Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SK Tools is bankrupt

And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus9310" wrote in message
And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

http://www.idealindustries.com/whats...0-08-23_sktool

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/30/2010 08:11 AM, Ignoramus9310 wrote:
And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

Really bankrupt bankrupt, or are they just closing a plant?

Either way, that's a pity -- I liked those tools, and you know that at
least half of their market will end up being serviced by China.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-30, Up North wrote:

"Ignoramus9310" wrote in message
And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

http://www.idealindustries.com/whats...0-08-23_sktool

Yep, IDEAL bought assets of bankrupt SK. Some assets are now being
disposed of. Perhaps Ideal only wants SK's trademark.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-30, Tim Wescott wrote:
On 10/30/2010 08:11 AM, Ignoramus9310 wrote:
And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

Really bankrupt bankrupt, or are they just closing a plant?

Really bankrupt bankrupt. Ideal is dumping the machines at that
auction.

Either way, that's a pity -- I liked those tools, and you know that at
least half of their market will end up being serviced by China.

I love their tools, too. I wonder what happened.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 30, 12:12*pm, Ignoramus9310
On 2010-10-30, Tim Wescott wrote:

On 10/30/2010 08:11 AM, Ignoramus9310 wrote:
And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

Really bankrupt bankrupt, or are they just closing a plant?

Really bankrupt bankrupt. Ideal is dumping the machines at that
auction.

Either way, that's a pity -- I liked those tools, and you know that at
least half of their market will end up being serviced by China.

I love their tools, too. I wonder what happened.

I still use the 1/2 inch S-K socket set I bought in the mid 1950's.
Split a couple of sockets along the way, but everything else is
perfect, but worn.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 10:11:55 -0500, Ignoramus9310
wrote:

And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

I just looked at a half dozen pages of that auction. Not much actual
manufacturing equipment. Its a sure bet this is a surplus to
operations sale. This site is being closed and equipment needed for
future manufacturing has been moved out.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus9310 wrote:

And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

That is sad. I still have a few SK-Wayne tools that were my adoptadads. They made decent
tools.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus9310 wrote:

http://www.idealindustries.com/whats...0-08-23_sktool

Yep, IDEAL bought assets of bankrupt SK. Some assets are now being
disposed of. Perhaps Ideal only wants SK's trademark.

At least it is a USA company buying a USA trademark at worst. I *hope* they also acquired
some of the human intellectual assets be it engineer or the guy running the heat treat
oven.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Either way, that's a pity -- I liked those tools, and you know that at
least half of their market will end up being serviced by China.

I needed to install an Apex hard sear into my S&W M&P .40c. I didn't expect Saturdy
delivery from Dillon Precision but there the package was, sitting on my door step this
morning as I headed over to uncles to change out my tie rod ends.

Now I could drive 35 miles to work to retrieve my tools or 21 to the nearby sears and buy
some pin punches and another 4 oz hammer. I should have this stuff in my range box so I
went with buying tools at sears.

I carefully inspected the packaging and contents to make sure I saw made in usa on
everything before purchasing.

I'll end up turning them in to roll pin punches at some point. Easy to do if you can hold
the tiny end in a collet.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-30, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus9310 wrote:

And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

That is sad. I still have a few SK-Wayne tools that were my adoptadads. They made decent
tools.

But no more warranty. I think that Ideal will keep the SK brand,
though. And as Karl pointed out, this looks more like a reorganization
sale than a full outright liquidation. No really modern high
production stuff is on sale, other than screw machines.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Ignoramus9310 wrote:

http://www.idealindustries.com/whats...0-08-23_sktool

Yep, IDEAL bought assets of bankrupt SK. Some assets are now being
disposed of. Perhaps Ideal only wants SK's trademark.

At least it is a USA company buying a USA trademark at worst. I *hope*
they also acquired
some of the human intellectual assets be it engineer or the guy running
the heat treat
oven.

I dunno. Some of Ideal's stuff lately is crap. I just threw away a meter
that was only a couple weeks old. I bet they just bought it for the name.
Ideal makes a few things, but they just put their name on a lot of stuff. I
don't know if other professionals have experienced lower quality from them
in recent years, but if so they may just want the SK name for another
reason.

I don't have much SK stuff, but I do have a couple really nice 1/4 socket
sets I bought for my service trucks 16 years ago. I love them. I have one
in the shop, and one in my service truck and used one just this morning. A
third one I bought at the same time is no doubt loved by one of my former
technicians.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 18:11:17 -0500, Ignoramus9310

On 2010-10-30, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus9310 wrote:

And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

That is sad. I still have a few SK-Wayne tools that were my adoptadads. They made decent
tools.

But no more warranty. I think that Ideal will keep the SK brand,
though. And as Karl pointed out, this looks more like a reorganization
sale than a full outright liquidation.

