Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Difference between a Shars and Kurt vise

http://www.shars.com/products/view/5...Machine_ Vise

http://www.kurtworkholding.com/manua...1204-l-en.html

Has anyone ever compared them to see what is better about the Kurt
vise? I have a Shars vise and want to know what I am missing. THanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus8104 wrote:

http://www.shars.com/products/view/5...ecision_Millin
g_Machine_Vise

The Shars vise looks like the $90 vise I bought and refitted some time
ago. See "Clone 4" Kurt-style Mill Vise Acquired" in March and February
2010 in RCM.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 26, 2:01*pm, Ignoramus8104
wrote:
http://www.shars.com/products/view/5...k_Down_Precisi...

http://www.kurtworkholding.com/manua...1204-l-en.html

Has anyone ever compared them to see what is better about the Kurt
vise? I have a Shars vise and want to know what I am missing. THanks

I don't have the shars, copy, (I have 2 Kurt vises I got on enco sale
10 years ago), I got a bison brand (not the polish company) copy from
penntool. Reading the shars info they took words from kurts
documentation like 80,000 psi ductile iron body (shars 80,000 lbs of
ductile iron typo). What I'm not seeing directly in the kurt web site
is any mention of "Groove lock" a workstop system that is very handy.
They don't even show the machined groove in the back jaw that this
clamps into in any of the vise photos. This is patented by kurt.
Their Anglock patent must have timed out, as the shars vise and bison
copy are claiming this same feature.

I don't know that the workstop feature is worth $250 as there are
other methods of clamping a workstop to the bit of jaw that stands
above the vise body.

penntool link to kurt for $400
http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...ategoryID=2514

ignator

Kurt vise problem Bill Martin[_3_] Metalworking 8 March 25th 11 06:02 PM
Kurt vise swivel attachment question Tom Gardner[_2_] Metalworking 15 March 24th 08 01:22 AM
FS-8" kurt vise Gunner Metalworking 0 November 27th 04 12:20 AM
Kurt Vise for Clausing 8520 Woody Metalworking 2 September 25th 03 01:50 AM
Kurt vise FA on eBay Rick Chamberlain Metalworking 2 August 3rd 03 04:08 PM