Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DougC DougC is offline

Default ring & pinion gears (car axles)

On 4/17/2011 7:43 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Apr 16, 3:12 pm, wrote:
I may come to need a pair of helical gears to change a shaft direction
90 degrees, with a reduction of about 4:1 to 5:1 .

Though they are a bit large, the cheapest sources of these is the gears
from car axles. The stress they will be placed under in my use will be
drastically less than what they'd get moving a car around....

Are you looking for one unit or a steady source?

Speed, torque, horsepower?

jsw

This is for a ~5 hp engine for a bicycle, and I only need one.

My concern with the surplus and motorcycle drives is if the gears would
eat themselves, would there be a source of new parts at realistic prices?

The car R&Ps are huge, fairly cheap and new sets are easily available if
(somehow) the first one would end up failing. I wouldn't need an entire
CAD file of the whole rear-end, just the axis offsets--and the gear
manufacturer would know that.

The ATV unit is about ideal, but I think the only ATV ring & pinion
gears I have found at all are for the Honda TRX 300,,,, a model that the
factory stopped building eleven years ago.

I'm looking at re-arranging the engine to avoid the 90-degree gears at
all though.