Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sudden very sharp back pain

This morning started out really great. I did not lift anything
heavy. Drove somewhere in my pickup to pick a tool box. When I got out
of the truck, just after 30 minutes of driving, I had sudden back pain
and could not stand up straight without some pain.

For the next 2 hours, I could function, move around and carry things,
but with substantial discomfort.

Then I tried to turn a toolbox around, kind of pushed with one hand in
one direction. Then the pain suddenly became so severe that I could
barely walk. Barely made it to the couch, where I am right now,
totally out of commission.

WTF is wrong and does anyone have any idea if this will ever go away.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus29059 wrote:

This morning started out really great. I did not lift anything
heavy. Drove somewhere in my pickup to pick a tool box. When I got out
of the truck, just after 30 minutes of driving, I had sudden back pain
and could not stand up straight without some pain.

For the next 2 hours, I could function, move around and carry things,
but with substantial discomfort.

Then I tried to turn a toolbox around, kind of pushed with one hand in
one direction. Then the pain suddenly became so severe that I could
barely walk. Barely made it to the couch, where I am right now,
totally out of commission.

WTF is wrong and does anyone have any idea if this will ever go away.

I'm 57 and had much the same thing happen 4 or 5 years ago... it was
scary. Never had any back issues before or since.

In my case it was lower back and severe, no comfortable position, even
in bed. Then just as suddenly as it appeared, it just 'went away' about
midnight the second night. No rime or reason.

Hope your's goes away soon...

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 13:57:27 -0500, the renowned Ignoramus29059
wrote:

This morning started out really great. I did not lift anything
heavy. Drove somewhere in my pickup to pick a tool box. When I got out
of the truck, just after 30 minutes of driving, I had sudden back pain
and could not stand up straight without some pain.

For the next 2 hours, I could function, move around and carry things,
but with substantial discomfort.

Then I tried to turn a toolbox around, kind of pushed with one hand in
one direction. Then the pain suddenly became so severe that I could
barely walk. Barely made it to the couch, where I am right now,
totally out of commission.

WTF is wrong and does anyone have any idea if this will ever go away.

Herniated disk?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 13:57:27 -0500, Ignoramus29059
wrote:

This morning started out really great. I did not lift anything
heavy. Drove somewhere in my pickup to pick a tool box. When I got out
of the truck, just after 30 minutes of driving, I had sudden back pain
and could not stand up straight without some pain.

For the next 2 hours, I could function, move around and carry things,
but with substantial discomfort.

Then I tried to turn a toolbox around, kind of pushed with one hand in
one direction. Then the pain suddenly became so severe that I could
barely walk. Barely made it to the couch, where I am right now,
totally out of commission.

WTF is wrong and does anyone have any idea if this will ever go away.

Your back is out, Ig. Go see a chiropractor. You probably have a
lumbar vertebra which twisted to one side and stayed. Your chiro can
tell you for sure, but most can be fixed and go away. Don't make a
scheduled visit, just drop into a chiro's office tomorrow morning at
8am. I'll give you long odds that he can take x-rays and pop it back
in for you before 8:30am. My current chiro has a machine which moves
the lower body around, stretching and rolling from side to side to
loosen up the lumbar area before he adjusts me. About half the time,
that itself will put a vertebra back into its proper place. The longer
it's out, the longer it will stay sore and the harder it will be to
put back in place.

I've learned to put a lot of my "outs" back in. I fix mine by lying on
my bed with my shoulders flat and my knees bent. Then I swing both
knees down to the bed, first left, then right. I usually hear a pop or
two and then throw my entire leg over to the side to do a stretch, one
for each leg/side. That usually fixes me up, but I'm not recommending
it for you. My back goes out daily and I twist to put it back in. My
throacic spine likes to go out and ribs float, so my 24" bathroom door
jamb comes in handy. I can usually reset anything from the middle of
my back up to the middle of my shoulder blades without a chiro to
help.

P.S: If you owned a real truck (say, a Toyota Tundra, with ergonomic
bucket seats) you wouldn't have a back problem.

