Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A totally different solution 2 Piece Vise

Oh, man I like this one. I was looking for a 2 piece vise with a little
more downward clamping action like a "screwless" vise rather than a
straight screw like the one I made a while back. Grizzly used to have a
neat one. The H7770. Its actually got two jaws that can move. I
considered buying one and using them with a squared up stop fence bolted
down between them so I could setup two parts at once. Anyway. Its
discontinued. A search on-line for two piece vises didn't turn up much,
but an image search for 2 piece mill vise found something I thought was
really cool.

Reverse the moving jaw, screw, and cross bar on a "screwless" vise so
that it tightens outward instead of inward. I'ld be pushing my table
size and working envelope on the little machines with anything but the
smallest vise, but it could be a real problem solver for clamping large
work pieces with the big machine.

Simple, elegant, and I wish I had thought of it.

Now if I can just remember it when I need it.

http://www.yumabassman.com/images/ReversedScrewless.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For woodworking in the vertical mill, I made a fixture that is just a
1' x 2' piece of 3/4" plywood that has a 2"x2"x6" board fastened on
the bottom.

I put the 2x2 in the jaws of the 6" Kurt vise on the mill table.

I then clamp flat wood to be milled on top of the plywood.

I soon learned I wanted a few stops on top, so I could take a board
being worked off and put it back in the same position or put a
different board on for the same cut.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" fired this volley in
:

For woodworking in the vertical mill,

You git sawdust on the workin' parts of my BP, and you DIE before you get
the sawdust offn' yer jeans.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
" fired this volley
in
:

For woodworking in the vertical mill,

You git sawdust on the workin' parts of my BP, and you DIE before you
get the sawdust offn' yer jeans.

LLoyd

I'll occasionally turn some wood on my Logan lathe , but I cover everything
with foil and/or newspaper to keep the dust outta the works . Wood dust and
oil make for a horrible mess to clean up .
The one time I did some wood on my mill I had a shop vac sucking the dust
up as it was made . The patterns for casting flasks came out beautiful .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
" fired this volley in

For woodworking in the vertical mill,

You git sawdust on the workin' parts of my BP, and you DIE before you get
the sawdust offn' yer jeans.

Isn't that what "shop air" is for? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise fired this volley in news:il3js8$4do
:

Isn't that what "shop air" is for? ;-)

Yep, and you blow chips offn' my machines ruther than vacuumin' 'em off,
you die, too! G

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Rich Grise fired this volley in
news:il3js8$4do :

Isn't that what "shop air" is for? ;-)

Yep, and you blow chips offn' my machines ruther than vacuumin' 'em off,
you die, too! G

Hmmm. It's too bad I can't teach that to the primates that work here - they
blow the chips off the machine, and I have to vacuum them up off the floor.

It doesn't take a very big chip to plug up a shop-vac hose. )-;

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote in
:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Rich Grise fired this volley in
news:il3js8$4do :

Isn't that what "shop air" is for? ;-)

Yep, and you blow chips offn' my machines ruther than vacuumin' 'em
off, you die, too! G

Hmmm. It's too bad I can't teach that to the primates that work here -
they blow the chips off the machine, and I have to vacuum them up off
the floor.

It's not the chips on the floor I worry about. It's the ones that get
blasted into the tight corners of the machine where they can jam & abrade
things that I want to avoid.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White fired this volley in
:

It's not the chips on the floor I worry about. It's the ones that get
blasted into the tight corners of the machine where they can jam &
abrade things that I want to avoid.

yep... that'd be the issue.

I can always sweep big curls up off the machines before I vacuum the tiny
stuff. I cannot vacuum the swarf from under and between slides, ways, and
gibs (and lead screws, DAMNIT!)

LLoyd