Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21303

Default OT sudden back pain

Something strange happened yesterday. I was riding a bicycle, along
with my son also riding his tricycle. He finally got tired and asked
me to carry his bike home, which I did by riding my own bike with his
tricycle in my right hand.

So far so good.

Then, as I arrived home, still sitting on my bicycle, I leaned to set
his tricycle on the ground. As I did that, I had sudden back pain and
it is not going away. I have hard times bending in a certain way and
walk with a funny gait.

What could this be and should I be worried?

thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Ignoramus21303 wrote:

What could this be and should I be worried?

It's OK if you stay away from the computer!

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Ignoramus21303 wrote:

Something strange happened yesterday. I was riding a bicycle, along
with my son also riding his tricycle. He finally got tired and asked
me to carry his bike home, which I did by riding my own bike with his
tricycle in my right hand.

So far so good.

Then, as I arrived home, still sitting on my bicycle, I leaned to set
his tricycle on the ground. As I did that, I had sudden back pain and
it is not going away. I have hard times bending in a certain way and
walk with a funny gait.

What could this be and should I be worried?

thanks

Welcome to middle age, pal. This is a back spasm, well known to all blue collar
workers. I suggest you follow a routine of taking anti-inflammatory medication
(I take aspirin, lots of people take ibuprofen), heat & ice, rest, and light
duty for about two weeks. If you don't do that, the guys in the metal trades
taught me, the pain will be longer and worse. As I get older (I'm now mid-50s) I
still get back spasms but by now they are pretty mild because I never lift
anything stupid anymore.

If you think about it, you loaded your back all funny riding your bicycle with a
weight in one hand only. Some muscle was overworked and spasmed when you bent
over. It might be a slight muscle pull, a strain, whatever, doesn't really
matter except to a surgeon. Take ibuprofen religiously unless you take it a lot
(don't overdo ibuprofen, it will hurt your kidneys badly) and take it easy, and
try soaking in a hot tub or lying on a heating pad. Make your kids wait on you.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fred R

What Grant said, and if you happen to have any friend who is a physical
therapist offer to trade favors for their help. Careful warmup and
stretching will fix you right up.

Whenever your back hurts, fix it then start regular situps/crunches.

Fred

Ignoramus21303 wrote:
Something strange happened yesterday. I was riding a bicycle, along
with my son also riding his tricycle. He finally got tired and asked
me to carry his bike home, which I did by riding my own bike with his
tricycle in my right hand.

So far so good.

Then, as I arrived home, still sitting on my bicycle, I leaned to set
his tricycle on the ground. As I did that, I had sudden back pain and
it is not going away. I have hard times bending in a certain way and
walk with a funny gait.

What could this be and should I be worried?

thanks

Fred R
"It doesn't really take all kinds; there just *are* all kinds".
Drop TROU to email.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21303

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:15:58 GMT, Fred R "spam wrote:
What Grant said, and if you happen to have any friend who is a physical
therapist offer to trade favors for their help. Careful warmup and
stretching will fix you right up.

Whenever your back hurts, fix it then start regular situps/crunches.

Thank you, Fred and Grant.

Fred

Ignoramus21303 wrote:
Something strange happened yesterday. I was riding a bicycle, along
with my son also riding his tricycle. He finally got tired and asked
me to carry his bike home, which I did by riding my own bike with his
tricycle in my right hand.

So far so good.

Then, as I arrived home, still sitting on my bicycle, I leaned to set
his tricycle on the ground. As I did that, I had sudden back pain and
it is not going away. I have hard times bending in a certain way and
walk with a funny gait.

What could this be and should I be worried?

thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

RAM³ wrote:

Igor, think back to what you'd been doing a couple of days _before_ the
spasm hit - were you doing any heavy lifting at an odd angle?

That's the killer. I could unload lumber
all day and not hurt my back. Lift a big sack
of grocerys out of the trunk with my feet at
right angle to the load and I am seriously
fsked up...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Daniel A. Mitchell

Jim Stewart wrote:

RAM³ wrote:

Igor, think back to what you'd been doing a couple of days _before_
the spasm hit - were you doing any heavy lifting at an odd angle?

That's the killer. I could unload lumber
all day and not hurt my back. Lift a big sack
of grocerys out of the trunk with my feet at
right angle to the load and I am seriously
fsked up...

From the overall description, this certainly sounds like a back spasm.