--
If only he'd wash his neck, I'd wring it.
-- John Sparrow
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus29059 wrote in
:

This morning started out really great. I did not lift anything
heavy. Drove somewhere in my pickup to pick a tool box. When I got out
of the truck, just after 30 minutes of driving, I had sudden back pain
and could not stand up straight without some pain.

For the next 2 hours, I could function, move around and carry things,
but with substantial discomfort.

Then I tried to turn a toolbox around, kind of pushed with one hand in
one direction. Then the pain suddenly became so severe that I could
barely walk. Barely made it to the couch, where I am right now,
totally out of commission.

WTF is wrong and does anyone have any idea if this will ever go away.

In addition to the suggestions about muscles & the like, if it's mostly
on one side, it could be a kidney stone.

The pain can be excruciating. It can come & go pretty much randomly,
with no other symptoms. More often, there may be blood in the urine, or
cloudiness from a UTI.

Good luck, whatever it is.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Erik wrote:
In articleCIadnQZbz_CKpTbQnZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d@giganews. com,
wrote:

(...)

I had sudden back pain and could not stand up straight without some pain.

(...)

I'm 57 and had much the same thing happen 4 or 5 years ago... it was
scary. Never had any back issues before or since.

In my case it was lower back and severe, no comfortable position, even
in bed. Then just as suddenly as it appeared, it just 'went away' about
midnight the second night. No rime or reason.

Hope your's goes away soon...

What Erik said.

It's happened to me twice except I *could not* get out of bed for 2-3 hours
until the pain went away. All by itself. Scary indeed.

My doc told me that the world's best way to mess up your back is to
reach overhead while twisting at the waist. I believe him because that is
exactly what I did before my back gave out the second time.

Just plain bed rest appears to be the best Rx.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just a little update.

This is definitely a spine pain, not a kidney stone or anything.

I tried hanging on a pullup bar. (I do pullups) This really helps.

Just hanging on it helped me a great deal, I go there once in a while,
life does not look quite bleak, but it still hurts and I cannot do
anything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus29059" wrote in message
Just a little update.

This is definitely a spine pain, not a kidney stone or anything.

I tried hanging on a pullup bar. (I do pullups) This really helps.

Just hanging on it helped me a great deal, I go there once in a while,
life does not look quite bleak, but it still hurts and I cannot do
anything.

My Brother-In-Law was about about to get back surgery, but first he tried
this gadget and now swears by it:
http://www.getback2life.com/

The cheesy infomercial adds make you think it is a rip off, but apparently
it worked for him and his twin brother who had the same problem. What it
seems to do is apply very gentle stretching when you are in a position where
the back muscles are completely relaxed.

I would be skeptical about spending $200 on an anonymous, second-hand
internet recommendation myself, so all I can say is look into it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus29059 wrote:

This morning started out really great. I did not lift anything
heavy. Drove somewhere in my pickup to pick a tool box. When I got out
of the truck, just after 30 minutes of driving, I had sudden back pain
and could not stand up straight without some pain.

For the next 2 hours, I could function, move around and carry things,
but with substantial discomfort.

Then I tried to turn a toolbox around, kind of pushed with one hand in
one direction. Then the pain suddenly became so severe that I could
barely walk. Barely made it to the couch, where I am right now,
totally out of commission.

WTF is wrong and does anyone have any idea if this will ever go away.

Pain is Mother Nature's way of saying, "don't do that."

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Ig,
Welcome to my world!

First thing, look in the mirror.
How does the stomach look?
THOSE are the muscles that hold the spine in line.

Second - check your posture sitting in the truck.
Slouched? Sitting on a big wallet?
Both are bad news.

Most likely a slight vertebra pinch for 1 or 2 above,
if not both...

It will probably be better in the morning.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus29059 wrote:

WTF is wrong and does anyone have any idea if this will ever go away.

I think you have a pinched nerve. I have a knee that will suddenly act like I sprained it
and if I give it a bit of rest it will recover and feel fine.

Heck take a long warm bath and relax, you might feel better after wards. Floating in the
tub will take a lot of stress off your back. Even better if you have a hot tub.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 15:42:53 -0500, Ignoramus29059
wrote:

Just a little update.

This is definitely a spine pain, not a kidney stone or anything.

I tried hanging on a pullup bar. (I do pullups) This really helps.

