Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ferrari V12 Engine Asssembly

Here's a nice little video showing casting, machining, and assembly of
Ferrari auto engines. That casting section of the plant looks to be
the cleanest foundry operation I have ever seen. Anybody else ever
seen such a clean foundry?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e1_1298514486

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 24, 1:23*am, wrote:
Here's a nice little video showing casting, machining, and assembly of
Ferrari auto engines. That casting section of the plant looks to be
the cleanest foundry operation I have ever seen. Anybody else ever
seen such a clean foundry?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e1_1298514486

Dave

Do you think the presence of a camera doesn't affect peoples' actions?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Feb 24, 1:23 am, wrote:
Here's a nice little video showing casting, machining, and assembly of
Ferrari auto engines. That casting section of the plant looks to be
the cleanest foundry operation I have ever seen. Anybody else ever
seen such a clean foundry?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e1_1298514486

Dave

Do you think the presence of a camera doesn't affect peoples' actions?

Did you watch the video?

There is clean and there is cleaned. This is
definitely *clean*

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:30:11 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Feb 24, 1:23 am, wrote:
Here's a nice little video showing casting, machining, and assembly of
Ferrari auto engines. That casting section of the plant looks to be
the cleanest foundry operation I have ever seen. Anybody else ever
seen such a clean foundry?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e1_1298514486

Dave

Do you think the presence of a camera doesn't affect peoples' actions?

Did you watch the video?

There is clean and there is cleaned. This is
definitely *clean*

How about a blast from the past, ironwise? The Original 5th Wheel!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo6PmCidhp0

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Feb 24, 1:23 am, wrote:
Here's a nice little video showing casting, machining, and assembly of
Ferrari auto engines. That casting section of the plant looks to be
the cleanest foundry operation I have ever seen. Anybody else ever
seen such a clean foundry?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e1_1298514486

Dave

Do you think the presence of a camera doesn't affect peoples' actions?

Did you watch the video?

There is clean and there is cleaned. This is
definitely *clean*

The foundries I have been around sort of looked like what you might
imagine Hell would look like. And they have generally been populated
by work crews......well.....guys you really wouldn't want to mess
with.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:56:51 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

How about a blast from the past, ironwise? The Original 5th Wheel!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo6PmCidhp0

I had never seen that inovation before. Apparently not too sucessful
in the market as it didn't become standard equipment in auto
production. But interesting regardless.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 24, 10:17*pm, wrote:
The foundries I have been around sort of looked like what you might
imagine Hell would look like. And they have generally been populated
by work crews......well.....guys you really wouldn't want to mess
with.
Dave-

When I was very young there were no other kids around and the only
place I was allowed outside the yard was the foundry next door, and
then only if I stayed out of the way which I did. So by age 5 I knew
how to screed and moisten green sand, tamp the cope and drag, add the
sprue and vent, carve changes not on the pattern by hand, melt and
pour aluminum and snag the casting.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Here's a nice little video showing casting, machining, and assembly of
Ferrari auto engines. That casting section of the plant looks to be
the cleanest foundry operation I have ever seen. Anybody else ever
seen such a clean foundry?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e1_1298514486

Dave

This is not a put-up job for the video. Ferrari's casting and machining
operations have been industry standards at least since the 1960s.

Back in the late '80s, one of my clients was Mandelli, the machine tool
company that pioneered advanced machining centers (they used DEC
minicomputers for CNCs). Ferrari was their showcase customer, not just
because of the name recognition but also because Ferrari ran some of the
most advanced flexible machining cells in the world. I watched hours of
video of their operations then, including the foundry, and it was really
impressive. At that point I'd spent over 12 years reporting on metalworking
manufacturing and had visited at least 30 foundries around the US, Germany,
and Japan, including Ford, GM, and Toyota. I never saw anything quite like
the Ferrari operation. The pride of those workers was obvious. Old Enzo
couldn't stand finishing second at anything.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

How about a blast from the past, ironwise? The Original 5th Wheel!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo6PmCidhp0

I had never seen that inovation before. Apparently not too sucessful
in the market as it didn't become standard equipment in auto
production. But interesting regardless.
Dave

I remember seeing this as a do-it-yourself project in, IIRC, Science
and Mechanics in the late '50s
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

So good to see you posting again.Ed!!

Weve a foundry near here, in an old victorian building, they do ali,
bonze, and iron. Mostly for the restoration and steam repair folk.
They keep their ali melts fluid all the time as its cheaper than
letting them cool off and re heat.
They are surviving ,just, because they speciallise in one offs etc.

Re the ferrai video, it shows the crankshafts in the forged? state, Or
were they cast steel?
Liquid nitrogen cooled valve inserts, and one man assembles each engine.

however, any running in? on the dynamometer test bed? to 7500 rpm?
Note very short stroke to bore ratio.
Only down side cam belt not chain, but the cam belt will have a lot
less innertia.
Plastic cam belts are the curse of modern engines.
Ted
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ted Frater" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Hi, Ted. I don't think I ever knew what the cranks were made of, but I'd be
surprised if a Ferrari crankshaft was not forged steel, at least back in the
'80s.

Liquid nitrogen cooled valve inserts, and one man assembles each engine.

however, any running in? on the dynamometer test bed? to 7500 rpm?
Note very short stroke to bore ratio.

I've never touched a Ferrari engine but my mechanic in town was a
factory-trained Ferrari mechanic, and I was allowed to watch him work on the
occassional Ferrari that showed up at his shop. Those engines are like
jewels. One of my best memories of racing was watching (and hearing) Mike
Gamino's Ferrari GTO at Watkins Glen, in...hmmm...it was '63 or '64. I think
the latter.

