Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Snow tool

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/fe...shoveling-snow
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Usual suspect wrote:

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/fe...shoveling-snow

This guy thinks this is new?

They've been making one-piece bent showshovels for decades.

Or maybe his product is just the loopy handle? If that's the case, then I
hate him - I thought of the same thing decades ago, but didn't know how
to get something so simple and obvious to market.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in
message
Usual suspect wrote:

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/fe...shoveling-snow

This guy thinks this is new?

They've been making one-piece bent showshovels
for decades.

Or maybe his product is just the loopy handle?
If that's the case, then I
hate him - I thought of the same thing decades
ago, but didn't know how
to get something so simple and obvious to
market.

Thanks,
Rich

Why not just fabricate another short handle that
attaches
to the shovel at the rivet where the handle meets
the
shovel. We've done that around here, quite common.
This handle is free to swing as needed. The gold
rush guys had this figured out years ago. Those
bent
handle things suck. The patent office is loaded
with
handles of this concept. phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in
message
Usual suspect wrote:

[...]

I'd be interested to try a scythe type handle one a snow shovel. That's
one tool designed to be swung around all day without straining your back
by being hunched over. They take a little getting used to, but the concept
works.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 18:40:14 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in
message
Usual suspect wrote:

[...]

I find it more advantageous to live where the snow ISN'T, thanks.

--
Woe be to him that reads but one book.
-- George Herbert

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

click on the picture for a much larger version!
Looks like an old bow saw could be kit-bashed into one!
Martin

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/fe...shoveling-snow

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 4, 4:40*pm, "Phil Kangas" wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in

Usual suspect wrote:

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/fe...Hopkinton-man-...

This guy thinks this is new?

They've been making one-piece bent showshovels
for decades.

Or maybe his product is just the loopy handle?
If that's the case, then I
hate him - I thought of the same thing decades
ago, but didn't know how
to get something so simple and obvious to
market.

Thanks,
Rich

Why not just fabricate another short handle that
attaches
to the shovel at the rivet where the handle meets
the
shovel. We've done that around here, quite common.
This handle is free to swing as needed. The gold
rush guys had this figured out years ago. Those
bent
handle things suck. The patent office is loaded
with
handles of this concept. *phil k.- Hide quoted text -

Yup, used two guys to muck out their diggings. Have a drawing of one
somewhere from the 1850s. One guy pushed, the other guy lifted after
getting a full load.

I've never used one of the bent handle jobbies because most, if not
all, are attached to plastic blades. Wouldn't last more than a
fraction of a pass down the driveway or sidewalk in sub-zero weather.
Too many busted spots and raised joints. No fun running into them with
a steel blade, either, but at least it doesn't crack. Have a lot of
handles that used to be attached to plastic shovel blades salvaged
from the dumpster in back.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Usual suspect wrote:

[...]

OK, fair enough. The only time I used one was on a sidewalk, which
is all smooth and stuff.

Or are you pulling the "hole in the roof" trick? "Can't fix the
driveway in the winter, because, well, it's winter. And when
summer comes, who needs to fix it?" :-

Cheers!
Rich