==No really modern high
production stuff is on sale, other than screw machines.==

{emphasis added}

===========
More than likely this is why they went out of business and
the screw machines are what was left from their war [WW1]
production. Another company that survived the "great
depression," denominator managed into oblivion. ["But we
made the numbers every year but one" -- the last...]

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 14:12:59 -0500, Ignoramus9310

On 2010-10-30, Tim Wescott wrote:
On 10/30/2010 08:11 AM, Ignoramus9310 wrote:
And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

Really bankrupt bankrupt, or are they just closing a plant?

Really bankrupt bankrupt. Ideal is dumping the machines at that
auction.

Either way, that's a pity -- I liked those tools, and you know that at
least half of their market will end up being serviced by China.

I love their tools, too. I wonder what happened.

=========
For background see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SK_Hand_Tools

For case study we will have to wait a while. However it
appears from the number of times SK changed ownership all
the juice [working capital] was squeezed from the pickle and
maintenance/ new product R&D was deferred forever.

However Wiki states
"The sale will happen August 25, 2010. SK hand tools will
continue to be made 100% in the USA.
[edit] Manufacturing Locations

SK maintains a Manufacturing plant in Sycamore, Illinois. SK
will be manufactured in Sycamore, Illinois, in a brand new
Manufacturing Plant."

In this case, it may have just been a creditor or union hose
job. There was a management LBO in May 2005

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/defi...536098A0EQI/p2
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/defi...EOE536098A0EQI

also see
http://www.toolamanjaro.com/2010/07/...or-bankruptcy/
http://www.toolamanjaro.com/2010/07/...sk-hand-tools/
http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/...and_tools.aspx

for auction equipment list see
http://www.loebequipment.com/showauc...uctionID=75760

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

I just looked at a half dozen pages of that auction. Not much actual
manufacturing equipment. Its a sure bet this is a surplus to
operations sale. This site is being closed and equipment needed for
future manufacturing has been moved out.

I think so, too.

IMHO, this is the worst kind of auction to buy at. The good stuff is
all gone. What's left is mostly broken and worn out. This is for
machines. Normally good deals on supplies and materials and misc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 30, 5:15*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

Ignoramus9310 wrote:

http://www.idealindustries.com/whats...view.jsp?news=...

[...]

I used to get onesie SK combo wrenches from the local discount tool
joint, had them right on the pegs. At the time, they were the only
full-polish wrenches you could find, easy to wipe the grease off of.
After a couple of years, all that could be bought was sets, then
nothing but chink stuff. Craftsman offers full-polish now, but the
open-ends have the tips of the wrench openings dubbed off, SK ran the
opening straight out to a fairly sharp point. Makes a big difference
when all you can get is a portion of the wrench onto a fastener. SK
had a tie-in with some French tool outfit at one time, had some French-
made specialty wrenches with SK labels. Don't know when that happened
or when or if the conection was broken. Probably one of those
management brainstorms that didn't pan out and cost bundles. SK
hasn't had any retail presence around here for probably 10 years or
better. Can't sell wrenches if nobody wants to carry them. I see
chink clones, though, for about the same price as those old wrenches.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2010-10-30, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

The list is on bidspotter too.

Looks like a sad case of corporate actionsleading to neglect and
decine of actual business.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

I just looked at a half dozen pages of that auction. Not much actual
manufacturing equipment. Its a sure bet this is a surplus to
operations sale. This site is being closed and equipment needed for
future manufacturing has been moved out.

I think so, too.

IMHO, this is the worst kind of auction to buy at. The good stuff is
all gone. What's left is mostly broken and worn out. This is for
machines. Normally good deals on supplies and materials and misc.

I agree. I would not be bidding on anything, I no longer buy stuff to
resell on ebay and I do not need anything ATM. I recently found a
good deal on a 2200 degree, 115 volts HT furnace.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Wes" wrote in message
Ignoramus9310 wrote:

http://www.idealindustries.com/whats...0-08-23_sktool

Yep, IDEAL bought assets of bankrupt SK. Some assets are now being
disposed of. Perhaps Ideal only wants SK's trademark.

At least it is a USA company buying a USA trademark at worst. I *hope*
they also acquired
some of the human intellectual assets be it engineer or the guy running
the heat treat
oven.

I dunno. Some of Ideal's stuff lately is crap. I just threw away a meter
that was only a couple weeks old. I bet they just bought it for the name.
Ideal makes a few things, but they just put their name on a lot of stuff.
I don't know if other professionals have experienced lower quality from
them in recent years, but if so they may just want the SK name for another
reason.

Their electrical tools are no match for Klein.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

And they were very clean indeed. One on wooden crate base.

