Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default computer terminology question

We went with a different ISP after our previous (current, but not yet
disconnected) one had problems with rain, snow, bird crapping on the
antenna, etc.

We get this new modem FedEx, and I hook it up. I try to get Usenet. No go.
I go into accounts and try to get lucky by entering their company name in
place of previous company. No go.

I get on the phone and wait and wait and wait. Finally a young lady with a
thick accent comes on the line, and after an hour, tells me that my modem is
working fine, will there be anything else.

Yes, what damn news feed do they use in my area, and how do I hook up to it,
my original question.

Doesn't know about Usenet. Never heard of it. Is she working in an igloo
or yurt somewhere?

So, anyway, the office is not open until Monday, so I have to wait till
then.

I am currently on hold now with the company that my ISP used to pipe in
newsgroups, and they may be so kind as to help me put the two wires
together.

Or not.

I think I should tell the master company involved when I talk to them on
Monday that I know where they can find a lot of people in THIS country who
are looking for work, and speak English well enough to understand over the
phone.

Just exactly what is Usenet and newsgroups called? Is it a news feed? Is
it RSS? The foreign accented lady said they do not provide newsgroups, but
I knew that. They just might provide the link to one, but I could not make
her understand that. If and when I do get a human earthling on the phone
Monday, what is the proper terminology of that I should be asking for?

Rant off.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 19, 5:06*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
We went with a different ISP after our previous (current, but not yet
disconnected) one had problems with rain, snow, bird crapping on the
antenna, etc.

We get this new modem FedEx, and I hook it up. *I try to get Usenet. *No go.
Steve

Despite all the kvetching Google Groups works fine, just sign up for
free Gmail. You could at least have it for as backup. Right now
there's not much spam in the groups I read.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

[...]

Most ISPs no longer provide a USENET News server. You'll likely need to
get an account with an independent usenet provider for a small cost.
There are many to choose from, even a free one or two for text only
groups.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." writes:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

I've been using eternal-september.org ever since comcast stopped
carrying it.
--
This sig block for rent
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:53:06 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

aioe.org is a fairly good free one, text only. I use it as my backup
server.

I also use octanews.com
Its $8 for a 4 gig block. As I don't do images, etc. this block has
lasted me two years, so far.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/19/2011 5:06 PM, Steve B wrote:

We get this new modem FedEx, and I hook it up. I try to get Usenet. No go.
I go into accounts and try to get lucky by entering their company name in
place of previous company. No go.
……
Rant off.

Steve

If you have internet and email service
Register at
http://www.eternal-september.org/
or,
one of the other free news servers.
Plug their information into your news reader account settings info.
You will not have to worry, if, your carrier has a news server service.

I went with eternal-september.org when Verizon announced they were no
longer going to provide usenet access. I have not had a problem since
that time. It is far better service than the old Verizon provided access.
Changeover was a couple of changes on the newsreader account settings
detailed in the registration autoreply email.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-20, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
"Pete C." writes:

Steve B wrote:

We went with a different ISP after our previous (current, but not yet
disconnected) one had problems with rain, snow, bird crapping on the
antenna, etc.

We get this new modem FedEx, and I hook it up. I try to get Usenet. No go.
I go into accounts and try to get lucky by entering their company name in
place of previous company. No go.

[ ... ]

Just exactly what is Usenet and newsgroups called? Is it a news feed? Is
it RSS? The foreign accented lady said they do not provide newsgroups, but
I knew that. They just might provide the link to one, but I could not make
her understand that. If and when I do get a human earthling on the phone
Monday, what is the proper terminology of that I should be asking for?

"Usenet News" -- and "connection to a news server".

You only need a "newsfeed" if you are setting up a server of
your own -- and those are harder to find these days. (*And* -- they
take massive resources, since perhaps ten years ago, the bandwidth
needed to acccept a full feed would swamp two T1 connections, and
require gigabytes of storage per day.

RSS is totally unrelated. The protocol in question is NNTP (Net
News Transfer Protocol).

As long as you have connection to the internet, you have
multiple sources to choose from -- no matter *who* your ISP is. If they
don't provide a news server -- go outside.

[ ... ]

Most ISPs no longer provide a USENET News server. You'll likely need to
get an account with an independent usenet provider for a small cost.
There are many to choose from, even a free one or two for text only
groups.

I've been using eternal-september.org ever since comcast stopped
carrying it.

And I've been using Newsguy for quite a while, and am quite
happy with them:

http://www.newsguy.com/

Yes, you have to pay for an account. If you don't intend to use the
binaries newsgroups (simple description -- "gigabytes of copyright
violations"), you certainly don't need their $14.95/Month unlimited
express account. something like the "Basic" account (15 GB/Month) is
probably enough. I have an older account, based on $9.95/Month or
$99.95 per year, and I keep accumulating more and more download
bandwidth. (Your unused capacity carries over month to month, and I now
have something like 2.5 TB of unused capacity -- and they keep giving me
bonus download capacity as well. :-)

You can connect to them using either a web browser (via HTTP),
or a newsreader (via NNTP). They offer free for download (for Windows
only) a newsreader called DRN (IIRC) which I have heard good reports
about. Since I run unix systems, I can't use that, but I have a choice
of many good newsreaders. IIRC, I experimented a little with the
web-based access some time ago, and it was a lot better than what Google
offered -- but I still prefer my unix stand-alone newsreading programs.

Oh yes -- they also have their own private set of newsgroups,
some for announcements, and others with customers and staff mixing in in
a chatty way. They are also very good about fixing problems quickly,
including improvements requested to their DRN newsreader.

Enjoy,
DoN.

