Not so quick

Default How to secure object to block wall... ?

I'm trying to attach some wood structures to a block wall. They will have
about 50 lbs.
of weight. The blue plastic inserts pull out. The holes are 1/4". Any ideas?
I want to
avoid drilling larger holes but it's not out of the question.

Thanks
: -)

Joe Bobst

I'm trying to attach some wood structures to a block wall. They will have
about 50 lbs. of weight.

Here's what I did to mount a big electric service panel a while back:
Drilled 1/2 " holes at the mounting screw locations. Used 1/2" maple dowels and
epoxied them into the holes, and drilled pilot holes for the screws in the
dowels. Inspector checked the set up, broke off a fingernail on some epoxy
dribbles on the block, laughed and said something like, "That ought to last a
while" and we hung the unit and screwed it down tight.
Something like that might work for you. Tapcons are good but they have a
tendency to crack softer concrete such as blocks.

HTH

Joe
Grim

"Not so quick" wrote in message
I'm trying to attach some wood structures to a block wall. They will have
about 50 lbs.
of weight. The blue plastic inserts pull out. The holes are 1/4". Any

ideas?
I want to
avoid drilling larger holes but it's not out of the question.

Thanks
: -)

You can use "Tapcons" in mortar joints or solid sections of blocks. They cut
their own threads. - http://tinyurl.com/294p8
Or you can use hollow wall anchors called "Toggle Bolts " that have a spring
loaded wing that pops open when you push it thru a hole -
http://tinyurl.com/2z8lv
Or you can even use "Hollow Wall Anchors" that form a metal mushroom in the
hollow wall when you tighten them - http://tinyurl.com/25gdc

Grim

---
Aint No Stinkin Viruses Here!

I-zheet M'drurz

My .02 worth:

On 05 Jan 2004, Grim wrote:

I've had great results with these (without looking at the
link, I tink we're talking about the same thing, I usually
hear them called "lead anchors")...

...Or you can even use "Hollow Wall
Anchors" that form a metal mushroom in the hollow wall when
you tighten them - http://tinyurl.com/25gdc

*or* the dowel rod method that somebody mentioned in another
reply. They kept them in place with epoxy, my method is to
undersize the hole just a bit, grind or sand a small taper on
one end of the dowel plug and then drive it into the hole
with a hammer. In either method, it will stay in place and
you drill the dowel with a pilot hole for a bigass bolt.

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line

HA HA Budys Here

2 words. Unistrut.
DanG

Go he
http://www.powers.com/aust/chemical.html

This is not meant as an advertisement. There are alternate
brands, I just happen to know these.

Look at mechanical fasteners, tapper/ Zamac nailin/ strap toggle/
pop toggle

The very best would be epoxy anchors. Look at chemical anchors.
To use in hollow block, you would need screen tubes and all
thread.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Not so quick" wrote in message
I'm trying to attach some wood structures to a block wall. They

will have
about 50 lbs.
of weight. The blue plastic inserts pull out. The holes are

1/4". Any ideas?
I want to
avoid drilling larger holes but it's not out of the question.

Thanks
: -)

Not so quick

"Grim" wrote in message

[...]

The Tapcons work. It takes two and I had to get an impact drill because
the holes are so much better when I'm not pushing and struggling to make
the hole. The toggle bolts wouldn't work because the top row of block
is filled with concrete. The hollow wall anchors just pulled out too easily
but would have been he easiest. I also tried 'liquid nails' which held for
a while and actually worked on one wall but not the others. Go figure.
It must have been the amount or that one wall had absorbed some moisture.
Anyway, thanks to all for the help. I'm really glad to get this thing
working
finally. It's been an 18 month project starting with bent wire mesh and then
I cut block and filled it with mortar to make a kind of pyramid, then
fishing
line, then whiteboard... : -)