Often manufacturing companies have backup - to keep the line going 24/7.
Waiting for a gear to be made or such - shutting down the line can be bad.

Martin

wrote:

And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

I just looked at a half dozen pages of that auction. Not much actual
manufacturing equipment. Its a sure bet this is a surplus to
operations sale. This site is being closed and equipment needed for
future manufacturing has been moved out.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

NICE 36" Rockford Planer (called a shaper erroniously)

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2010-10-30, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

In some cases it is, however this sequence frequently
results from the application of the G+W "buy-ruin-sell"
paradigm, aka called milking the cash cow [to death].

From the above referenced news reports, one problem was
apparently a union that refused to work for minimum wage and
no benefits. This seems to have been compounded by a
massive debt for the first management LBO in 2005, which
most likely came due with a balloon note, and quite likely a
mortgage on the plant and grounds.

I am sure Ideal moved the unique tools, jigs, fixtures, etc.
and sold off the duplicate/obsolete stuff. By combining
several tool lines ideal should be able to get reasonable
plant and machine utilization, and production volume.

Even if none of the union SK employees are employed by
Ideal, if Ideal recreates the same
hostile/advisarial/exploitative work environment, they will
have the same types of labor problems within a year.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I also looked at the listings, have not found anything of interest to
me. A few cabinets looked kind of nice, but I already have enough
cabinets.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KD7HB wrote:
I still use the 1/2 inch S-K socket set I bought in the mid 1950's.
Split a couple of sockets along the way, but everything else is
perfect, but worn.

Paul

I still use the 1/4" drive set I bought in 1949 in Chicago.
It's still complete and in great shape. In a very nice
metal box.
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-30, Tim Wescott wrote:

On 10/30/2010 08:11 AM, Ignoramus9310 wrote:
And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

Really bankrupt bankrupt, or are they just closing a plant?

Really bankrupt bankrupt. Ideal is dumping the machines at that
auction.

Either way, that's a pity -- I liked those tools, and you know that at
least half of their market will end up being serviced by China.

I love their tools, too. I wonder what happened.

I still use the 1/2 inch S-K socket set I bought in the mid 1950's.
Split a couple of sockets along the way, but everything else is
perfect, but worn.

Paul

The vast number of my shop and rollaway boxes are filled with SK

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-30, Bob La Londe wrote:

[ ... ]

I don't have much SK stuff, but I do have a couple really nice 1/4 socket
sets I bought for my service trucks 16 years ago. I love them. I have one
in the shop, and one in my service truck and used one just this morning. A
third one I bought at the same time is no doubt loved by one of my former
technicians.

I have a 1/4" set which I bought new back around 1974 or so,
another set (not quite complete -- missing the screwdriver handle) from
an estate sale about six to eight years ago or so, and a 1/2" drive set
(from a hamfest or flea market). Glad to have all of them.

Both 1/4" sets have the deep-wall sockets along with the normal
ones. The 1/2" set only has the normal sockets -- no room for the
deep-wall ones. :-(

The first 1/4" set has spot-welded metal partitions to divide it
up (as does the 1/2" set) while the second 1/4" set has a molded black
plastic insert for dividers. All have the same hammertone green paint
job. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

I just looked at a half dozen pages of that auction. Not much actual
manufacturing equipment. Its a sure bet this is a surplus to
operations sale. This site is being closed and equipment needed for
future manufacturing has been moved out.

I think so, too.

IMHO, this is the worst kind of auction to buy at. The good stuff is
all gone. What's left is mostly broken and worn out. This is for
machines. Normally good deals on supplies and materials and misc.

I agree. I would not be bidding on anything, I no longer buy stuff to
resell on ebay and I do not need anything ATM. I recently found a
good deal on a 2200 degree, 115 volts HT furnace.

Need a programmer?

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HeatTreat#

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

I just looked at a half dozen pages of that auction. Not much actual
manufacturing equipment. Its a sure bet this is a surplus to
operations sale. This site is being closed and equipment needed for
future manufacturing has been moved out.

I think so, too.

IMHO, this is the worst kind of auction to buy at. The good stuff is
all gone. What's left is mostly broken and worn out. This is for
machines. Normally good deals on supplies and materials and misc.

I agree. I would not be bidding on anything, I no longer buy stuff to
resell on ebay and I do not need anything ATM. I recently found a
good deal on a 2200 degree, 115 volts HT furnace.

Need a programmer?

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HeatTreat#

It already has a control. I am not sure what it does exactly, I have
not brought it home yet.

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/Elgin/15-2-4.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KD7HB writes:

I still use the 1/2 inch S-K socket set I bought in the mid 1950's.

I imagine somebody is still using the one they stole from me in the 1980s.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It sets temp only from the looks of it.

