Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default ring & pinion gears (car axles)

On Apr 17, 8:36*pm, (dan) wrote:
DougC wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking *on Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:12:54 -0500:

Second I have noticed that many axles are not bevel gears but hypoids. I
would need to know the shaft offset to make a proper housing, since axle
pumpkins are way heavier than I'd want. Is there anywhere online that
gives that info?

you might check with the Jeep/4x4/off road folks(forums/newsgroups),
as they often swap out the ring and pinion sets when beefing up their
rigs. *And you might be able to contact someone at the auto/truck gear
set mfg. that can tell you what the offset for a particular set of
gears/ axle.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.