Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Edward Hennessey[_2_] Edward  Hennessey[_2_] is offline

Default Rat lapping

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On 11/04/2010 11:45 AM, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Has anyone heard of a metalworking process called "rat lapping"? I
am
researching an old firm and found a reference in Google Books which
lists them as " PRODUCT — Precision Rat Lapping& Grinding". Is
this
actually a process, or is it just an OCR error when it should say
"Part Lapping"?

My dog laps up little baby rabbits and birds and things -- I think
he'd lap a rat right up.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

My conjecture would be that this is an OCR merger of F and l.
There is a machine in the shop like that for lapidary materials.
But the concept of seeing how rodents would do turning through a
maze built on a vibrating platform might have parallels to human
behavior in earthquakes.

Regards,

EH