Set the temp, and YOU have to turn it off and on when necessary to get
the proper temps, lags, etc etc for heat treating and item

So if you need a programmer/control...simply ask and Ill sell or trade
you one.

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It sets temp only from the looks of it.

Set the temp, and YOU have to turn it off and on when necessary to get
the proper temps, lags, etc etc for heat treating and item

So if you need a programmer/control...simply ask and Ill sell or trade
you one.

Gunner

That's how mine works. is your unit plug'n'play. i don't need a
project.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Ignoramus9310 wrote:

http://www.idealindustries.com/whats...0-08-23_sktool

Yep, IDEAL bought assets of bankrupt SK. Some assets are now being
disposed of. Perhaps Ideal only wants SK's trademark.

At least it is a USA company buying a USA trademark at worst. I *hope*
they also acquired
some of the human intellectual assets be it engineer or the guy running
the heat treat
oven.

I dunno. Some of Ideal's stuff lately is crap. I just threw away a
meter that was only a couple weeks old. I bet they just bought it for
the name. Ideal makes a few things, but they just put their name on a lot
of stuff. I don't know if other professionals have experienced lower
quality from them in recent years, but if so they may just want the SK
name for another reason.

Their electrical tools are no match for Klein.

I've got some Klein crimper/strippers that are pretty much crap too, and a
couple pairs of a different design that are excellent. They make some
really great tools, and one or two that all I can say is, "What were they
thinking?" The funny thing is the one design of strippers they have that I
really like and have a pair of in each tool pouch I have since found
alternative private labels of it from Napa and Walmart. I think I recall
seeing one with an Ideal label on it too. Who I wonder actually made it?

Love those Klein rubber handle screwdrivers.

Klein plays the game though. They used to have a reputation for awesome
leather pouches "Made in USA." I don't have current knowledge about that
operation, but years ago they sure played the maquiladora game. Made them
in Mexico. Popped in the final rivets in a cheesy warehouse in San Luis,
Arizona and labeled them made in USA. I have to admit they were decent
quality pouches though. I still have a couple from back then.

With any of those tool lines you have to evaluate each individual tool.
That is of course hard to do if you don't have a lot of experience with
them. Long gone are the days you could buy a tool off the shelf by a
particular manufacturer and KNOW it was good quality and a good design for
the job.

Ideal sells good wirenuts. They also have a zip tie with a tiny little
stainless catch instead of plastic that I really like. You don't break them
easily, and they never slip.

I pretty much lump Ideal, Gardner Bender, Klein, and Green Lee all into the
same basket. They each have a couple items that are good and have always
been good, and a lot of stuff they just throw their name on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 06:57:43 -0500, Karl Townsend

It sets temp only from the looks of it.

Set the temp, and YOU have to turn it off and on when necessary to get
the proper temps, lags, etc etc for heat treating and item

So if you need a programmer/control...simply ask and Ill sell or trade
you one.

Gunner

That's how mine works. is your unit plug'n'play. i don't need a
project.

Karl

Pretty much.

google Honeywell UDC2000 and UDC2500 and read the manuals.

110vts in, "temp probe" in, relay contacts out. Period

Use the switching relay already in your oven to control the big amps
power and you are golden.

And they have settings for at least 50 types of temp probes.

And if you use AutoTune..it finds nearly everything all by itself

Gunner

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-31, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 20:04:41 -0500, Ignoramus9310
wrote:

[ ... ]

I agree. I would not be bidding on anything, I no longer buy stuff to
resell on ebay and I do not need anything ATM. I recently found a
good deal on a 2200 degree, 115 volts HT furnace.

Need a programmer?

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HeatTreat#

It already has a control. I am not sure what it does exactly, I have
not brought it home yet.

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/Elgin/15-2-4.jpg

Hmm ... the controller there looks like one of the duty-cycle
style -- your knob turns a cam relative to a second cam on the same
shaft. Both are rotated by a clock style gearmotor (maybe 1 RPM, maybe
slower), and the setting of the cams selects a duty cycle somewhere
between 50% and 100% to approximate various temperatures.

In contrast -- the controllers which gunner has looks similar to
my little Omega one (hooked to a small heat treating oven through a 25
Amp Solid State Relay). I can set it to 1850 F and it will reach that
in about an hour -- pausing a short time at about the 2/3 of set point
temperature to see how much thermal inertia is present. It will reach
the setpoint and at worst overshoot by 1 degree F. (It can also be set
to work in degrees C, but the tables which I work from are usually in F,
so that is what I use.

And those which Gunner has look like they may be more convenient
to set as well. (More buttons, so less holding a single button and
watching the numbers scroll up. :-)

I would strongly suggest that you get one of Gunners
controllers.

The oven looks like a nice size. It may need 240 VAC instead of
120 VAC -- mine works from 120 VAC and actually draws only about ten
amps. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.