Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Learned how to tap on a lathe today

It is kind of really amazing, how well I can tap on a manual lathe
when I need a concentrically tapped hole. The accuracy and ease of
that cannot possibly be even approached while tapping manually.

To hold the tap, I used Morse tapered tap collets that I horse traded
a while ago. They are made to hold taps with square shanks. See
mcmaster item 2731A49 for example.

It was also nice to slow down the lathe greatly, by changing the
frequency of the VFD.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23245" wrote in message
news
It is kind of really amazing, how well I can tap on a manual lathe
when I need a concentrically tapped hole. The accuracy and ease of
that cannot possibly be even approached while tapping manually.

To hold the tap, I used Morse tapered tap collets that I horse traded
a while ago. They are made to hold taps with square shanks. See
mcmaster item 2731A49 for example.

It was also nice to slow down the lathe greatly, by changing the
frequency of the VFD.

Must be nice to have a good lathe. I tapped something like that the other
day by clamping a tap in the drill chuck for my tail stock and sliding the
tail stuck up against the work piece and holding light pressure with my hand
while bumping the lathe. Forget low speed. LOL.

Click/Click Click/Click Click/Click

Its pretty cool though to try something new and have it work isn't it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 23:20:50 -0600, Ignoramus23245
wrote:

It is kind of really amazing, how well I can tap on a manual lathe
when I need a concentrically tapped hole. The accuracy and ease of
that cannot possibly be even approached while tapping manually.

To hold the tap, I used Morse tapered tap collets that I horse traded
a while ago. They are made to hold taps with square shanks. See
mcmaster item 2731A49 for example.

It was also nice to slow down the lathe greatly, by changing the
frequency of the VFD.

I've used a tool like this for many years:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=325-5179

It has a 1/2" shank that fits the tailstock chuck in the lathe and the
chuck in the mill. I crank the tap by hand, or stop the tap with a
wrench and rotate the lathe chuck by hand. It preserves "feel" and
enables "rocking" the tap to break chips, useful in some materials
with some tap sizes.

Not a production approach to be sure. I don't do production. It
works very nicely for model-shop sort of jobs and tasks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Avoid using hand taps and you don't have to worry about backing the tap.
Assuming you are tapping a through hole, there's nothing quite like a gun
plug tap for power tapping. They're commonly referenced as spiral pointed
taps. For blind holes, a spiral fluted tap serves the same purpose, as
it lifts the chips from the hole instead of packing them in the flutes,
which is the chief cause of tap breakage when power tapping by using
straight flute taps not intended to be used under power.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
. ..

... They're commonly referenced as spiral pointed taps. For blind
holes, a spiral fluted tap serves the same purpose, as it lifts the chips
from the hole instead of packing them in the flutes, which is the chief
cause of tap breakage when power tapping by using straight flute taps not
intended to be used under power.

Harold

Plus, you can do weird things like making worm wheels with them:

http://faxmentis.org/html/jpg/worm15.jpg

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ignoramus23245" wrote in
message news
It is kind of really amazing, how well I can tap on a manual lathe
when I need a concentrically tapped hole. The accuracy and ease of
that cannot possibly be even approached while tapping manually.

To hold the tap, I used Morse tapered tap collets that I horse traded
a while ago. They are made to hold taps with square shanks. See
mcmaster item 2731A49 for example.

It was also nice to slow down the lathe greatly, by changing the
frequency of the VFD.

Must be nice to have a good lathe. I tapped something like that the
other day by clamping a tap in the drill chuck for my tail stock and
sliding the tail stuck up against the work piece and holding light
pressure with my hand while bumping the lathe. Forget low speed. LOL.
Click/Click Click/Click Click/Click

Its pretty cool though to try something new and have it work isn't it.

I often do the same thing , but I use the lever on mine to lightly engage
the belt drive . Drop it in back gear and away we go . If it stalls or the
tap slips in the chuck , it's time to back it out and clear the chips .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 12, 10:40*am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
That is a bit dangerous for the tap and your work. You must have a torque release in case of bind. I use conventional hand taps
and chuck with a standard 1/2' Jacobs drill chuck on the round shank. In case of bind, the shank will slip in the chuck.
Steve

I use the drill chuck until the tap has cut enough threads to stay
straight, then switch to a hand tap wrench short enough to clear the
lathe ways or mill column.
http://www.germansupply.com/home/ima...roductid=16846
I have only 3" of quill travel and that type of wrench lets me leave
the drill chuck in place.

I've just about used up the 9 lives power-tapping, but I still back it
out with power.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 12, 2:13*pm, "T.Alan Kraus" wrote:
On 12/12/2010 1:35 AM, Jeff R. wrote:

"Harold& *Susan *wrote in message

... *They're commonly referenced as spiral pointed taps. * * For blind
holes, a spiral fluted tap serves the same purpose, as it lifts the chips
from the hole instead of packing them in the flutes, which is the chief
cause of tap breakage when power tapping by using straight flute taps not
intended to be used under power.

Harold

Plus, you can do weird things like making worm wheels with them:

http://faxmentis.org/html/jpg/worm15.jpg

--
Jeff R.

Very cool!

I tap shotgun muzzles for screw in chokes while under power in the
lathe.

T Alan, how do you calculate the SPL in db reubar at the threshold of
supersonic gas 2 atmospheres peak, cavitation trough?

You did it once before and I can't find it.

What I learned today Molly Brown Home Repair 7 August 24th 10 01:14 PM
Something I learned today, L series chuck Wes[_2_] Metalworking 5 February 7th 10 12:42 AM
Learned something new today Vic Baron Woodworking 3 November 4th 09 07:41 PM
Today I learned ... Keith UK diy 9 January 14th 07 11:30 PM
Learned the Power of my Tablesaw today! James Cubby Culbertson Woodworking 9 December 7th 03 04:18 AM