Just hanging on it helped me a great deal, I go there once in a while,
life does not look quite bleak, but it still hurts and I cannot do
anything.

I've got back spasms several times, last two from balancing kayaks
overhead and throwing them up on top the suburban. About a week
later, pow! Muscle relaxers unknot the situation, then stretching and
exercise. You need a doctor to diagnose whether you've got more
serious problems like a blown disc or something.

Assuming it's muscular, the muscles I was neglecting are inside the
spine (if I was butchering a deer, it'd be the tenderloin). I wasn't
stretching back, only forward. I found I need to be careful
stretching back, overdid it, and back was sore for two days. I was
laying on my stomach, raised up on not quite straight arms, let pelvis
sag too near floor. Now more on knees, hold for count of 10, 10
times. Also on back exercises lifting butt with calves on chair 100
times, doing Larry's stretch of knees to either side, leg stretches,
etc. My doc recommended a heating pad before stretching, warm muscles
stretch better.

Also, in addition to my 3 mi. walk with the dogs in the morning, I'm
going to add some weights for upper body and lose some weight.

Good luck with your back. Take care of it, you can't do much when
it's out as you just found out.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This morning started out really great. I did not lift anything
heavy. Drove somewhere in my pickup to pick a tool box. When I got out
of the truck, just after 30 minutes of driving, I had sudden back pain
and could not stand up straight without some pain.

For the next 2 hours, I could function, move around and carry things,
but with substantial discomfort.

Then I tried to turn a toolbox around, kind of pushed with one hand in
one direction. Then the pain suddenly became so severe that I could
barely walk. Barely made it to the couch, where I am right now,
totally out of commission.

WTF is wrong and does anyone have any idea if this will ever go away.

Herniated disk?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

sure sounds like it.
Or a badly pinched nerve from other causes.

Hotpad, some muscle relaxers and dont move for the next 2 days.

Or go immediately to a chiropractor and see if they can pop your spine
back into place.

Gunner, 2 back surgeries

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Kidney stones can fall out of the sky and hit you like a Greyhound bus, too.
If it is that, you'll know soon enough. It is a very exclusive club. After
kidney stones, your pain scale will be on a 1-15 instead of a 1-10. You
think you are going to die, but you are afraid you won't. BTDT twice.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This has only happened to me about 200 times...

You can expect this to happen again and again.

There are many solutions.

I tried cracker practors. You feel better right away. But, for me, I
got dependant on them and had to keep going and going.

One year during apple season I had to keep working. So, I turned to
pain killers. Big mistake, I was soon hooked and taking double doses.
couldn't sleep at night couldn't stay awake by day. Don't go this
route.

Now, first of all, I've learned that teenagers are cheaper than
doctors. Hire that lifting done.

When it happens, I lay down and don't do **** till the pain is
manageable. Then I have a 36" diameter exercise ball. I lay over it to
stretch and then start doing slow exercises to stretch out and relax
the pinch.

This works for me YMMV.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 15:34:01 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

A friend (lady) nurse once told me that passing a kidney stone, was
similar to giving birth....to a baby grand piano.

I agree. Been there, done that.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:23:12 -0700

sure sounds like it.
Or a badly pinched nerve from other causes.

Hotpad, some muscle relaxers and dont move for the next 2 days.

Or go immediately to a chiropractor and see if they can pop your spine
back into place.

Gunner, 2 back surgeries

Kidney stones can fall out of the sky and hit you like a Greyhound bus, too.
If it is that, you'll know soon enough. It is a very exclusive club. After
kidney stones, your pain scale will be on a 1-15 instead of a 1-10. You
think you are going to die, but you are afraid you won't. BTDT twice.

Steve

A friend (lady) nurse once told me that passing a kidney stone, was
similar to giving birth....to a baby grand piano.

I agree. Been there, done that.

Oh man, oxycodin under those conditions only makes the pain drop
down to "hurts like a son of a bitch". Good God, you understand why
people get addicted - not hurting is one of the major good things in
life.

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 17:28:04 -0800, the renowned Jon Anderson
wrote:

Iggy,

Backs are funny things. That could have resulted from stressing it some
time well before it went out on you.