One other possibility might be a kidney stone. These can often feel
REMARKABLY like a badly pulled lower-back muscle. The exception is that,
with a bad back, you can usually find SOME position to contort yourself
into that relives all or some of the pain, at least temporarily. No such
luck with a 'stone' ... it just hurts ALL the time (which doesn't keep
one from writhing around TRYING to find a position that gives relief).

Stones can hit you at totally random times. They can grow in place for
months or years, with few if any symptoms, until something causes them
to start moving. Stones are often remarkably sharp shard-like little
pieces, with many spikes, horns and edges to get caught on things as
they move along. Such movement, forcing themselves through tiny ducts,
is usually what causes most of the pain. When they get caught in a duct
they can cause a blockage, and a 'backpressure' can build up causing
further discomfort. NO FUN AT ALL!

While they can, and often do, begin their journey for no apparent
reason, sometimes vigorous activity dislodges them and starts them on
their way.

Simple tests in a hospital or doctor's office will usually identify a
stone. Often they will pass by themselves in a few hours (if you're
lucky) or days. If not, various medical procedures are available to deal
with them.

Dan Mitchell
============
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Marrs

"Ignoramus21303" wrote in message
Something strange happened yesterday. I was riding a bicycle, along
with my son also riding his tricycle. He finally got tired and asked
me to carry his bike home, which I did by riding my own bike with his
tricycle in my right hand.

So far so good.

Then, as I arrived home, still sitting on my bicycle, I leaned to set
his tricycle on the ground. As I did that, I had sudden back pain and
it is not going away. I have hard times bending in a certain way and
walk with a funny gait.

What could this be and should I be worried?

thanks

Lot's of good advise--I'll put in my 2¢ . The sequence of bend over, turn
to one side, set
something down, and straighten up while still turned to the side. Did it
once setting down a
bucket of water. Not heavy, maybe 15 lbs. When I straightened up it HURT
in my lower
back. Did Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Ketoprofin, heat, cold, etc. Still hurt a few
days later, so I hit
the chiropractor. Way it was explained to me is that that particular
sequence can cross up
the vertebrae in the lower spine, and if you straighten up before turning
back to face forward
they can lock out of alignment. The weight of the load doesn't really
matter. Some heat, a stretch/twist and a pop, fixed.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Ignoramus21303 wrote:

Something strange happened yesterday. I was riding a bicycle, along
with my son also riding his tricycle. He finally got tired and asked
me to carry his bike home, which I did by riding my own bike with his
tricycle in my right hand.

So far so good.

Then, as I arrived home, still sitting on my bicycle, I leaned to set
his tricycle on the ground. As I did that, I had sudden back pain and
it is not going away. I have hard times bending in a certain way and
walk with a funny gait.

What could this be and should I be worried?

Do you have pain radiating down your leg? If so, you have most likely
crunched
a disc, and a nerve is getting pinched. If no, then most likely you
have a muscle
that is cramping up. That should go away a lot quicker. I used to get
this in my
neck a couple times a year, and taking calcium supplements completely
got rid
of them.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steve

Grant Erwin wrote:

Welcome to middle age, pal. This is a back spasm, well known to all blue collar
workers. I suggest you follow a routine of taking anti-inflammatory medication
(I take aspirin, lots of people take ibuprofen), heat & ice

I never understood this, isn't the inflammation the immune system
kicking in to fix the damage area (by increasing the bloodflow among
other things) ? Why would you want to stop that? I suppose in severe
cases the body can get confused and inflammation can turn into a bad
thing, but for plain jane problems like this its seems a good thing,
doesn't it? I don't know, but I would think if it was a bad thing your
body wouldn't go to all this trouble to begin with...

, rest, and light
duty for about two weeks.

This makes more sense.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
*

Ignoramus21303 wrote in article

Two questions......

1.) Does the pain seem to radiate down the leg?

2.) Do you carry a rather thick wallet in the rear pocket on that side?

If the answer to both is "yes", then you MAY have pinched a sciatic nerve.

I used to do it all the time to my left side - which happened to be the
side I carried my wallet on.

Doctor explained that the wallet usually sits over the sciatic nerve in the
back pocket and irritates it.

