Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

Default Mystery object

Can anyone identify this:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/fbab5289.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/ff6e3c5e.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/2fc08eb9.jpg

it's steel, 19/32" thick, 12_1/8" x 12_1/8" square and the groove
centres are 7/8" from the edge of the plate, and I found it in my loft.

Seems far too carefully made to be just a lump of steel plate.

MTIA

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bof" wrote in message

Can anyone identify this:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/fbab5289.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/ff6e3c5e.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/2fc08eb9.jpg

it's steel, 19/32" thick, 12_1/8" x 12_1/8" square and the groove centres
are 7/8" from the edge of the plate, and I found it in my loft.

Seems far too carefully made to be just a lump of steel plate.

MTIA

Just guessing: some sort of damper plate, the grooves being the result of
it sliding up and down.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 7 Sep, 22:03, bof wrote:
Can anyone identify this:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/fbab5289.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/ff6e3c5e.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/2fc08eb9.jpg
it's steel, 19/32" thick, 12_1/8" x 12_1/8" square and the groove
centres are 7/8" from the edge of the plate, and I found it in my loft.
Seems far too carefully made to be just a lump of steel plate.

Template for cutting roofing slates

It would be terribly heavy for use on a roof. Very dangerous.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , mark
writes

"bof" wrote in message
Just guessing: some sort of damper plate, the grooves being the result of
it sliding up and down.

Looking at it I'd say the grooves are almost certainly machined, not
worn.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 01:33:30 +0100, "Bill Wright"
had this to say:

"Owain" wrote in message
On 7 Sep, 22:03, bof wrote:
Can anyone identify this:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/fbab5289.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/ff6e3c5e.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/2fc08eb9.jpg
it's steel, 19/32" thick, 12_1/8" x 12_1/8" square and the groove
centres are 7/8" from the edge of the plate, and I found it in my loft.
Seems far too carefully made to be just a lump of steel plate.

Template for cutting roofing slates

It would be terribly heavy for use on a roof. Very dangerous.

Cut them at ground level then.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 7, 10:03*pm, bof wrote:
Can anyone identify this:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/fbab5289.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/ff6e3c5e.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/2fc08eb9.jpg

it's steel, 19/32" thick, 12_1/8" x 12_1/8" square and the groove
centres are 7/8" from the edge of the plate, and I found it in my loft.

Seems far too carefully made to be just a lump of steel plate.

Jeweller's bench block?

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-795
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , Frank Erskine
writes

"Owain" wrote in message
On 7 Sep, 22:03, bof wrote:
Can anyone identify this:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/fbab5289.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/ff6e3c5e.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/2fc08eb9.jpg
it's steel, 19/32" thick, 12_1/8" x 12_1/8" square and the groove
centres are 7/8" from the edge of the plate, and I found it in my loft.
Seems far too carefully made to be just a lump of steel plate.

Template for cutting roofing slates

It would be terribly heavy for use on a roof. Very dangerous.

Cut them at ground level then.

I do have a slate roof, but the slates are oblong rather than square,
seems something of an over kill for a slate template, it weighs 25lbs.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message
, Leo
writes
On Sep 7, 10:03*pm, bof wrote:
Can anyone identify this:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/fbab5289.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/ff6e3c5e.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/2fc08eb9.jpg

it's steel, 19/32" thick, 12_1/8" x 12_1/8" square and the groove
centres are 7/8" from the edge of the plate, and I found it in my loft.

Seems far too carefully made to be just a lump of steel plate.

Jeweller's bench block?

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...cm-X-10cm-prco
de-999-795

My feeling is it's a reference plate for something, as I mentioned in
the OP the centre ridge of the double groove is exactly 7/8" in and the
centre of the single groove is exactly 7/8" in.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bof writes:

Can anyone identify this:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/fbab5289.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/ff6e3c5e.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/2fc08eb9.jpg

it's steel, 19/32" thick, 12_1/8" x 12_1/8" square and the
groove centres are 7/8" from the edge of the plate, and I
found it in my loft.

I don't know, but I think it would be pretty good for making crêpes on.

Is it featureless on the other side?

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suicial Frissbie?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , Jon Fairbairn
writes
bof writes:

Can anyone identify this:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/fbab5289.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/ff6e3c5e.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/2fc08eb9.jpg

it's steel, 19/32" thick, 12_1/8" x 12_1/8" square and the
groove centres are 7/8" from the edge of the plate, and I
found it in my loft.

I don't know, but I think it would be pretty good for making crêpes on.

