Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Snow tool

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 21:36:17 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I've never used one of the bent handle jobbies because most, if not
all, are attached to plastic blades. Wouldn't last more than a
fraction of a pass down the driveway or sidewalk in sub-zero weather.
Too many busted spots and raised joints. No fun running into them with
a steel blade, either, but at least it doesn't crack. Have a lot of
handles that used to be attached to plastic shovel blades salvaged
from the dumpster in back.

I've never used tried any of the funky handled shovels either. But we
do have 4 varieties of Garant plastic shovels. The oldest, and
everyone's favorite, is about 20 years old and the blade is worn back
at least 1-1/2". Below zero weather is not unusual here in Maine, and
we've never broken one. Our walk is dry laid brick, so there are
plenty of bumps to run into.

http://www.garant.com/html/en/produi...idSousLigne=14

--
Ned Simmons