Everything that has been recommended - prescription muscle relaxants (I use
Norflex), pain killers such as Acetminophen or Ibuprofen, and heat -
coupled with time - all help

I fixed the wallet problem by moving it to a side pocket, but my sciatica
has returned with a narrowing of my spinal column at the L-5 - aka "Spinal
Stenosis" - which puts pressure on the same sciatic nerve, so I'm having an
occasional attack of sciatica when I don't bend and stand "just right."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bert

Grant Erwin wrote:

Welcome to middle age, pal. This is a back spasm, well known to all blue collar
workers. I suggest you follow a routine of taking anti-inflammatory medication
(I take aspirin, lots of people take ibuprofen), heat & ice, rest, and light
duty for about two weeks. If you don't do that, the guys in the metal trades
taught me, the pain will be longer and worse. As I get older (I'm now mid-50s) I
still get back spasms but by now they are pretty mild because I never lift
anything stupid anymore.

What works for me when I have a back spasm is sucking in my gut, i.e.,
tightening my ab muscles and keeping them tight until the spasm goes
away, which usually takes only a few seconds. I suspect the reason it
works is that the abs stabilize the torso enough to allow the back
muscles to relax. Of course, it helps to have strong abs. Now that
I've spent some time strengthening my core muscles, spasms occur only
rarely and when they do occur, they respond to the suck-in-the-gut
trick with no need for any further treatments such as those mentioned
by Grant. YMMV.

As for preventing spasms, in addition to being smart about lifting
things, I have three recommendations: strengthen your core (ab and
back exercises), stretch on a regular basis (especially the hamstrings
and lower back), and stay hydrated. And if you have a beer belly, you
might want to do something about that as well. ;-) HTH.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Nichols

In article 01c66a34$b2f54560$2fa6c3d8@race, * wrote:
:
:Two questions......
:
:1.) Does the pain seem to radiate down the leg?
:
:2.) Do you carry a rather thick wallet in the rear pocket on that side?
:
:
:If the answer to both is "yes", then you MAY have pinched a sciatic nerve.
:
:I used to do it all the time to my left side - which happened to be the
:side I carried my wallet on.
:
octor explained that the wallet usually sits over the sciatic nerve in the
:back pocket and irritates it.

To relieve the condition, the doctor emptied your wallet, right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Unknown

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:22:55 GMT, Ignoramus21303
wrote:

,;Something strange happened yesterday. I was riding a bicycle, along
,;with my son also riding his tricycle. He finally got tired and asked
,;me to carry his bike home, which I did by riding my own bike with his
,;tricycle in my right hand.
,;
,;So far so good.
,;
,;Then, as I arrived home, still sitting on my bicycle, I leaned to set
,;his tricycle on the ground. As I did that, I had sudden back pain and
,;it is not going away. I have hard times bending in a certain way and
,;walk with a funny gait.
,;
,;What could this be and should I be worried?

Probably not. Sounds like a muscle spasm. If you have pain running
down the leg than it may be a disk problem.

I used to get these. Usually by some awkward position and reaching for
something. Not necessarily heavy lifting.

I found two ways to deal with them.

1. Use a heat pad, sleep on the floor for the three or four days. (It
was extremely painful to try to move when in bed) Things returned to
normal in about ten days.

2. Go to the clinic and get a muscle relaxant prescription. Take pills
per schedule. Use a heat pad, sleep on the floor for the three or four
days. (It was extremely painful to try to move when in bed) Things
returned to normal in about ten days.

In subsequent years I found #1 to be the best solution.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

What the others said; just one comment on the perscription "muscle
relaxant". The other name for these is "jello pills" because that is
what your body will feel like after taking them. Any position other than
horizontal is just not going to happen.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

And there are patches - HOT-COLD that are menthol IIRC - that really helps!

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Grant Erwin wrote:
Ignoramus21303 wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Your alignment is out. Get some good references and see a Chiropractor.
They can perform miracles in my book.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete

Default sudden back pain

Another two cents worth!
As most of us age we tend to reduce our consumption of dairy products ,
quite often due to lactose intolerance.This one item has not been mentioned
yet there is a simple and effective way to reduce the muscle spasms that are
associated with aging and calcium deficiencies due to diet. These spasms
are a catch 22 proposition since as we age lactose intolerance becomes more
prevalent therefore we reduce one of our main sources of dietary calcium and
generally our muscle tone diminishes as well. To combat this and to avoid
muscle cramping you need to increase your calcium intake , but just taking
calcium will not serve the purpose alone . You must take a calcium
supplement that has magnesium with it or the calcium will not be absorbed by
the body. If your diet does not supply enough absorbable calcium the body
will start depleting the calcium reserves from your bones and you will
eventually end up with osteoporosis and spasms.

