Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Anyone watching the Japanesee Nuke situtation closely?

They are trying to run a new power line to the plant to power the
pumps. What I do not understand is why not bring in a generator, is
there not a generator anywhere in Japan or the world for that matter
that cannot power at least one pump?

One big ass generator and a Chinook helo to put it in place. Or
abunch of gen sets.

CH-47D Chinook = 26,000 pound lift capacity.

What am I missing?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy333 wrote:
They are trying to run a new power line to the plant to power the
pumps. What I do not understand is why not bring in a generator, is
there not a generator anywhere in Japan or the world for that matter
that cannot power at least one pump?

One big ass generator and a Chinook helo to put it in place. Or
abunch of gen sets.

CH-47D Chinook = 26,000 pound lift capacity.

What am I missing?

'Ionizing radiation', I suspect.

It'd be safer to sacrifice (let's face it) one or two people to
connect the far end of the cable to the pump than to sacrifice
several more people on a daily basis to fuel and maintain the
generator in the middle of a radiation gale.

I *guess* that particle concentration falls as the square of
distance, so keeping people far away is a good idea.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 22, 10:05*am, Winston wrote:
Randy333 wrote:
They are trying to run a new power line to the plant to power the
pumps. * What I do not understand is why not bring in a generator, is
there not a generator anywhere in Japan or the world for that matter
that cannot power at least one pump?

One big ass generator and a Chinook helo to put it in place. *Or
abunch of gen sets.

CH-47D Chinook = 26,000 pound lift capacity.

What am I missing?

'Ionizing radiation', I suspect.

It'd be safer to sacrifice (let's face it) one or two people to
connect the far end of the cable to the pump than to sacrifice
several more people on a daily basis to fuel and maintain the
generator in the middle of a radiation gale.

I *guess* that particle concentration falls as the square of
distance, so keeping people far away is a good idea.

--Winston

What do you think a 10, or even 5Mw(e), Diesel or gas turbine powered
generator weighs???

Wolfgang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 22, 8:54*am, Randy333 wrote:
They are trying to run a new power line to the plant to power the
pumps. * What I do not understand is why not bring in a generator, is
there not a generator anywhere in Japan or the world for that matter
that cannot power at least one pump?

One big ass generator and a Chinook helo to put it in place. *Or
abunch of gen sets.

CH-47D Chinook = 26,000 pound lift capacity.

What am I missing?

Fuel.

What are you going to power the generator with?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wolfgang wrote:
On Mar 22, 10:05 am, wrote:
Randy333 wrote:
[...]

9 MW ~ 88,000 lbs. The helicopter is out!

http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.co...9000-1274.aspx

One could transport a couple thousand of these on a
container ship, though.

A long cable would still be necessary.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/22/2011 08:54 AM, Randy333 wrote:
They are trying to run a new power line to the plant to power the
pumps. What I do not understand is why not bring in a generator, is
there not a generator anywhere in Japan or the world for that matter
that cannot power at least one pump?

One big ass generator and a Chinook helo to put it in place. Or
abunch of gen sets.

CH-47D Chinook = 26,000 pound lift capacity.

CH47 can't lift the kind of generators they had on site, probably in tha
class of 6000 Hp each, and they had more than a few. I got a tour of
our local Nuke plant years ago, just a single unit, I think the primary
coolant pumps were 1000 Hp each, and there were 4 of them.
Anyway, they had 6 Diesel generators, and each was at least the size of
a locomotive engine, about 20 feet long and 12 or 16 cylinders.

They HAVE been running generators on some of the reactor units for days
now, but it seems that some of the pump motors or something were wrecked
by the tsunami. They are replacing those now.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
wolfgang wrote:
On Mar 22, 10:05 am, wrote:
Randy333 wrote:
[...]

That led to a quick search, shame the big boy is now retired as that had
the capacity to lift the genset.
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...rs/q0284.shtml .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy333 wrote:

They are trying to run a new power line to the plant to power the
pumps. What I do not understand is why not bring in a generator, is
there not a generator anywhere in Japan or the world for that matter
that cannot power at least one pump?

One big ass generator and a Chinook helo to put it in place. Or
abunch of gen sets.

CH-47D Chinook = 26,000 pound lift capacity.

What am I missing?

The US is too busy playing patty-cake with the UN in Libya.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy333 wrote:

They are trying to run a new power line to the plant to power the
pumps. What I do not understand is why not bring in a generator, is
there not a generator anywhere in Japan or the world for that matter
that cannot power at least one pump?

One big ass generator and a Chinook helo to put it in place. Or
abunch of gen sets.

CH-47D Chinook = 26,000 pound lift capacity.

What am I missing?

They've also got thousands of victims of an 8.9 earthquake and
10 meter tsunami to attend to.

Regards,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:
(...)

That led to a quick search, shame the big boy is now retired as that had
the capacity to lift the genset.
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...rs/q0284.shtml .

Wow! Stunning!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 22, 2:43*pm, Jon Elson wrote:
On 03/22/2011 08:54 AM, Randy333 wrote: They are trying to run a new power line to the plant to power the
[...]

Yeah..that little detail that all the electrical stuff was submerged
with salt water.

Anyone who has dealt with flooded electrical systems (and especially
with salt water) can tell you the nightmare these poor guys are
dealing with.

The management and politicians should have to be working along side
those who are trying to fix this.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:

That led to a quick search, shame the big boy is now retired as that had
the capacity to lift the genset.
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...rs/q0284.shtml .

David,

Thanks for an interesting read. I learned something tonight. I *thought* the skycrane
was the heaviest lift helo until tonight.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Be nice if they could break it out of moth balls, long
enough to lift in a generator.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Winston" wrote in message
David Billington wrote:
(...)

That led to a quick search, shame the big boy is now
retired as that had
the capacity to lift the genset.
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...rs/q0284.shtml .

Wow! Stunning!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Engine starting battery in that size, probably requires
about a two year back order from NAPA? And, try to find
people who are trained to do the lube oil and filter. Adjust
the control cables, etc. Probably all the people who know
how, are in the Russian old age homes.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Be nice if they could break it out of moth balls, long
enough to lift in a generator.

It would take months (or years?) to put it back in flying
shape...

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 14:43:30 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

[...]

I had no idea, the news sure doesn't give you any real facts. I was
thinking 100 HP pumps, not 1000.

Bring in tankers of distilled water to wash off all the pump motors?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Bring in tankers of distilled water to wash off all the pump motors?- Hide quoted text -

It's not what is on the outside, it's what is inside the pump
motors..and switch boxes...and wiring trays...and
breakers...and...well you get the idea.

Meanwhile being exposed to high levels of radiation.

I predict that they will run out of people to do the work...the
experienced ones are likely close to their lifetime dose of radiation.

Maybe they can import cheap American conservatives to do the dirty
work....

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
David Billington wrote:

That led to a quick search, shame the big boy is now retired as that had
the capacity to lift the genset.
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...rs/q0284.shtml .

David,

Thanks for an interesting read. I learned something tonight. I *thought* the skycrane
was the heaviest lift helo until tonight.

Wes

Wes,

I was surprised and I thought the odd looking helicopter, the
Sikorsky CH-54, was the heaviest lift and Soviet but turns out to be
nowhere near the heaviest lift, that featured in a Hollywood movie
lifting a bus IIRC. Must have been embarrassing for the Chinook to be
picked up by the Soviet MI-26 but what the hell Sikorsky was Russian
to start with.