PS The name eternal-september.org comes from the fact that there
used to be a flood of clueless newbies every september as the
new college class came in and got online for the first time.
About the time that AOL started offering Usenet access, the
flood of newbies has been never-ending, resulting in straining of
the netequitte protocols (e.g the "no top posting" eternal
debate. :-)

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

I use teranews , free after a $3.95 setup fee . Binaries , text , and a 50
Mb/day limit - which I've hit maybe three times in the last three years .
Works for me .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote:

We went with a different ISP after our previous (current, but
not yet disconnected) one had problems with rain, snow, bird
crapping on the antenna, etc.

We get this new modem FedEx, and I hook it up. I try to get
Usenet. No go.

Getting to the point... Subscribe to AstraWeb (news.astraweb.com) or
some other premium news server.

FWIW, about UseNet in general.
What was there before UseNet but of course on a lesser scale?
Conference calling? Seems to me that UseNet is the only
unmoderated global alternative to the one-way media. I have a
feeling that ISPs dropping UseNet is more than just a financial
concern. I fear that someday The Powers That Be will take it away
from us. Maybe that is paranoid, but some fascist leaders have
chastised UseNet, and Google is destroying access to the UseNet
archive.

Good luck and have fun.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

We get this new modem FedEx, and I hook it up. I try to get Usenet. No
go. I go into accounts and try to get lucky by entering their company name
in place of previous company. No go.

Somebody probably already told you, but there are more and more ISPs that
don't offer Usenet access anymore. Try one of these if their internet
access is good, but they don't offer it.

Tera News - ($10 for life)
Eternal-September - (Free and pretty reliable)
AIOE - (Free, reads good, but posts sometimes fail)

I use all three. One of them always works. LOL. If you read binary groups
I think only TeraNews carries those, and there is a download limit. I hear
Supernews is good too, but they have a monthly fee. For read only access
there used to be hundreds of free servers out there. I have not checked in
a while. Also some websites and web forums have web portals for certain
groups.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 10:42:23 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

We get this new modem FedEx, and I hook it up. I try to get Usenet. No
go. I go into accounts and try to get lucky by entering their company name
in place of previous company. No go.

Somebody probably already told you, but there are more and more ISPs that
don't offer Usenet access anymore. Try one of these if their internet
access is good, but they don't offer it.

Tera News - ($10 for life)

Wow, it was only $3.95 for life when I signed up. I switched to APN
after a couple months of iffy connections and slow servers. It's $2.95
a month and quite stable/fast.

On Modernism...
Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: Two. One to hold the giraffe and the other to fill the bathtub with
brightly colored machine tools.

--
The more passions and desires one has,
the more ways one has of being happy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

We get this new modem FedEx, and I hook it up. I try to get Usenet. No
go. I go into accounts and try to get lucky by entering their company
name
in place of previous company. No go.

Somebody probably already told you, but there are more and more ISPs that
don't offer Usenet access anymore. Try one of these if their internet
access is good, but they don't offer it.

Tera News - ($10 for life)

Wow, it was only $3.95 for life when I signed up. I switched to APN
after a couple months of iffy connections and slow servers. It's $2.95
a month and quite stable/fast.

Maybe that all it is then. Its been years since I got my account. I have
not checked in a long time. Yeah it sometimes spotty, but I keep it as a
backup.

On Modernism...
Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: Two. One to hold the giraffe and the other to fill the bathtub with
brightly colored machine tools.

--
The more passions and desires one has,
the more ways one has of being happy.
-- Charlotte-Catherine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I switched to Forte APN a few years ago after Larry suggested it.
It's relatively trouble-free and only $2.95/mo (automatically paid from my
checking/debit account, no having to remember to pay after logging in like
some other services require).

--
WB

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Tera News - ($10 for life)

Wow, it was only $3.95 for life when I signed up. I switched to APN
after a couple months of iffy connections and slow servers. It's $2.95
a month and quite stable/fast.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

We get this new modem FedEx, and I hook it up. I try to get Usenet. No
go. I go into accounts and try to get lucky by entering their company name
in place of previous company. No go.

Somebody probably already told you, but there are more and more ISPs that
don't offer Usenet access anymore. Try one of these if their internet
access is good, but they don't offer it.

Tera News - ($10 for life)
Eternal-September - (Free and pretty reliable)
AIOE - (Free, reads good, but posts sometimes fail)

I use all three. One of them always works. LOL. If you read binary groups
I think only TeraNews carries those, and there is a download limit. I hear
Supernews is good too, but they have a monthly fee.

I have GigaNews, it does have a fee (and download limit that varies with
the fee), and it does have all the binary groups.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
eb.com...
Jim Wilkins kb1dal gmail.com wrote:

"Steve B" pittmanpir... hotmail.com wrote:

We went with a different ISP after our previous (current, but
not yet disconnected) one had problems with rain, snow, bird
crapping on the antenna, etc.

We get this new modem FedEx, and I hook it up. ÿI try to get
Usenet. ÿNo go. .... Steve

Despite all the kvetching Google Groups works fine, just sign up
for free Gmail.

Besides dumping tons of spam onto UseNet every day, Google is
destroying access to the public UseNet archive (an invaluable
repository of human experience and knowledge). Google Groups
should be shunned and is shunned by many of us, for very good
reason.
--

You forgot to mention it's a conspiracy with George Bush at its core. Back
in the round file with you.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
"Pete C." writes:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

Me too, and I send them a small contribution a couple of time a year.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jeff_wisnia wrote:
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

I've been using eternal-september.org ever since comcast stopped
carrying it.

Me too, and I send them a small contribution a couple of time a year.

I guess I'm a parasite - I've also been using e-s.org since I was told
about it, but I've always wondered who's paying for it.

Cheers!
Rich