Long hot bath. Heating pad when you're not in the tub. Chiropractor for
a few sessions. A really good one will tell you roughly how many
sessions they think it'll take to square you away. No shortage of
chiropractors that will keep you coming as long as they can. Been there,
done that. The one that I went to when I injured my back years ago, I
took to calling Dr Pain. To his face.

For me, deep muscle massage was the only thing I found that really
worked. So long as I had one about every week, for several years. (not a
bad thing really!) But wait until you're not hurting before trying that,
and be sure to tell the masseuse about your back.

Electrostim gadgets can help too, but personally I don't enjoy the
sensation of borderline electrocution... G

One exercise you can do is to stand with your back to the wall. Tighten
your gut muscles and straighten your lower back against the wall best
you can. Be sure to breath while doing this, I was warned holding one's
breath will cause blood pressure to skyrocket.

Couple years ago, I moved a 4000lb mill into my garage from about 8'
out, and I have a very uneven driveway right in front of the house. No
real problem. I've thrown my back out by simply turning my upper body
and been in pain for days. If this recurs, pay attention to what you've
been doing prior, see if you can't figure out what's causing it.

I suspect you stressed it, and something about your posture while
driving, put things over the edge.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Back problems are no damned fun.

Jon

Sitting can agravate some kinds of back problems, and the pain can be
there or lower (like in the legs or hips).

Good luck with it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote

A friend (lady) nurse once told me that passing a kidney stone, was
similar to giving birth....to a baby grand piano.

I agree. Been there, done that.

Gunner

I was in the ER following one of my procedures where they really messed up
the urethra. I was weeping and wailing and begging for morphine. The nurse
said she had experienced both childbirth and kidney stones, and childbirth
paled by comparison. Then she interjected that she had experienced them AT
THE SAME TIME.

I shut up. I mean, what could I say that was relevant?

They gave me some Tramidol (?) or something, but at least it helped.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Long hot bath. Heating pad when you're not in the tub.

I like a hot tub at the end of the day.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 18, 4:57*am, Ignoramus29059 ignoramus29...@NOSPAM.
29059.invalid wrote:
This morning started out really great. I did not lift anything
heavy. Drove somewhere in my pickup to pick a tool box. When I got out
of the truck, just after 30 minutes of driving, I had sudden back pain
and could not stand up straight without some pain.

For the next 2 hours, I could function, move around and carry things,
but with substantial discomfort.

Then I tried to turn a toolbox around, kind of pushed with one hand in
one direction. Then the pain suddenly became so severe that I could
barely walk. Barely made it to the couch, where I am right now,
totally out of commission.

WTF is wrong and does anyone have any idea if this will ever go away.

Hi Iggy,
sorry mate - but welcome to the life of a late middle age tradesman.
Happens to us all if you spent most of your life doing physical work.
If this is the first time, your lucky. Consider it a sign - back
injury is cumulative, yours is saying "Hang on, had enuff of this" and
lets you know.
You need to start building up the muscles in your back, NOW - you
still got a chance, its not going to go away. Learn Kinetic Lifting,
it helps. Try and reprogram your brain not to do the "I can lift this
no worries" type of thing. (Bloody hard to do the last one)

Your lucky - you got a chance to do something about it, before your
back is REALLY stuffed.

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 17, 2:57*pm, Ignoramus29059 ignoramus29...@NOSPAM.
29059.invalid wrote:
This morning started out really great. I did not lift anything
heavy. Drove somewhere in my pickup to pick a tool box. When I got out
of the truck, just after 30 minutes of driving, I had sudden back pain
and could not stand up straight without some pain.

For me it began in high school, running a 100 yard dash.

It went out again a week ago, and all I had done was lift 7' logs into
the trailer and roll my 700 Lb tractor over, then heave it back
upright.

Many years ago I put a screw eye in the ceiling at the edge of the bed
and hung a webbing strap low enough to reach to pull myself upright.
It's helped a lot for the back, cracked ribs and broken collar bone.

Lift chairs:
http://www.pridemobility.com/liftchairs/index.asp
I need a wedge cushion in back to be comfortable, but then I can sleep
in it.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/17/2011 2:34 PM, Steve B wrote:

It is a very exclusive club. After kidney stones, your pain scale
will be on a 1-15 instead of a 1-10. You think you are going to die,
but you are afraid you won't. BTDT twice.

