Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nok Nok is offline

Default Spoolgunning aluminum

I haven't been on RCM for ages...glad to see it's still alive. I'm working
on a project in aluminum angle and I've been having questionable results
welding with a spoolmate 100. My welds seem like they're fairly solid, but
they're consistently sooty. I'm cleaning the aluminum (6061), using pure
argon, right gun angle, stickout, etc. If I wire brush the welds after I'm
done they look fine. Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nok wrote:

I haven't been on RCM for ages...glad to see it's still alive. I'm
working on a project in aluminum angle and I've been having questionable
results
welding with a spoolmate 100. My welds seem like they're fairly solid,
but
they're consistently sooty. I'm cleaning the aluminum (6061), using pure
argon, right gun angle, stickout, etc. If I wire brush the welds after
I'm
done they look fine. Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

Ask on sci.engr.joining.welding?

I'm no weldor, and can't imagine what would cause a "sooty" appearance,
unless there's some kind of contamination going on. Maybe increase your
argon flow, just in case some air is intruding? Is your work area subject
to breezes or anything? Could your base metal have some carbon in it?

Or, since you say, "If I wire brush the welds after I'm done they look
fine," just keep doing that and don't tell anybody. :-

Well, you _did_ ask for suggestions. ;-)

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 23:53:26 -0500, "Nok"
wrote:

I haven't been on RCM for ages...glad to see it's still alive. I'm working
on a project in aluminum angle and I've been having questionable results
welding with a spoolmate 100. My welds seem like they're fairly solid, but
they're consistently sooty. I'm cleaning the aluminum (6061), using pure
argon, right gun angle, stickout, etc. If I wire brush the welds after I'm
done they look fine. Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

Actually..thats fairly normal.

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" peekamooseremove wrote in message
I haven't been on RCM for ages...glad to see it's still alive. I'm
working on a project in aluminum angle and I've been having questionable
results welding with a spoolmate 100. My welds seem like they're fairly
solid, but they're consistently sooty. I'm cleaning the aluminum (6061),
using pure argon, right gun angle, stickout, etc. If I wire brush the
welds after I'm done they look fine. Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

What wire are you using? The 5XXX I use for marine grade 5052 sure does
seem to throw more black soot on the work piece then the 4XXX I use for
6061, but they both do it. Bet Ernie could tell you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Nok @hotmail.com" peekamooseremove wrote in message
I haven't been on RCM for ages...glad to see it's still alive. I'm working
on a project in aluminum angle and I've been having questionable results
welding with a spoolmate 100. My welds seem like they're fairly solid, but
they're consistently sooty. I'm cleaning the aluminum (6061), using pure
argon, right gun angle, stickout, etc. If I wire brush the welds after I'm
done they look fine. Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

De-grease the whole thing with solvent first, then remove the oxide from
around the joint with a stainless brush.
Crank up the gas flow (20 - 30 CFH). Turn up the heat, don't weave, and
"push" instead of "dragging" the weld.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 17, 10:12*am, "David Courtney" wrote:
"Nok @hotmail.com" peekamooseremove wrote in message

I haven't been on RCM for ages...glad to see it's still alive. *I'm working
on a project in aluminum angle and I've been having questionable results
welding with a spoolmate 100. *My welds seem like they're fairly solid, but
they're consistently sooty. *I'm cleaning the aluminum (6061), using pure
argon, right gun angle, stickout, etc. *If I wire brush the welds after I'm
done they look fine. *Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

* *De-grease the whole thing with solvent first, then remove the oxide from
around the joint with a stainless brush.
* *Crank up the gas flow (20 - 30 CFH). *Turn up the heat, don't weave, and
"push" instead of "dragging" the weld.

In addtion to this fine advice,
Get a New Stainless brush, and NEVER EVER allow it to touch any steel,
or any thing EXCEPT aluminum, Ever.
Wrap a piece of aluminum foil around it for storage, and use it to
brush the aluminum just before you weld it. Be careful where you set
the brush down when using it.

De-grease the aluminum first, it must be VERY dry, and final brush
with you special brush. Weld immediately.

You will have shiny welds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 16, 10:53*pm, "Nok" wrote:
I haven't been on RCM for ages...glad to see it's still alive. *I'm working
on a project in aluminum angle and I've been having questionable results
welding with a spoolmate 100. *My welds seem like they're fairly solid, but
they're consistently sooty. *I'm cleaning the aluminum (6061), using pure
argon, right gun angle, stickout, etc. *If I wire brush the welds after I'm
done they look fine. *Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

I use to work at a place where they drew wire and they used oils on
the wire on the production line. Of course they degreased everything
that they made to get rid of the residue. Maybe some of the oil is
deliberately left on as an oxide protectant. Have you tried wiping a
length of the wire with a clean cloth and some solvent? Maybe if you
replace the wipers on the Spoolmate, you will see if you pick up
anything from the wire. Just a WAG.