Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ring & pinion gears (car axles)

I may come to need a pair of helical gears to change a shaft direction
90 degrees, with a reduction of about 4:1 to 5:1 .

Though they are a bit large, the cheapest sources of these is the gears
from car axles. The stress they will be placed under in my use will be
drastically less than what they'd get moving a car around.

What does the measurement of car R&P sets refer to exactly? I can't find
any place that says.

Second I have noticed that many axles are not bevel gears but hypoids. I
would need to know the shaft offset to make a proper housing, since axle
pumpkins are way heavier than I'd want. Is there anywhere online that
gives that info?

If there is any other source of perpendicular ring & pinions around
5"-6" diameter I'd like to hear about it.
.....ATV's are around the perfect size, but at $200+ a pair, they cost as
much as the much-stronger 7"+ car gears.
.....Golf carts all seem to use parallel drive methods (roller pinions
instead of bevel gear pinions).
.....custom gear places would want $500 to make a pair of hardened gears
that size.
.....I have looked at a lot of surplus miter gear boxes, but they're
usually straight-cut gears, or have a reduction ratio that is too high.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DougC wrote:

[...]

The measurement is the ring gear OD. if you don't need much load
capability, go with the smallest dia you can find in the ratio you need.
4.56 and 4.88 are pretty common ratios, though usually on fairly large
gears for larger trucks.

Have you looked for a right angle gearbox on surpluscenter.com ? You
can likely find something better than auto diff gears there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:12:54 -0500, DougC
wrote:

[...]

How about an old shaft drive motorcycle rear end? Then you wouldn't
have to build a housing.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I may come to need a pair of helical gears to change a shaft direction
90 degrees, with a reduction of about 4:1 to 5:1 .

I've seen 4.56:1 sets, but they're usually about ten inches in
diameter.

Though they are a bit large, the cheapest sources of these is the gears
from car axles. The stress they will be placed under in my use will be
drastically less than what they'd get moving a car around.

What does the measurement of car R&P sets refer to exactly? I can't find
any place that says.

4.56:1 means that the pinion shaft turns four and one half times for
every revolution of the ring gear. Size is usually O.D., IIRC, but
it's been a long while.

Second I have noticed that many axles are not bevel gears but hypoids. I
would need to know the shaft offset to make a proper housing, since axle
pumpkins are way heavier than I'd want. Is there anywhere online that
gives that info?

Good question.

If there is any other source of perpendicular ring & pinions around
5"-6" diameter I'd like to hear about it.
....ATV's are around the perfect size, but at $200+ a pair, they cost as
much as the much-stronger 7"+ car gears.

ATVs were the source I was going to suggest. Try Burden Surplus at
www.surpluscenter.com . I've seen them there, complete with trannies.
$15-350. Complete ZTR left/right Transaxle Assemblies are about $699.

....Golf carts all seem to use parallel drive methods (roller pinions
instead of bevel gear pinions).
....custom gear places would want $500 to make a pair of hardened gears
that size.
....I have looked at a lot of surplus miter gear boxes, but they're
usually straight-cut gears, or have a reduction ratio that is too high.

Burden might also have right angle gear reduction units for cheaper
prices (made for DC motor use.)

--
Threee days before Tucson, Howard Dean explained that the
tea party movement is "the last gasp of the generation that

Let us hope that Dean is the last gasp of the generation
of liberals whose default position in any argument is to
indict opponents as racists. This McCarthyism of the left
-- devoid of intellectual content, unsupported by data --
is a mental tic, not an idea but a tactic for avoiding
engagement with ideas. It expresses limitless contempt for
the American people, who have reciprocated by reducing
liberalism to its current characteristics of electoral
weakness and bad sociology. --George Will 14 JAN 2011
Article titled "Tragedies often spark plenty of analysis"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

1928 to 1948 Ford car rear axles are coplanar with helical gears.
HTH,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 16, 3:12*pm, DougC wrote:
I may come to need a pair of helical gears to change a shaft direction
90 degrees, with a reduction of about 4:1 to 5:1 .

Though they are a bit large, the cheapest sources of these is the gears
from car axles. The stress they will be placed under in my use will be
drastically less than what they'd get moving a car around....

Are you looking for one unit or a steady source?

Speed, torque, horsepower?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/17/2011 7:43 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Apr 16, 3:12 pm, wrote:
I may come to need a pair of helical gears to change a shaft direction
90 degrees, with a reduction of about 4:1 to 5:1 .

Though they are a bit large, the cheapest sources of these is the gears
from car axles. The stress they will be placed under in my use will be
drastically less than what they'd get moving a car around....

Are you looking for one unit or a steady source?

Speed, torque, horsepower?

jsw

This is for a ~5 hp engine for a bicycle, and I only need one.

My concern with the surplus and motorcycle drives is if the gears would
eat themselves, would there be a source of new parts at realistic prices?

The car R&Ps are huge, fairly cheap and new sets are easily available if
(somehow) the first one would end up failing. I wouldn't need an entire
CAD file of the whole rear-end, just the axis offsets--and the gear
manufacturer would know that.

The ATV unit is about ideal, but I think the only ATV ring & pinion
gears I have found at all are for the Honda TRX 300,,,, a model that the
factory stopped building eleven years ago.

I'm looking at re-arranging the engine to avoid the 90-degree gears at
all though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 17, 6:08*pm, DougC wrote:
On 4/17/2011 7:43 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
This is for a ~5 hp engine for a bicycle, and I only need one.

My concern with the surplus and motorcycle drives is if the gears would
eat themselves, would there be a source of new parts at realistic prices?

If you can engineer one unit to fit, why couldn't you redesign for a
different one?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

DougC wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:12:54 -0500:

Second I have noticed that many axles are not bevel gears but hypoids. I
would need to know the shaft offset to make a proper housing, since axle
pumpkins are way heavier than I'd want. Is there anywhere online that
gives that info?

you might check with the Jeep/4x4/off road folks(forums/newsgroups),
as they often swap out the ring and pinion sets when beefing up their
rigs. And you might be able to contact someone at the auto/truck gear
set mfg. that can tell you what the offset for a particular set of
gears/ axle.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 17, 8:36*pm, (dan) wrote:
DougC wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking *on Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:12:54 -0500:

Second I have noticed that many axles are not bevel gears but hypoids. I
would need to know the shaft offset to make a proper housing, since axle
pumpkins are way heavier than I'd want. Is there anywhere online that
gives that info?

you might check with the Jeep/4x4/off road folks(forums/newsgroups),
as they often swap out the ring and pinion sets when beefing up their
rigs. *And you might be able to contact someone at the auto/truck gear
set mfg. that can tell you what the offset for a particular set of
gears/ axle.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_...o_hypoid_gears

jsw

Ford Axles Snag[_3_] Metalworking 5 July 24th 10 04:30 AM
building trailer axles mark Metalworking 29 April 10th 08 02:43 AM
Swap? Atlas 10F change gears, need 618 gears Rex B Metalworking 6 February 15th 06 03:41 AM
Wooden gears to metal gears. Don Stauffer Metalworking 5 January 30th 06 09:53 PM
Source for Intermatic plastic pinion gears Sam Goldwasser Electronics Repair 5 October 31st 05 06:23 PM