Same here. 1st time, it felt like my internal organs were being
literally torn apart. If Death had shown up, I would have happily gone
with him to end the pain. And I had a back injury that led to a
temporary partial paralysis of my left leg. My back has given me a fair
bit of grief over the past 20 years, but there simply is no comparison
in terms of pain.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 17, 8:51*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I was in the ER following one of my procedures where they really messed up
the urethra. *I was weeping and wailing and begging for morphine. *The nurse
said she had experienced both childbirth and kidney stones, and childbirth
paled by comparison. *Then she interjected that she had experienced them AT
THE SAME TIME.

I shut up. *I mean, what could I say that was relevant?

Steve

The rude company nurse finished a physical and said she had tested for
all but HIV and pregnancy, should she continue?

I told her I certainly didn't want an AIDS baby, which shut her up.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus29059 wrote:

This morning started out really great. I did not lift anything
heavy. Drove somewhere in my pickup to pick a tool box. When I got out
of the truck, just after 30 minutes of driving, I had sudden back pain
and could not stand up straight without some pain.

For the next 2 hours, I could function, move around and carry things,
but with substantial discomfort.

Then I tried to turn a toolbox around, kind of pushed with one hand in
one direction. Then the pain suddenly became so severe that I could
barely walk. Barely made it to the couch, where I am right now,
totally out of commission.

WTF is wrong and does anyone have any idea if this will ever go away.

Ohhh, boy! Do you have pains shooting down your leg? (Usually just one.)
If so, you've damaged a disc, and it is pressing on one of the nerve
branches that come out of the spine. Generally, some rest,
anti-inflammatory stuff and time will make it better.

If you don't have pain down a leg, then you may have torn or sprained some
back muscle or ligament.

If you have crunched discs, then the damage is to some extent permanent, but
over time they do heal, but the margin for heavy exertion is reduced before
you aggravate it again. If it is muscular, it will heal, and you may not
have long-lasting effects.

Been there, done that....

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus29059 wrote:

Just a little update.

This is definitely a spine pain, not a kidney stone or anything.

I tried hanging on a pullup bar. (I do pullups) This really helps.

OK, well, there's your diagnosis - popped disc for sure. I have a
buffet table in the dining room that is the perfect height for pushing
up and getting the same effect. Lifting my upper body and letting my hips
dangle for a minute helped me, too.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This morning started out really great. I did not lift anything
heavy. Drove somewhere in my pickup to pick a tool box. When I got out
of the truck, just after 30 minutes of driving, I had sudden back pain
and could not stand up straight without some pain.

For the next 2 hours, I could function, move around and carry things,
but with substantial discomfort.

Then I tried to turn a toolbox around, kind of pushed with one hand in
one direction. Then the pain suddenly became so severe that I could
barely walk. Barely made it to the couch, where I am right now,
totally out of commission.

WTF is wrong and does anyone have any idea if this will ever go away.

Sounds like a bulging disc. You will need to tighten your abdominal
muscles using excercises your chiropractor can advise. If the pain
doesn't go away and it becomes excrutiating, you can have your doctor
prescribe an epidural for temporary relief.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 20:27:20 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ignoramus29059 wrote:

Just a little update.

This is definitely a spine pain, not a kidney stone or anything.

I tried hanging on a pullup bar. (I do pullups) This really helps.

OK, well, there's your diagnosis - popped disc for sure.

No, a simple subluxated vertebra is much more common and immediately
remedied. Discs seldom herniate while sitting in a pickup on a half
hour drive. Don't scare the poor guy.

--
If only he'd wash his neck, I'd wring it.
-- John Sparrow
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus29059 wrote:

Just a little update.

This is definitely a spine pain, not a kidney stone or anything.

I tried hanging on a pullup bar. (I do pullups) This really helps.

OK, well, there's your diagnosis - popped disc for sure.

No, a simple subluxated vertebra is much more common and immediately
remedied. *Discs seldom herniate while sitting in a pickup on a half
hour drive. *Don't scare the poor guy.

