Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Something I learned today, L series chuck

The last few times, putting my 10" 4 jaw chuck on my L00 spindle equipped lathe has been a
struggle. I have a couple 3/4" pine boards I lay across the bed to help support the chuck
while I turn the spindle nut.

Lately this hasn't been working. A 20 minute chuck change blows backwards. I couldn't
get the nut to engage.

I felt rather dee de dee today when I figured out what had changed on me.

Normally, having a fairly logical mind, I've indexed the drive key up when putting the
chuck on. Lately, I've been turning stock with a diameter such that my jaws extend past
the chuck body. That made it impossible to put the chuck on with the key up.

Today after a bit of frustration, I re-thought things, retracted the jaws, indexed the
spindle with drive key up and it was easy peasey to align and tighten the nut.

Sometimes the obvious is oblivious.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Those big chucks give quite a workout when changing them. I did same
today (12" drive plate and a 6" chuck).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10246 wrote:

Those big chucks give quite a workout when changing them. I did same
today (12" drive plate and a 6" chuck).

When it gets warmer and I feel like working in the unheated portion of my garage, er shop,
I'm going to fire up the bandsaw and cut a couple custom cradles to hold my two chucks in
perfect alignment with my spindle.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
wrote:

Those big chucks give quite a workout when changing them. I did same
today (12" drive plate and a 6" chuck).

When it gets warmer and I feel like working in the unheated portion of my garage, er shop,
I'm going to fire up the bandsaw and cut a couple custom cradles to hold my two chucks in
perfect alignment with my spindle.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Just get an old morse taper drill and clamp it in the chuck, then
insert it in the tail stock. The same process works when removing a chuck

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes sez: "Sometimes the obvious is oblivious."

As an old military instructor told me, "If you can find an obvious problem and fix it, the unobvious
problems are usually fixed in the process".

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 08:58:49 -0500, John wrote:

Wes wrote:
wrote:

Those big chucks give quite a workout when changing them. I did same
today (12" drive plate and a 6" chuck).

When it gets warmer and I feel like working in the unheated portion of my garage, er shop,
I'm going to fire up the bandsaw and cut a couple custom cradles to hold my two chucks in
perfect alignment with my spindle.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Just get an old morse taper drill and clamp it in the chuck, then
insert it in the tail stock. The same process works when removing a chuck

John

I probably have spare MT stuff. Let me know what size you need.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Learned something new today Vic Baron Woodworking 3 November 4th 09 07:41 PM
I taught myself a lesson today; good idea learned from experience marc rosen Woodworking 13 December 23rd 08 10:18 AM
Today I learned ... Keith UK diy 9 January 14th 07 11:30 PM
Fire-rated downlights - something I learned today... [email protected] UK diy 6 January 13th 07 01:47 PM
Learned the Power of my Tablesaw today! James Cubby Culbertson Woodworking 9 December 7th 03 04:18 AM