Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Ice fishing questions

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 11:50:27 -0600, Ignoramus32184
wrote:

I am in Northern Illinois. We have a small lake nearby.

I would estimate that, after extended cold weather, the ice is at
least 15 inches thick.

I have never done ice fishing and I have questions that are pretty
basic.

1) I assume that with a snow shovel and a 6 foot long straight steel
prybar, it should not be a problem to clear a foot of snow and to
break through that ice.

2) When I was a kid, I walked past a recently abandoned ice fishing
hole in Russia. I was shocked to see a giant quantity of fish crowding
the hole, as if they were starved of air and needed desperately to get
a fresh breath of air. Is that due to oxygen deprivation on an ice
covered lake, or was the hole chummed?

Is there some way to get the same effect? The lake was frozen at least
for 5-6 weeks, IIRC.

I've only been ice fishing twice and you want to use auger. You'll be
there all day and down right pooped with a pry bar, plus probably
loose the bar. I'm not sure, but for a 12 pack I bet there will be
someone there that has an auger. As for fish, well I've never seen
people catching fish. Always thought it was about getting away from
the wife.

I've got a question for you. I was crusing around that big deep lake
in russia with google earth and was really surprised at the bright
blue ice, happen to know why it is blue? It's real easy to find, just
click on five pictures at the lake and one will show the ice.

I don't mean to pry, but what is your story? I would think someone
from there would be an expert at snow and ice. Kind of like the
people I have talked to in scandinavia that say they plow the roads
with tanks.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 4, 2:19*pm, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:
I've got a question for you. I was crusing around that big deep lake
in russia with google earth and was really surprised at the bright
blue ice, happen to know why it is blue? *It's real easy to find, just
click on five pictures at the lake and one will show the ice.

SW-The current issue of Russian Life magazine has an article on Lake Baikal, unfortunately not available on line. In the photos the ice is as smooth and clear as glass, over black water. Perhaps Google caught a reflection of the sky.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My own thinking is that the ice reflects the sky. For some reason the
sky is bluer in Russia, or maybe I was younger.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 4, 6:54*pm, Ignoramus32184 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
32184.invalid wrote:
My own thinking is that the ice reflects the sky. For some reason the
sky is bluer in Russia, or maybe I was younger.

i-

It seems a deeper blue here in NH when we get a cold blast from
Canada, like this morning. Less dust in winter?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

32184.invalid wrote:
My own thinking is that the ice reflects the sky. For some reason the
sky is bluer in Russia, or maybe I was younger.

i-

It seems a deeper blue here in NH when we get a cold blast from
Canada, like this morning. Less dust in winter?

jsw

I think so too. Less dust in the air.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

32184.invalid wrote:
My own thinking is that the ice reflects the sky. For some reason the
sky is bluer in Russia, or maybe I was younger.

i-

It seems a deeper blue here in NH when we get a cold blast from
Canada, like this morning. Less dust in winter?

jsw

I think so too. Less dust in the air.

There are many like this, it must look like this in person. Unless
some innovative russian is selling filters that fit all cameras for a
quarter.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...um/1841354.jpg

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 5, 8:09*am, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:
On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 19:04:13 -0600, Ignoramus32184

My galvanized shed roof is blue in a satellite photo.
jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 06:51:53 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Feb 5, 8:09*am, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:
On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 19:04:13 -0600, Ignoramus32184

My galvanized shed roof is blue in a satellite photo.
jsw

Did you look at the photo? I don't see a correlation between satellite
images and a number of photos from different people on the same lake.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Feb 5, 8:09*am, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:
On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 19:04:13 -0600, Ignoramus32184

My galvanized shed roof is blue in a satellite photo.
jsw

Did you look at the photo? I don't see a correlation between satellite
images and a number of photos from different people on the same lake.

SW

The ocean isn't so blue when you look down at your fishing line.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've only been ice fishing twice and you want to use auger. You'll be
there all day and down right pooped with a pry bar, plus probably
loose the bar. I'm not sure, but for a 12 pack I bet there will be
someone there that has an auger. As for fish, well I've never seen
people catching fish. Always thought it was about getting away from
the wife.