--
If only he'd wash his neck, I'd wring it.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *-- John Sparrow

The hell they don't. If a disc is ready to go, it could have no
symptoms at all...until it does. And the word "subluxated" can either
mean "partially dislocated" or a variety of chiropractic mumbo jumbo.

That hanging straight on a pullup bar gave some relief sure sounds
like a sign of disc issues. Iggy, you should go on youtube and look at
videos on the "Alexander Technique" which focuses on simple things you
can do to relieve this sort of stuff. BUT IF IT HURTS TO DO ANY OF
THOSE THINGS, STOP IMMEDIATELY. The one thing you DON'T want to do is
to make it worse. If the pain goes into your legs, you're talking
sciatica, and there are different stretches for that. Again, there's
good stuff on youtube, but use your head.

Remember, there are good chiropractors and those who will really hurt
you. There are also good physical therapists and those who will hurt
you. Somewhere out there is the worst doctor in the world, and you
know what they call him?....."Doctor." Get yourself educated BEFORE
you let someone **** you up.

I've had this on & off for the past 20 years. I recently had an MRI,
and well, the report from the radiologist went on for two pages. Last
month I was flat on my back for a week. Last week I was in traction.
Today I am about 80% back to normal. I expect to be playing ice hockey
with the neighborhood kids this summer.

Lastly, if anyone cares to talk about "intelligent design," let them
try to explain the crappy piece of engineering that is the human
spinal column. Maybe the design works OK for quadripeds, but not for
those of us who walk on two feet. You're in good company. About 85% of
the world's population has disc problems at some time in their life.
Some more painful than others. They've done autopsies on little kids
and seen the beginnings of disc herniation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

one direction. Then the pain suddenly became so severe that I could
barely walk. Barely made it to the couch, where I am right now,
totally out of commission.

WTF is wrong and does anyone have any idea if this will ever go away.

Muscle strains are far more common than herniated disks. It may be
better in a couple of days, or it may take a few weeks. Once
strained, you're at increased risk of having more of them. You don't
have to be lifting something at the time to have them occur. Mine
often occur the day AFTER I"ve been using my lower back muscles more
than usual.

Those peel and stick hot packs, the giant version of what hunters use
to keep their hands warm are helpful. Also Doan's pills (manesium
salicylate instead of the usual sodium salicylate of aspirin) seem to
help more than aspirin.

Unless you've got numbness in a limb or weakness in a group of muscles
(can you stand on your toes on each foot, can you rock back on your
heel and hold your forefoot up?), it's not likely to be a herniated
disk.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 18:03:11 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

[...]

Very unlikely to be Iggy's problem, but about 10 weeks ago my dad was
on an 8 inch step stool, taking a screw out of the kitchen wall before
having the wall painted and he dumped himself off the stool. Landed on
his feet. Next day, excrutiating pain. Went for Xrays and nothing
showed up, so he went home. Next day even worse, and he went into
shock. He was rushed to the hospital where he spent the next 8 weeks.
They got his blood pressure back up, and his electrolytes straightened
out and then started looking for the cause of his pain - and found a
spinal compression fracture - then they started looking for the cause
and found he has myeloma..
The pain was terrible, pain medication hardly touched it - so they did
a kyphoplasty which almost immediately reduced the pain to a
manageable level. Chemo knocked his kidneys out, so he was put on
diallysis for 3 weeks - which has brought his kidney function back.

He's back home, hoping to be able to stay there and enjoy life for a
little while longer.

The back injury may have been a lifesaver as they may have caught the
cancer early enough to make treatment possible....

Just saying take care - and have it looked at by a QUALIFIED
professional. There ARE good Chiro's out there, and a lot of Quacks.
Knowing the difference can be difficult, and the difference can be the
difference between a cure and a lifetime of pain and dissability.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 17, 10:31*pm, rangerssuck wrote:

wrote:

Ignoramus29059 wrote:

[...]

A very simple thing you can do is "self traction." Either laying down
or standing or sitting, imagine that there's a string coming out of
the top of your head, and it's being pulled. Use your back and
abdominal muscles to make yourself a little taller. That will have a
similar effect to hanging from your pullup bar.

Your mother was right when she told you to stand up straight. It makes
a difference.

