Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Anyone watching the Japanesee Nuke situtation closely?

On 03/22/2011 08:54 AM, Randy333 wrote:
They are trying to run a new power line to the plant to power the
pumps. What I do not understand is why not bring in a generator, is
there not a generator anywhere in Japan or the world for that matter
that cannot power at least one pump?

One big ass generator and a Chinook helo to put it in place. Or
abunch of gen sets.

CH-47D Chinook = 26,000 pound lift capacity.

CH47 can't lift the kind of generators they had on site, probably in tha
class of 6000 Hp each, and they had more than a few. I got a tour of
our local Nuke plant years ago, just a single unit, I think the primary
coolant pumps were 1000 Hp each, and there were 4 of them.
Anyway, they had 6 Diesel generators, and each was at least the size of
a locomotive engine, about 20 feet long and 12 or 16 cylinders.

They HAVE been running generators on some of the reactor units for days
now, but it seems that some of the pump motors or something were wrecked
by the tsunami. They are replacing those now.

Jon