Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rat lapping

Has anyone heard of a metalworking process called "rat lapping"? I am
researching an old firm and found a reference in Google Books which
lists them as " PRODUCT — Precision Rat Lapping & Grinding". Is this
actually a process, or is it just an OCR error when it should say
"Part Lapping"?

Best wishes,

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/04/2010 11:45 AM, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Has anyone heard of a metalworking process called "rat lapping"? I am
researching an old firm and found a reference in Google Books which
lists them as " PRODUCT — Precision Rat Lapping& Grinding". Is this
actually a process, or is it just an OCR error when it should say
"Part Lapping"?

My dog laps up little baby rabbits and birds and things -- I think he'd
lap a rat right up.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 1:45*pm, Christopher Tidy
wrote:
Has anyone heard of a metalworking process called "rat lapping"? I am
researching an old firm and found a reference in Google Books which
lists them as " PRODUCT — Precision Rat Lapping & Grinding". Is this
actually a process, or is it just an OCR error when it should say
"Part Lapping"?

Best wishes,

Chris

Flat lapping is legitimate.
Think microns, such as optical flats.
Maybe Chinese?

ww
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 7:27*pm, wws wrote:

Flat lapping is legitimate.
Think microns, such as optical flats.
Maybe Chinese?

I did wonder if the word was flat. Here's the pictu
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-...rat+lapping%22

According to Google, it's "rat". But flat or part sounds more
sensible.

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave__67 wrote:
On Nov 4, 2:45*pm, Christopher Tidy
wrote:
Has anyone heard of a metalworking process called "rat lapping"? I am
researching an old firm and found a reference in Google Books which
lists them as " PRODUCT ? Precision Rat Lapping & Grinding". Is this
actually a process, or is it just an OCR error when it should say
"Part Lapping"?

Isn't that when you set up an automated machine, come back, and find a
rat squished in the works?

Well, there are lap dogs, and lab rats, and lab dogs, are there lap rats?

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 9:07*pm, Dave__67 wrote:

Isn't that when you set up an automated machine, come back, and find a
rat squished in the works?

Check out the failed rat:
http://www.aaroncake.net/misc/wallpain.htm

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 7:27*pm, wws wrote:

Flat lapping is legitimate.
Think microns, such as optical flats.
Maybe Chinese?

The more I think about it, the more I think it is "Flat". After all
"Fl" looks fairly close to "R" in some fonts. Thanks for the sensible
suggestion!

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On 11/04/2010 11:45 AM, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Has anyone heard of a metalworking process called "rat lapping"? I
am
researching an old firm and found a reference in Google Books which
lists them as " PRODUCT — Precision Rat Lapping& Grinding". Is
this
actually a process, or is it just an OCR error when it should say
"Part Lapping"?

My dog laps up little baby rabbits and birds and things -- I think
he'd lap a rat right up.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

My conjecture would be that this is an OCR merger of F and l.
There is a machine in the shop like that for lapidary materials.
But the concept of seeing how rodents would do turning through a
maze built on a vibrating platform might have parallels to human
behavior in earthquakes.

Regards,

EH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 12:41:46 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

On Nov 4, 7:27*pm, wws wrote:

Flat lapping is legitimate.
Think microns, such as optical flats.
Maybe Chinese?

I did wonder if the word was flat. Here's the pictu
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-...rat+lapping%22

404 error.

According to Google, it's "rat". But flat or part sounds more
sensible.

SWAG:
Perhaps scraping/lapping with a rat-tail file which was ground into a
scraper? shrug

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message
m...

[...]

The most common industrial venue for flat laps in my experience is in
optical shops,
so if your reference has any relevance to lens or glass working, that
would implicate
the process.

Regards,

EH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-04, Christopher Tidy wrote:
On Nov 4, 7:27*pm, wws wrote:

Flat lapping is legitimate.
Think microns, such as optical flats.
Maybe Chinese?

I did wonder if the word was flat. Here's the pictu
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-...rat+lapping%22

According to Google, it's "rat". But flat or part sounds more
sensible.

Likely an artifact of the OCR and a ligature of 'f' and 'l'. I
know that "fi" used to be commonly printed as a ligature (squished
together, so the dot of the 'i' merges with the ball on the top of the
loop of a lower-case 'f' in certain type faces.

Check this web page on the subject:

http://www.will-harris.com/ligatures.htm

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had an encounter with one of those last week. The Kido came into the
shop to do some speech homework with me for 15 minutes. I was eating
peanuts and tossing the shells into some kind of round military can
14"w X 15" h that is beside and under the cantilever of a smooth sided
work bench. After numerous tosses of shells I noticed a mouse in the
far side of the can cringing every time the shells where thrown at it
and staring at me. When I looked closer it's tail looked like it got
smashed in two places it the past.

The Kido said don't kill it, and since there where only peanut shells
in the trash can we drove it down to the end of the road about 1/4
mile. I dumped out the can and it ran down the hill.

24 hours later I tossed something in the can and there was the same
mouse staring back at me ! I was kinda wondering how it got into
there in the first place and now this.

Twin mice with a genetic mistake in their tails? Lost pets that
travel great distances to get back home? Time loops inside the
military can that was once on the USS Eldridge ?

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Sunworshipper wrote:

[...]

1/4 mile is not nearly far enough if you don't want it to come back to
you....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sunworshipper wrote:

[...]

An angry rat on a mission to tick you off? ;-)

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

For sure.

When I was 12, my dad bought a bike in an adjacent
town and told me to ride it home, 6 miles away.

I paid more careful attention to our route on car
rides, after that. Heh.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 5, 10:45*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:
* * * * Likely an artifact of the OCR and a ligature of 'f' and 'l'. ..
* * * * * * * * DoN.

Or an OCR spellcheck correction of 'frat lapping'?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 10:27:20 -0500, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Sunworshipper wrote:

[...]

1320-2000 feet isn't enough, hmmm.

I am new to this country stuff, kinda.

Cats and dogs must be really hard to get rid of. Just kidding pet
lovers.

I'd love to figure out these ^*#!$ flys. How do they propagate? Out
of the dirt? And they just stop for the winter. Soon as it gets warm
they come back to life.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sunworshipper wrote:

Twin mice with a genetic mistake in their tails? Lost pets that
travel great distances to get back home? Time loops inside the
military can that was once on the USS Eldridge ?

Free meals.

Was the mouse wearing a little sombrero? ;-)

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:22:17 -0600, Sunworshipper
wrote:

[...]

Friend had a sqirrel problem
He trapped squirrels by the dozen, relocating them several miles away
in a different semi-forested area. Got to thinking there's an awfull
lot of squirrels, and some of them are looking a bit familliar, so he
decided to spray paint a few tails. Within a few hours the little
beggars were back - so he decided to relocate them across the river,
some 7 miles away.
Painted tails were back within a day or two.

He figured he had 2 choices - baptize them or learn to live with them.
They are still there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 09:43:25 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Nov 5, 10:45*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:
* * * * Likely an artifact of the OCR and a ligature of 'f' and 'l'. ..
* * * * * * * * DoN.

Or an OCR spellcheck correction of 'frat lapping'?

Sounds like a very fun coed college sport.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.

Lapping Michael Koblic Metalworking 20 May 20th 09 05:58 AM
Help! lapping question Dixon Metalworking 3 May 6th 08 03:03 PM
Lapping nylon [email protected] Metalworking 14 May 9th 06 04:02 AM
Flat Lapping [email protected] Metalworking 19 June 2nd 05 03:53 AM
lapping compound Scott Black Metalworking 5 January 31st 05 05:17 AM