Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] clarkmagnuson@gmail.com is offline

Default Learned how to tap on a lathe today

On Dec 12, 2:13*pm, "T.Alan Kraus" wrote:
On 12/12/2010 1:35 AM, Jeff R. wrote:

"Harold& *Susan *wrote in message

... *They're commonly referenced as spiral pointed taps. * * For blind
holes, a spiral fluted tap serves the same purpose, as it lifts the chips
from the hole instead of packing them in the flutes, which is the chief
cause of tap breakage when power tapping by using straight flute taps not
intended to be used under power.

Harold

Plus, you can do weird things like making worm wheels with them:

http://faxmentis.org/html/jpg/worm15.jpg

--
Jeff R.

Very cool!

I tap shotgun muzzles for screw in chokes while under power in the
lathe.

T Alan, how do you calculate the SPL in db reubar at the threshold of
supersonic gas 2 atmospheres peak, cavitation trough?

You did it once before and I can't find it.