Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Found object

Here's a photo of something I found the other day while walking near
the Norfolk Southern rail line in Huntsville (northern Alabama).
Anyone able to ID what it might be, or what it's from?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/5471337467/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-24, ghb624 wrote:
Here's a photo of something I found the other day while walking near
the Norfolk Southern rail line in Huntsville (northern Alabama).
Anyone able to ID what it might be, or what it's from?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/5471337467/

Well -- the E/L markings suggest it is part of some kind of
timing adjustment -- likely ignition in something.

E Early
L Late

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ghb624" wrote in message
Here's a photo of something I found the other day while walking near
the Norfolk Southern rail line in Huntsville (northern Alabama).
Anyone able to ID what it might be, or what it's from?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/5471337467/

Graphite control rod alignment jig?

Did you check it for radioactivity?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-24, wrote:
Here's a photo of something I found the other day while walking near
the Norfolk Southern rail line in Huntsville (northern Alabama).
Anyone able to ID what it might be, or what it's from?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/5471337467/

Well -- the E/L markings suggest it is part of some kind of
timing adjustment -- likely ignition in something.

E Early
L Late

Enjoy,
DoN.

It's general aluminumness really suggested "bicycle" to me more than
"train" -- but it could be some bracket off of a dirt bike motor,
complete with timing marks, couldn't it?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 23, 7:36*pm, ghb624 wrote:
Here's a photo of something I found the other day while walking near
the Norfolk Southern rail line in Huntsville (northern Alabama).
Anyone able to ID what it might be, or what it's from?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/5471337467/

Looks like a wheel or brake adjustment/checking/thickness gauge, but E
and L could stand for Early and Late.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 21:41:01 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"ghb624" wrote in message
Here's a photo of something I found the other day while walking near
the Norfolk Southern rail line in Huntsville (northern Alabama).
Anyone able to ID what it might be, or what it's from?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/5471337467/

Graphite control rod alignment jig?

Did you check it for radioactivity?

Don't know about those, but it looks like it has blood stains all over
it, the last owner was probably glad to get rid of it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"ghb624" wrote in message
Here's a photo of something I found the other day while walking near
the Norfolk Southern rail line in Huntsville (northern Alabama).
Anyone able to ID what it might be, or what it's from?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/5471337467/

Graphite control rod alignment jig?

Did you check it for radioactivity?

Don't know about those, but it looks like it has blood stains all over
it, the last owner was probably glad to get rid of it.

Better not let that one get away. Keep it in your front pocket.

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ghb624" wrote in message
Here's a photo of something I found the other day while walking near
the Norfolk Southern rail line in Huntsville (northern Alabama).
Anyone able to ID what it might be, or what it's from?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/5471337467/

I got no idea what it is, but someone put a lot of work into it to get the
markings in just the right spot, drilled and shaped, and that slider dowel
is curious.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

"ghb624" wrote in message
Here's a photo of something I found the other day while walking near
the Norfolk Southern rail line in Huntsville (northern Alabama).
Anyone able to ID what it might be, or what it's from?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/5471337467/

I got no idea what it is, but someone put a lot of work into it to get the
markings in just the right spot, drilled and shaped, and that slider dowel
is curious.

Steve

The sliding dowel looks like it may have a taper ground on its underside. IF
there was a rod that ran on this taper and it pushed on the arm that hangs
out the left hand side tehn MAYBE it could be used to test a radius / outer
diameter for go/no go acceptance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dennis" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in
message ...

"ghb624" wrote in message
Here's a photo of something I found the other
day while walking near
the Norfolk Southern rail line in Huntsville
(northern Alabama).
Anyone able to ID what it might be, or what
it's from?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/5471337467/

I got no idea what it is, but someone put a lot
of work into it to get the markings in just the
right spot, drilled and shaped, and that slider
dowel is curious.

Steve

The sliding dowel looks like it may have a taper
ground on its underside. IF there was a rod that
ran on this taper and it pushed on the arm that
hangs out the left hand side tehn MAYBE it could
be used to test a radius / outer diameter for
go/no go acceptance.

Could it be used to measure gear backlash? phil

Mystery object bof UK diy 22 September 10th 09 11:13 PM
Mystery object Ignoramus9483 Metalworking 13 July 29th 09 05:29 AM
03/17/07 Reuters: Two bodies found in Mosul: The bodies of two men and two women were found in various districts of Mosul on Friday. Two infants were found alive beside the two dead women, police said. BGKM Woodworking 0 March 17th 07 08:14 PM
What is this object? Andrew Metalworking 11 May 1st 05 01:04 AM