As a side bar comment anyone working with lead / zinc ( welders especially)
should never allow their bodies to end up in a calcium deficient state since
the body will start storing lead in the bone structure a little bit at a
time where the calcium should be. When your body has a severe demand for
calcium the stored lead will cause lead poisoning. Your next stop will be
cleation.

Pete

"Ignoramus21303" wrote in message
Something strange happened yesterday. I was riding a bicycle, along
with my son also riding his tricycle. He finally got tired and asked
me to carry his bike home, which I did by riding my own bike with his
tricycle in my right hand.

So far so good.

Then, as I arrived home, still sitting on my bicycle, I leaned to set
his tricycle on the ground. As I did that, I had sudden back pain and
it is not going away. I have hard times bending in a certain way and
walk with a funny gait.

What could this be and should I be worried?

thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

A couple of things to add to what's been said (all good stuff):

I go for alcohol as a muscle relaxant. Pick your favorite. The idea is
your muscles are hurt and clenched up as a result of the
injury--relaxing them helps them heal faster.

I've gotten useful help from a chiropractor or masseuse, but I find
their help less effective the longer I wait after the injury.

I don' t know about you, but in my case I had problems because I have a
desk job and do blacksmithing on weekends (i.e. moving heavy things at
times). My chiropractor got me to doing morning exercises to strengthen
my back and stomach muscles, which helps a lot. So does paying close
attention to correct lifting practices.

Steve

Ignoramus21303 wrote:

Something strange happened yesterday. I was riding a bicycle, along
with my son also riding his tricycle. He finally got tired and asked
me to carry his bike home, which I did by riding my own bike with his
tricycle in my right hand.

So far so good.

Then, as I arrived home, still sitting on my bicycle, I leaned to set
his tricycle on the ground. As I did that, I had sudden back pain and
it is not going away. I have hard times bending in a certain way and
walk with a funny gait.

What could this be and should I be worried?

thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22287

I want to say thanks to everyone. The pain is 90% gone. It was
definitely a muscle spasm. I will work on my abs. I can do pullups,
actually, but I am not paying much attention to "core strength". That
needs to change. Good points on calcium deficiency, indeed, I need to
eat more dairy as I am not lactose intolerant. This sort of thing
happens about twice before.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Something strange happened yesterday. I was riding a bicycle, along
with my son also riding his tricycle. He finally got tired and asked
me to carry his bike home, which I did by riding my own bike with his
tricycle in my right hand.

So far so good.

Then, as I arrived home, still sitting on my bicycle, I leaned to set
his tricycle on the ground. As I did that, I had sudden back pain and
it is not going away. I have hard times bending in a certain way and
walk with a funny gait.

What could this be and should I be worried?

thanks

Welcome to the real world of back issues. You pinched a nerve. The
nerve bundle is now swollen in its sheath..and is being pinched more

Take an anti inflammatory, lay down and stay down

I found out yesterday..that you can indeed put a 3/4" diameter finger
in the 5/16" gap between the concrete floor and the heavy sheet metal
base of a Hardinge HLS speed lathe.

You can actually do it..if when the guy holding the base off the floor
with the pinch bar sneezes and jerks the bar out and it falls several
inches and lands perfectly across the first joing of your Bird finger.
It doesnt cut off your finger this way. It hyper extends the joint..ie
wedges both sides of the joint apart 3/16", but blowing out the blood
vessels and tissus.

It also..if you have the clarity, to make you anunciate very clearly,
and loudly to over come shop noise, the firm request to pick up the
machine again. However..it may cause the pinch bar weilding shop
owner, suddenly seeing a rapidly expanding pool of blood running out
from under his machine, on both sides of of what appears to be a
completly severed finger..to turn green, then white..then drop the
pinch bar..stumble backwards several feet and freeze.

Having a well practiced Command Voice will often (after several
command sequences) unfreeze the shop owner who will then utilize the
pinch bar to lift the machine, after what feels like several lifetimes
has passed by..so the now gushing digit may be examined in relief in
finding it still is attached..and still flexes.

At this point..a well practiced Command Invective sequence
iniitializes..and runs through a 50 yr collection of invective, in at
least 5 language. Afterwhich a Invective Generation Program Macro
turns on and additional New Invective is developed and uttered at
random level and pitches. Punctuated by Artistic New Age Art
comprised of splashes and splotches of the Artists own essence applied
to any canvas nearby, machines, walls, floors as the Artist does The
Steel Dance.

