Andrew

Default What is this object?

Hi,

I think this newsgroup is probably the best place to try and work out
what this is.

It was found on landfill in the UK, there were lots of them, and they
look familiar, but I can't place where.

http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725316
http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725328
http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725352

Thanks,

Andrew
jim rozen

In article , Andrew says...

Hi,

I think this newsgroup is probably the best place to try and work out
what this is.

It was found on landfill in the UK, there were lots of them, and they
look familiar, but I can't place where.

http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725316
http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725328
http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725352

Can you scratch the tip (the part with the darker color,
unrusted) with a file?

Jim

please reply to:
ff

Andrew wrote:

Hi,

I think this newsgroup is probably the best place to try and work out
what this is.

It was found on landfill in the UK, there were lots of them, and they
look familiar, but I can't place where.

http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725316
http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725328
http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725352

Thanks,

Andrew

Not sure but I'd guess it is part of some heavy construction machinery.
Probably a replaceable point from some excavating attachment.

Fred
Jim & Hils

"ff" wrote in message
news
Andrew wrote:

Hi,

I think this newsgroup is probably the best place to try and work out
what this is.

It was found on landfill in the UK, there were lots of them, and they
look familiar, but I can't place where.

http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725316
http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725328
http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725352

Thanks,

Andrew

Not sure but I'd guess it is part of some heavy construction machinery.
Probably a replaceable point from some excavating attachment.

Fred

Yes, Fred is right. Take a look at this website:
http://www.highwaysmaintenance.com/cycinsit.htm they are clearly shown on
the drum.in the 2nd photo from the top.
Jim

Dave Hinz

On 29 Apr 2005 13:08:51 -0700, Andrew wrote:
Hi,

I think this newsgroup is probably the best place to try and work out
what this is.

It was found on landfill in the UK, there were lots of them, and they
look familiar, but I can't place where.

http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725316
http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725328
http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725352

The tip seems to be a different type of metal than the body. The
base/shaft seems to have a locking collar to hold it into something.
I'd guess some sort of a drilling tool for stone or mining of some
sort - is it that kind of an area? I bet if you spark-test that
tip you'd find it's something interesting?
Bruce L. Bergman

On 29 Apr 2005 13:08:51 -0700, (Andrew) wrote:

I think this newsgroup is probably the best place to try and work out
what this is.

It was found on landfill in the UK, there were lots of them, and they
look familiar, but I can't place where.

http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725316
http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725328
http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725352

Carbide cutting tip for an asphalt-concrete pavement grinder or
'profiler'. They use them to grind the old road flat and undercut the
edges at the curbs before laying a fresh layer of asphalt on top.

Or a 'rock wheel' trencher, looks like a huge circular saw to buzz a
trench in sandstone or shale for water mains and other utility lines.
WARNING: You have to know where all the other underground utilities
are when using this machine, because if you find them with the wheel
the results will not be pretty...

(Not me, but a true DAMHIKT. Pacific Bell told the trencher
operator not to worry - their trunk lines were in old clay ducts 8'
down, and the cross-cut trench was set at 5' to leave plenty of room.
They were really at 4' down, and the trencher neatly sawed through a
half dozen 3600-pair cables... Let the finger-pointing commence.)

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:45:08 GMT, ff wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Hi,

I think this newsgroup is probably the best place to try and work out
what this is.

It was found on landfill in the UK, there were lots of them, and they
look familiar, but I can't place where.

http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725316
http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725328
http://www.pbase.com/cybergibbons/image/42725352

Thanks,

Andrew

Not sure but I'd guess it is part of some heavy construction machinery.
Probably a replaceable point from some excavating attachment.

Fred

Look like the teeth for a a pavement chewer.Roto-Mill is another name
for it.
Jerry Foster

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
[...]

Something like that happened to an old neighbor...

Maynard's farm had two driveways about 200 ft. apart. He needed to replace
the culverts under them. Knowing the phone trunk line was buried in that
ditch, he called the phone company to locate and mark the cables. Then,
they took a backhoe to the first driveway. And dug through the cable. And
shut off long distance service to two counties. Two days later, they had
the cable spliced. Maynard, of course, insisted they double check their
marking of the other driveway. They insisted it was correct. And, yup, the
backhoe cut through the cable again about eight feet from where the phone
company said it was...

Jerry

Andrew Tierney

Yep... I tried filing it, which did virtually nothing, then gave it a
go on the bench grinder... very few sparks, and very short. I guess
this is a sure sign of it being tungsten carbide. A fairly hefty bit of
it as well.

Thanks for the quick responses, my mind is at rest now. I'm sure there
are a few more weird objects I can dig out...

Andrew