Only down side cam belt not chain, but the cam belt will have a lot less
innertia.
Plastic cam belts are the curse of modern engines.
Ted

Yeah. Well, there's always a tradeoff. Adjusting the bottom chain of
two-stage cam chain drive on an early Jaguar XK was not a bad job, but it
was a frequent one. That was before they were self-adjusting -- which
helped, but it was not a cure.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:41:18 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Ted Frater" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

All I know is that, that is a weird way to grind a crank. It is
completely unsupported, might as well grind it vertically then. I'd
like to know how they get round instead of egg shaped journals doing
it that way. Maybe the wheel is feed controlled by a computer. On a
conventional grinder with a dial indicator riding on the journal by
three points without outside influence the grinding process actually
gets more out of round.

SW

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My friend in California has a '65 Dino. I got to drive with him from
Fallbrook to San Diego with him in it to put it in the Auto Museum at Balboa
Park. They had about a dozen there, one of them worth $12 mil. They had a
lot of old photos and stuff one would have seen at a real race. It was all
just gaga jaw dropping machinery.

Then, he sez, "How would you like to ride in an Enzo?"

Of course, I sez, "What's an Enzo?"

He smiled and said, "It's a car."

It wasn't.

It was a freaking rocket sled with wheels.

His Maserati GT 3500 is almost restored. I'll try to get some pics next
time down there.

Here's the Dino ......... Comparing the Enzo and the Dino, the Dino is a
sled.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 20:44:51 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

Here's a nice little video showing casting, machining, and assembly of
Ferrari auto engines. That casting section of the plant looks to be
the cleanest foundry operation I have ever seen. Anybody else ever
seen such a clean foundry?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e1_1298514486

technicians from shell make engines for ferrari?

================
Sad story about the FBI and a recovered Ferrari they wrecked
on a joy ride.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...ashing-Ferrari
also earlier article
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/articles/027.shtml

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 21:05:06 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

My friend in California has a '65 Dino. I got to drive with him from
Fallbrook to San Diego with him in it to put it in the Auto Museum at Balboa
Park. They had about a dozen there, one of them worth $12 mil. They had a
lot of old photos and stuff one would have seen at a real race. It was all
just gaga jaw dropping machinery.

Then, he sez, "How would you like to ride in an Enzo?"

Of course, I sez, "What's an Enzo?"

He smiled and said, "It's a car."

It wasn't.

It was a freaking rocket sled with wheels.

His Maserati GT 3500 is almost restored. I'll try to get some pics next
time down there.

Here's the Dino ......... Comparing the Enzo and the Dino, the Dino is a
sled.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Years ago, I looked up an old friend and within the conversation I
asked if he still had his Maserati and he replied that his kids ate
it.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Here's the Dino ......... Comparing the Enzo and the Dino, the Dino is a
sled.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Damn. I would look good driving that car.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:34:23 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Feb 24, 10:17*pm, wrote:
The foundries I have been around sort of looked like what you might
imagine Hell would look like. And they have generally been populated
by work crews......well.....guys you really wouldn't want to mess
with.
Dave-

When I was very young there were no other kids around and the only
place I was allowed outside the yard was the foundry next door, and
then only if I stayed out of the way which I did. So by age 5 I knew
how to screed and moisten green sand, tamp the cope and drag, add the
sprue and vent, carve changes not on the pattern by hand, melt and
pour aluminum and snag the casting.

jsw

And to swear and smoke Lucky Strikes too? Joking, sort of. Most of the
foundry crews I've seen were pretty rough. But that sounds like a
really cool experience for a five year old.

With the destruction of the industrial base, kids now just don't have
those kinds of opportunities for exploration. Worse yet, kids now
don't even seem to ride bicycles and take any initiative for
exploration.

I can't tell you the number of brick factories, rail yards,
construction sites, storm drain pipe systems, BB gun fights, dirt
trails, factory doors, etc. etc. that I used to ride to, for purposes
of curiosity satiation and excitement, when I was a kid. Kids today
seem to stay inside and play video games.

Glad you were out doing cool stuff.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 20:44:51 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

Here's a nice little video showing casting, machining, and assembly of
Ferrari auto engines. That casting section of the plant looks to be
the cleanest foundry operation I have ever seen. Anybody else ever
seen such a clean foundry?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e1_1298514486

technicians from shell make engines for ferrari?

================
Sad story about the FBI and a recovered Ferrari they wrecked
on a joy ride.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...ashing-Ferrari
also earlier article
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/articles/027.shtml

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)

Damn, an F50. I saw a show where they wanted to test one, but could not get
anyone to loan them one. Then the drummer (?) from Pink Floyd said they
could use his IF they let him plug his book, which they did. It was a
fantastic show, and all went without a hitch, no damage. Paddle shifter
that computer synchronized the clutch, gears, and suspension to take every
bit of jerk out of the shift. The guy who drove it would get out, and look
like he was dancing with fire ants all over him just saying how much of a
rush it was to drive. He looked like he needed to change his shorts, not
from brown stuff but from white. He was one happy Englishman.

Not like the time black actor (?) or whoever it was wreck that one he was
driving, hitting a Jersey rail. WTF were they thinking? I hope the guy was
worth it, but he hasn't seemed to be much of an actor(?).

Ah, to sleep, perchance to dream ............ W. Shakespeare I'd look good