However..the bandaged and swollen digit does require the Artist to
type rather ackwardly and slowly..depending on his Spell Checker to
repair mangled text.

Pictures available on request.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Had he been a NYC owner, while the machine was on yer finger, he would have
asked to re-negotiate your rates.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Except that magnesium doesn't have anything to w/ Calcium
absorption--vitamin D does.
It is recommended that Ca/Mg/Potassium/Phosphorous/Na occur in the diet in
certain ratios, laregly (I believe) for electrolyte balance purposes, but
not for absorption purposes.

But magnesium, and potassium, are more important in muscle cramping.
It is unlikely that low calcium predisposes lead storage in the bones, as
the electronic structures are different, but anything is possible--lead is
thought (by some) to be a natural (very trace) component of bone anyway.
Otoh, cadmium poisoning *can* be affected by zinc, due to similar electronic
structure, and zinc might even do sumpn for Hg poisoning for similar
reasons, assuming elemental Hg is a culprit as well as the notorious
methylated mercury.

Finally, Calcium balance, or imbalance in the Merkin diet, is largely due to
piggish over-consumption of protein in our diets, furthered in part by diet
gurus who don't know a fukn thing about nutrition, but who advocate diets w/
a "conservative" 30% protein.
This is an OUTRAGE, when the RDA, on a %-basis (which not the correct way to
do protein inyway), is more like 5-8%!!! Protein, btw, is the only toxic
nutrient--de-amination, donchaknow...
And, the RDA, by definition of the bell curve and the two standard
deviations to its right, is *already* excessive for 48% of the g-d
population!!!
Go figger.
BigfuknMac, inyone??

Unsurprisingly, w/ the lower protein intakes of other countries, these
countries achieve calcium balance w/ 1/4 of our calcium intake.
High protein diets screw up the modulating role of Vit D in calcium
absorption.

And abs have little to do w/ your back--or posture. The obliques mebbe
slightly more.

This ab **** that has swept the country since Tony fuknLittle introduced his
Ab Isolator, is one of the biggest con jobs ever to be put on the end of a
broom stick--bigger than Cold Fusion, which was mercifully short-lived.
Note that the pudgy li'l huckster Tony Little didn't/dudn't have a g-d ab
*anywhere* on his pudgy li'l body. Why do you think that pudgy li'l runt had
to wear a fukn spandex *body suit*????
Nor would his abs-olutely useless Isolator *ever* give him abs.
Getting abs, for the normal person, is like growing to 7' in height, when
yer 40 y.o and 5'8".
So much for the importance of abs.

But, you can kill a number of birds w/ one stone by a variety of hanging
techniques.
Hanging techniques and/or chiropractic care, for some back conditions, can
be virtually instant near-magical cures, from excruciating pain to complete
normalcy, in seconds.

Unfortunately back spasms is not one of these conditions, but the jury is
almost always hung on what is or is not a neuro-skeletal mis-alignment, and
what is true muscle strain.
Or, if they are even located in the spine-proper!
Imo, pill popping, be it otc or prescription, is but another scourge of
Merka, from numerous povs.

Hanging by yer hands from an overhead bar (a system which I build), either
free-hanging or with your feet still on the ground, at various
positions/angles, can be magical.
With your feet off the ground, the hang is of course a little more
intense/strenuous, but often not as effective as w/ the feet still on the
ground, due to sed strenuousness. But, you can then do knee lifts, which
will help yer abs a little, but mostly yer back.

You can also inversion hang, another system I build, or buy a passive
inversion machine you see on QVC (Teeter Totter), which, unlike most of the
**** they feature, is not at all over-hyped, even tho everything there does
sound hyped--makes me gag.
However, they do misrepresent the dangers of ICP (IntraCranialPressure), the
risk of which increases w/ age, and which are esp. prevalent in passive
inversion machines.
Active inversion techniques (mine) are more of a pita and less convenient,
but far more versatile from pt/rehab/fitness povs, w/ drastically less ICP.

Sams Club had one of many Teeter Totter clones for $139. Bought one, not
bad. Teeter-totter is $2-300.

If you have only 15 seconds a day to exercise, that 15 seconds should be
spent hanging.
Every organism on earth should hang.
Well, at least the constipated bi-peds--ie, humans.

