Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Spoolgunning aluminum

On Jan 16, 10:53*pm, "Nok" wrote:
I haven't been on RCM for ages...glad to see it's still alive. *I'm working
on a project in aluminum angle and I've been having questionable results
welding with a spoolmate 100. *My welds seem like they're fairly solid, but
they're consistently sooty. *I'm cleaning the aluminum (6061), using pure
argon, right gun angle, stickout, etc. *If I wire brush the welds after I'm
done they look fine. *Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

I use to work at a place where they drew wire and they used oils on
the wire on the production line. Of course they degreased everything
that they made to get rid of the residue. Maybe some of the oil is
deliberately left on as an oxide protectant. Have you tried wiping a
length of the wire with a clean cloth and some solvent? Maybe if you
replace the wipers on the Spoolmate, you will see if you pick up
anything from the wire. Just a WAG.