Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cling Wrap

Sometimes you have to put in a screw in a place that you just can't get your
hand in there and if you drop the screw you are totally hosed. I was
repairing a broken wire in my boat yesterday and ran into one of those. Of
course it's a stainless steel screw so a mag tip wouldn't work.

I couldn't find any of the screw holder screwdrivers I used to have, and it
was late enough I wasn't confident in finding one at any stores that would
still be open. I considered making one, but thought maybe somebody else
would have a better solution. I did a search for DIY screw holding
screwdriver or something like that and found a good tip that worked
perfectly.

Poke the screw through some cling wrap.
Place the screw on the screw driver.
Wrap the cling wrap around the screw driver to hold the screw firmly against
the tip.
Start the screw a couple threads.
Pull back the cling wrap and screwdriver to tear the screw through.
Remove the cling wrap.
Tighten the screw the rest of the way.

Its simple, elegant, works very well, and I wish had thought of it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 11, 1:37*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
[...]

Holy crap, that's great!

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Bob La Londe" wrote:
[...]

Bob, that's definitely a keeper. THANK YOU for posting the tip. I can think of
half a dozen situations, just in the last six months, where I could have used
that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

Very nice! Great tip.
Waaay back when I was a TV repair tech in mid last century we used
to dig a small piece of the waxy stuff off the flyback xformer and used it
to stick the screw to the driver. It worked great but I haven't seen that
waxy stuff in decades.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 11, 1:37*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

Excellent. Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Great idea Bob, that's gonna come in very handy.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thank you! Not only is that about as simple and elegant as it gets, it
could be applied to probably any fastener, including hex head bolts with
sockets. Going to add a roll to the aluminum foil I keep in the shop.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:28:57 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

[...]

Hey Bob,

Good one !!

I don't usually have any Saran Wrap or other handy cling-paper at the
job-site or in the shop, but I always have black electricians tape.
Works exactly the same method you describe, and on a box-end wrench to
hold a nut.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps....wuzzat about a boat????
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

ps....wuzzat about a boat????- Hide quoted text -

Masking tape, freezer tape and regular scotch tape all work. Some are
easier than others to remove after the screw is started. Just depends
on what you have on hand. And you can wrap a nut in newspaper and use
that to hold it in a socket while running it on a stud or bolt in a
hole. That's if you don't have any proper-sized rare-earth magnets to
do the same.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

NOW you tell me!

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Artemus wrote:
Waaay back when I was a TV repair tech in mid last century we used
to dig a small piece of the waxy stuff off the flyback xformer and used it
to stick the screw to the driver. It worked great but I haven't seen that
waxy stuff in decades.
Art

What about the "dipey" stuff used to protect a re-sharpened
mill cutter? might it work?
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Much better and more sanitary than the boogers I've been using for decades.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 23:01:44 -0500, "Tom Gardner" hd@hd wrote:

[...]

Damn, I was afraid to volunteer my solution.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-12, Lewis Hartswick wrote:
Artemus wrote:
Waaay back when I was a TV repair tech in mid last century we used
to dig a small piece of the waxy stuff off the flyback xformer and used it
to stick the screw to the driver. It worked great but I haven't seen that
waxy stuff in decades.
Art

What about the "dipey" stuff used to protect a re-sharpened
mill cutter? might it work?

Or -- just do what I do -- save the wax from Gouda cheese, and
when you get enough, melt it and pour into some disposable container for
future use -- for tool dipping and whatever.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

Well, you've never had to worry about running out have you? ;-)

Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-02-12, Lewis wrote:
Artemus wrote:
Waaay back when I was a TV repair tech in mid last century we used
to dig a small piece of the waxy stuff off the flyback xformer and used it
to stick the screw to the driver. It worked great but I haven't seen that
waxy stuff in decades.
Art

What about the "dipey" stuff used to protect a re-sharpened
mill cutter? might it work?

Or -- just do what I do -- save the wax from Gouda cheese, and
when you get enough, melt it and pour into some disposable container for
future use -- for tool dipping and whatever.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Drill a hole in the back end of the screwdriver and fill it with the
wax. Not my idea but I remember it from an old Popular
Science/Mechanics magazine many years ago.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

Can you fart at will? (maybe you're the wrong guy to ask)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 13 Feb 2011 02:56:49 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2011-02-12, Lewis Hartswick wrote:
Artemus wrote:
Waaay back when I was a TV repair tech in mid last century we used
to dig a small piece of the waxy stuff off the flyback xformer and used it
to stick the screw to the driver. It worked great but I haven't seen that
waxy stuff in decades.
Art

What about the "dipey" stuff used to protect a re-sharpened
mill cutter? might it work?

Or -- just do what I do -- save the wax from Gouda cheese, and
when you get enough, melt it and pour into some disposable container for
future use -- for tool dipping and whatever.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I wondered why I saved that.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

With the medication I'm on? NO.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

Unless of course you're in Church!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Bob La Londewrote:

[...]

Not even then.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Tom Gardner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Bob La Londewrote:

[...]

How about snoring in Church? Last Christmas a lady in a wheelchair in the handicap
section with her head back and mouth open was about to receive communion from a young
Eucharistic minister and just as he was about to place the Host on her tongue she let
out a good snore. The look on his face was priceless and the three rows behind
couldn't contain their laughter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:

Much better and more sanitary than the boogers I've been using for
decades.

Well, you've never had to worry about running out have you? ;-)

Can you fart at will? (maybe you're the wrong guy to ask)

With the medication I'm on? NO.

Unless of course you're in Church!

Not even then.

Does this mean that you never know when you're going to fart, or that
you simply have no control and fart spontaneously? I sometimes fart
spontaneously just as I'm climbing out of bed. I think it has something
to do with fiber.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:29:10 -0500, "Tom Gardner" hd@hd wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Well, you've never had to worry about running out have you? ;-)

Can you fart at will? (maybe you're the wrong guy to ask)

With the medication I'm on? NO.

Unless of course you're in Church!

Most folks wouldn't think that of someone taking

SUPER SPHINCTER SEAL(tm) EPOXY MIX

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Bob La Londewrote:

[...]

If I'm that tired I either stay home, or sit in the lobby.

Teflon coated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:29:10 -0500, "Tom Gardner" hd@hd wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Well, you've never had to worry about running out have you? ;-)

Can you fart at will? (maybe you're the wrong guy to ask)

With the medication I'm on? NO.

Unless of course you're in Church!

Most folks wouldn't think that of someone taking

SUPER SPHINCTER SEAL(tm) EPOXY MIX

That would be fatal, with the side effects of the Diabetes medicine.
'My cause mild diarrhea' my sore ass!

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:29:10 -0500, "Tom Gardner" hd@hd wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Well, you've never had to worry about running out have you? ;-)

Can you fart at will? (maybe you're the wrong guy to ask)

With the medication I'm on? NO.

Unless of course you're in Church!

Most folks wouldn't think that of someone taking

SUPER SPHINCTER SEAL(tm) EPOXY MIX

That would be fatal, with the side effects of the Diabetes medicine.
'My cause mild diarrhea' my sore ass!

Here ya go:
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp215947/d...ite_medium.htm

Hope This Helps!