Yoga Lessons for Lower back pain Stella Home Repair 0 August 3rd 07 10:50 AM
OT sudden back pain Ignoramus21303 Metalworking 29 May 7th 06 06:52 AM