Is it featureless on the other side?

yep

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message
,
Owain writes
On 8 Sep, 10:56, bof wrote:
I don't know, but I think it would be pretty good for making crêpes on.
Is it featureless on the other side?

yep

Right, so it's for French roofers to cut slates at ground level, and
make their lunch on.

So what was it doing in my loft then?

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep, 11:37, bof wrote:

So what was it doing in my loft then?

It may be a surface plate, if the other side shows signs of maching
or lapping to make it very flat. If it is, it would probably have some
value, which is the only reason I can think of for someone keeping it.
It doesn't show any sign of rust, so it is more likely cast iron.

Otherwise it fairly worthless scrap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember bof
saying something like:

Can anyone identify this:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/fbab5289.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/ff6e3c5e.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/2fc08eb9.jpg

it's steel, 19/32" thick, 12_1/8" x 12_1/8" square and the groove
centres are 7/8" from the edge of the plate, and I found it in my loft.

Seems far too carefully made to be just a lump of steel plate.

MTIA

I think it's an inking plate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , bof
writes
In message
,
Leo writes
On Sep 7, 10:03*pm, bof wrote:
Can anyone identify this:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/fbab5289.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/ff6e3c5e.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/2fc08eb9.jpg

it's steel, 19/32" thick, 12_1/8" x 12_1/8" square and the groove
centres are 7/8" from the edge of the plate, and I found it in my loft.

Seems far too carefully made to be just a lump of steel plate.

Jeweller's bench block?

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...cm-X-10cm-prco
de-999-795

My feeling is it's a reference plate for something, as I mentioned in
the OP the centre ridge of the double groove is exactly 7/8" in and the
centre of the single groove is exactly 7/8" in.

Left by an ancient astronaut

they had trouble picking up channel 5 too ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , geoff
writes
In message , bof
writes
In message
,
Leo writes
On Sep 7, 10:03*pm, bof wrote:
Can anyone identify this:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/fbab5289.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/ff6e3c5e.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/2fc08eb9.jpg

it's steel, 19/32" thick, 12_1/8" x 12_1/8" square and the groove
centres are 7/8" from the edge of the plate, and I found it in my loft.

Seems far too carefully made to be just a lump of steel plate.

Jeweller's bench block?

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...cm-X-10cm-prco
de-999-795

My feeling is it's a reference plate for something, as I mentioned in
the OP the centre ridge of the double groove is exactly 7/8" in and
the centre of the single groove is exactly 7/8" in.

Left by an ancient astronaut

Blimey, so they use imperial measurements too.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , bof
writes
In message , geoff
writes
In message , bof
writes
In message
,
Leo writes
On Sep 7, 10:03*pm, bof wrote:
Can anyone identify this:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/fbab5289.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/ff6e3c5e.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/bofphoto/2fc08eb9.jpg

it's steel, 19/32" thick, 12_1/8" x 12_1/8" square and the groove
centres are 7/8" from the edge of the plate, and I found it in my loft.

Seems far too carefully made to be just a lump of steel plate.

Jeweller's bench block?

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...cm-X-10cm-prco
de-999-795

My feeling is it's a reference plate for something, as I mentioned in
the OP the centre ridge of the double groove is exactly 7/8" in and
the centre of the single groove is exactly 7/8" in.

Left by an ancient astronaut

Blimey, so they use imperial measurements too.

What else ? ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep, 11:37, bof wrote:
In message
,
Owain writes

On 8 Sep, 10:56, bof *wrote:
I don't know, but I think it would be pretty good for making crêpes on.
Is it featureless on the other side?
yep

Right, so it's for French roofers to cut slates at ground level, and
make their lunch on.

So what was it doing in my loft then?

It's where you put things you don't want to throw out but have no
immediate use for.

Mary

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:06:27 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

So what was it doing in my loft then?

It's where you put things you don't want to throw out but have no
immediate use for.

I thought that's what a garage was for...

And when the garage is full?

Got admit if I found a lump of steel like that it wouldn't be thrown
away. All manner of uses, weight for pressing flowers, load spreader
under a jack, cover for a broken gully...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:06:27 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

So what was it doing in my loft then?
It's where you put things you don't want to throw out but have no
immediate use for.

I thought that's what a garage was for...

And when the garage is full?

Got admit if I found a lump of steel like that it wouldn't be thrown
away. All manner of uses, weight for pressing flowers, load spreader
under a jack, cover for a broken gully...

Or a girdle/griddle for pancakes and scones.