Oh, fwiw, most of the elements in this discussion are classified as
"metals".
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Ignoramus22287" wrote in message
news
I want to say thanks to everyone. The pain is 90% gone. It was
definitely a muscle spasm. I will work on my abs. I can do pullups,
actually, but I am not paying much attention to "core strength". That
needs to change. Good points on calcium deficiency, indeed, I need to
eat more dairy as I am not lactose intolerant. This sort of thing
happens about twice before.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

" * " has been heard from again . The use of a punctuation mark for a
handle begs the question: Why? Does it indidcate a footmark, perhaps,
denoting an embarrasingly low IQ? Oh!, I know. Spam avoidance.

Bob Swinney

"*" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:34:17 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Had he been a NYC owner, while the machine was on yer finger, he would have
asked to re-negotiate your rates.

And knowing Gunner, if the guy tried to pull something exceptionally
stupid like that he would have suddenly come down with an acute case
of Lead Poisoning. Double-tap, right between the eyes even if he's
shooting lefty and from a bad angle.

Geez, Gun - How many times have we discussed keeping all bodily
parts well clear and out from under heavy things in motion?

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Mebbe dats why Gunner don't appear to have any employees... he shot'em
all??
Which is OK, since he's a cat lover.

Yeah, that finger is going to hurt for at least a month. yikes...
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
wrote:

Had he been a NYC owner, while the machine was on yer finger, he would
have
asked to re-negotiate your rates.

And knowing Gunner, if the guy tried to pull something exceptionally
stupid like that he would have suddenly come down with an acute case
of Lead Poisoning. Double-tap, right between the eyes even if he's
shooting lefty and from a bad angle.

Geez, Gun - How many times have we discussed keeping all bodily
parts well clear and out from under heavy things in motion?

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Had he been a NYC owner, while the machine was on yer finger, he would have
asked to re-negotiate your rates.

And knowing Gunner, if the guy tried to pull something exceptionally
stupid like that he would have suddenly come down with an acute case
of Lead Poisoning. Double-tap, right between the eyes even if he's
shooting lefty and from a bad angle.

Fortunately it was my left hand..my right was over my ankle holster.

Geez, Gun - How many times have we discussed keeping all bodily
parts well clear and out from under heavy things in motion?

-- Bruce --

It wasnt in motion until he sneezed.

Shrug...

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"Ignoramus21303" wrote in message
| Something strange happened yesterday. I was riding a bicycle, along
| with my son also riding his tricycle. He finally got tired and asked
| me to carry his bike home, which I did by riding my own bike with his
| tricycle in my right hand.
|
| So far so good.
|
| Then, as I arrived home, still sitting on my bicycle, I leaned to set
| his tricycle on the ground. As I did that, I had sudden back pain and
| it is not going away. I have hard times bending in a certain way and
| walk with a funny gait.
|
| What could this be and should I be worried?

The comment about this being familiar to blue collar trades is spot on.
I've had them on and off over the years. I've screwed my back up pretty
bad, but never anything that a trip to the emergency room for some pills and
stuff wouldn't solve. Guess I'm lucky.
What I've learned is that you can rarely say that any one thing did it.
I got a bad one recently crouching down to get something out of a kitchen
cabinet one morning. Why? Who cares, won't solve anything.
I have learned that the most important thing is not to stop moving
around. Keep active. I did my back in one time and two days later I got
laid off for unrelated reasons. Spent weeks royally messed up because I was
laying around the house. Keeping the muscles moving and working will fix
you up a lot faster than letting it rest and get worse. I learned that the
hard way, and after a bad back event I'm good to go three or days later,
rather than weeks later.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Norman Yarvin

(Catching up on old news...)

I have found the book "Treat Your Own Back", by Robin McKenzie, to be
most useful. A quote from it:

"Many publications set out to tell you how to look after your own
back, and you may well wonder why yet another one is now offered.
The reason is that this is the first book to show you how to _put
your back in_ if you are unfortunate enough to have _put it out_;
and in addition, it shows you what steps you must take to prevent
recurrence."

The companion pamphlet "Treat Your Own Neck" is also quite good. They
can be had from:

http://optp.com/index.cfm/pageid/203

(I have no connection with these people except as a satisfied customer.)

--
Norman Yarvin http://yarchive.net

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
Cabinet back question Trace Wilson Woodworking 8 February 2nd 06 01:08 PM
Gunner: I'm back Gunner Metalworking 388 July 9th 04 12:35 AM
Wood for Childrens Blocks Wyatt Wright Woodworking 15 April 7th 04 05:15 AM