Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A totally different solution 2 Piece Vise

Oh, man I like this one. I was looking for a 2 piece vise with a little
more downward clamping action like a "screwless" vise rather than a
straight screw like the one I made a while back. Grizzly used to have a
neat one. The H7770. Its actually got two jaws that can move. I
considered buying one and using them with a squared up stop fence bolted
down between them so I could setup two parts at once. Anyway. Its
discontinued. A search on-line for two piece vises didn't turn up much,
but an image search for 2 piece mill vise found something I thought was
really cool.

Reverse the moving jaw, screw, and cross bar on a "screwless" vise so
that it tightens outward instead of inward. I'ld be pushing my table
size and working envelope on the little machines with anything but the
smallest vise, but it could be a real problem solver for clamping large
work pieces with the big machine.

Simple, elegant, and I wish I had thought of it.

Now if I can just remember it when I need it.

http://www.yumabassman.com/images/ReversedScrewless.jpg