OK - I Just found the Youtube series I was looking for. This guy knows
his stuff, and what he says is pretty much the same as I've gotten
from the best of the therapists and doctors I've been to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_T6...yer_detailpage

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 17, 10:34*pm, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET
wrote:

Unless you've got numbness in a limb or weakness in a group of muscles
(can you stand on your toes on each foot, can you rock back on your
heel and hold your forefoot up?), it's not likely to be a herniated
disk.

RWL

Not correct. You can have herniated discs with absolutely zero
symptoms.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Liz Pendens" wrote

Sounds like a bulging disc. You will need to tighten your abdominal
muscles using excercises your chiropractor can advise. If the pain
doesn't go away and it becomes excrutiating, you can have your doctor
prescribe an epidural for temporary relief.

Epidurals have been suggested for me. One third of the people I talked to
said it made it worse. One third said it made it better. One third said it
made no difference. I don't like a one in three chance.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins on Sun, 17 Apr 2011 18:17:30 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Apr 17, 8:51*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I was in the ER following one of my procedures where they really messed up
the urethra. *I was weeping and wailing and begging for morphine. *The nurse
said she had experienced both childbirth and kidney stones, and childbirth
paled by comparison. *Then she interjected that she had experienced them AT
THE SAME TIME.

I shut up. *I mean, what could I say that was relevant?

Steve

The rude company nurse finished a physical and said she had tested for
all but HIV and pregnancy, should she continue?

I told her I certainly didn't want an AIDS baby, which shut her up.

ROFL AICGUP!

tschus
pyotr

ROFL AICGUP! - "Roll on floor laughing, and I can't get up" Texting
for seniors.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 18, 4:28*pm, pyotr filipivich wrote:
(with some good humour, and common sense....)

You lot going senile, or What?, - Iggys got the beginnings of a
stuffed back - any of you lot ever been REAL tradesmen, heavy lifting
all your working life.? - dont think so. Effete Intellectual Snobs, as
your Spiro Agnew said once.

Iggy - go see a good chiropractor, if he doesn't feel OK with you, go
try another. A good chiro will conclusively prove to you whats
happening, hard empirical evidence. If he cant, find someone who
will .Its your back, look after it. Worth the effort - you STILL got
a good chance, dont blow it, OK?

Dont go near Doctors, Surgeons, they are bad people, will totally
stuff you around. Ignore the Chattering Classes here, OK?

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andrew VK3BFA on Mon, 18 Apr 2011 02:07:37 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Apr 18, 4:28*pm, pyotr filipivich wrote:
(with some good humour, and common sense....)

You lot going senile, or What?, - Iggys got the beginnings of a
stuffed back - any of you lot ever been REAL tradesmen, heavy lifting
all your working life.? - dont think so. Effete Intellectual Snobs, as
your Spiro Agnew said once.

Thread drift.

I started regular visit to the chiropractor some years ago. "Weird
thing" is that it made my knee stop hurting (the one I messed up with
a series of accidents and exuberant hikes in my youth).

Iggy - go see a good chiropractor, if he doesn't feel OK with you, go
try another. A good chiro will conclusively prove to you whats
happening, hard empirical evidence. If he cant, find someone who
will .Its your back, look after it. Worth the effort - you STILL got
a good chance, dont blow it, OK?

Dont go near Doctors, Surgeons, they are bad people, will totally
stuff you around. Ignore the Chattering Classes here, OK?

Andrew VK3BFA.

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 02:07:37 -0700 (PDT), Andrew VK3BFA
wrote:

You lot going senile, or What?, - Iggys got the beginnings of a
stuffed back - any of you lot ever been REAL tradesmen, heavy lifting
all your working life.? - dont think so

"dont think so"

Very appropriate for your tombstone based on your posting history.

Gunner

harvest pain Jon[_12_] Electronics 0 April 18th 10 02:26 AM
Chair for back pain Kevin Cleary Woodturning 6 March 31st 08 03:57 PM
Chair for back pain mac davis[_3_] Woodturning 0 March 29th 08 02:42 PM
Yoga Lessons for Lower back pain Stella Home Repair 0 August 3rd 07 09:50 AM
OT sudden back pain Ignoramus21303 Metalworking 29 May 7th 06 05:52 AM