If it is a popular fishing lake, there will be holes from other fishermen
covered by thin layers of ice, much easier to get through than a whole sheet
of ice. PLUS, these holes are usually drilled by persons who know the lake,
have the equipment, and know where the fish are. All they need is a
"FISH HERE ------" SIGN

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
Download the book.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Feb 4, 2:19 pm, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:
I've got a question for you. I was crusing around that big deep lake
in russia with google earth and was really surprised at the bright
blue ice, happen to know why it is blue? It's real easy to find, just
click on five pictures at the lake and one will show the ice.

SW-The current issue of Russian Life magazine has an article on Lake
Baikal, unfortunately not available on line. In the photos the ice is as
smooth and clear as glass, over black water. Perhaps Google caught a
reflection of the sky.

jsw

Mayhaps the ice was not frozen, and it was water ..............

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 5, 12:13*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

On Feb 4, 2:19 pm, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote:

I've got a question for you. I was crusing around that big deep lake
in russia with google earth and was really surprised at the bright
blue ice, happen to know why it is blue? It's real easy to find, just
click on five pictures at the lake and one will show the ice.

SW-The current issue of Russian Life magazine has an article on Lake
Baikal, unfortunately not available on line. In the photos the ice is as
smooth and clear as glass, over black water. Perhaps Google caught a
reflection of the sky.

jsw

Mayhaps the ice was not frozen, and it was water ..............

Steve

The ice was 60 centimeters (2 feet) thick.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus;

A pry bar is not a good way to cut through ice for a few reasons.
First, it's heavy and awkward to use. Secondly, you normally have to
make a much 'larger hole' in order at the onset in order to get you 8"
hole at the bottom. The ice hole that is created with such a tool
also creates HUGE chunks of sharp ice edges and you WILL easily cut
your line on those edges.

Ice augers can be found at places like BASS PRO or Wal-Mart for as
little as $30 or $40 bucks. The Normark augers have nice sharp blades
and I can get through 22" of ice in less than a minute or two. Also,
if you have a decent drill (250+ foot pounds) you can buy a simple
attachment that connects to the auger and you can drill quite a few
holes that only take about 8 to 10 seconds to get through the ice. So
all in all, it's not expensive to get through just about 'any'
thickness of ice

Fish in Many 'Heavily Iced' areas are easily attracted to sunlight
that appears when a hole is cut completely through the ice.. Compound
this with a body of water that has 'Very Little' fishing pressure and
you'll have some very eager and inquisitive fish. This phenomena
'rarely' occurs on a lake or body of water that is 'Heavily Fished'.
Also, the probability of fish at the 'Top' of the hole (surface of the
water) is EXTREMELY rare and is likely a result of a 'Larger'
predatory fish that has pushed a 'School of Fish' to the surface, thus
trapping some of them into the hole. Once inside the hole and
depending on the size of the fish, they will very quickly lose their
'bearings' and remain in the hole until they can escape.

Check with your 'Fishing Regulations' for your area before using Bait,
or Chumming the water! Use of any one of these methods can ABSOLUTELY
ruin your day, week or Month depending on the 'FINE' that you might
receive for doing using the former when it is 'not allowed'. Where I
live, the fines can be quite severe and as such, they are NOT limited
to the confiscation of ALL your Fishing Equipment, you CAR/TRUCK and
even your BOAT! So indeed, be aware...

Lake Baikal can will sometimes not freeze completely until
February... It depends on 'how cold' the Winters are and how quickly
them come. Having said that, sometimes the lake is frozen before the
middle of December! Ice thickness' vary, but it's not uncommon to
find 5' of black ice (very strong ice) so bring a 'decent auger'.

Oh Yeah,... The Sky is MUCH BLUER in places like this due to FAR, FAR
less pollution. From what I know, Dust isn't much of an obstruction
unless you live in or near a desert or 'desert-like' environment....

Cheers,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32184 wrote:

My own thinking is that the ice reflects the sky. For some reason the
sky is bluer in Russia, or maybe I was younger.

This could be tested - what color is the clear ice when it's cloudy and
the sky is gray? (grey?)

Thanks!
Rich

Fishing wires desgnr[_2_] Home Repair 12 April 19th 10 08:05 PM
ice fishing daniel peterman Metalworking 12 December 31st 05 03:35 PM
fishing rod smudger UK diy 19 October 25th 05 11:41 AM
fishing rod smudger UK diy 7 May 27th 05 10:57 AM
FAO FISHING BOATS J T Woodworking 0 January 26th 05 11:29 PM