Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus9310 Ignoramus9310 is offline

Default SK Tools is bankrupt

On 2010-10-30, F George McDuffee wrote:
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 14:12:59 -0500, Ignoramus9310

On 2010-10-30, Tim Wescott wrote:
On 10/30/2010 08:11 AM, Ignoramus9310 wrote:
And if you want to know how they made their tools, you can look he

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...?gallery=12259

Really bankrupt bankrupt, or are they just closing a plant?

Really bankrupt bankrupt. Ideal is dumping the machines at that
auction.

Either way, that's a pity -- I liked those tools, and you know that at
least half of their market will end up being serviced by China.

I love their tools, too. I wonder what happened.

=========
For background see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SK_Hand_Tools

For case study we will have to wait a while. However it
appears from the number of times SK changed ownership all
the juice [working capital] was squeezed from the pickle and
maintenance/ new product R&D was deferred forever.

However Wiki states
"The sale will happen August 25, 2010. SK hand tools will
continue to be made 100% in the USA.
[edit] Manufacturing Locations

SK maintains a Manufacturing plant in Sycamore, Illinois. SK
will be manufactured in Sycamore, Illinois, in a brand new
Manufacturing Plant."

In this case, it may have just been a creditor or union hose
job. There was a management LBO in May 2005

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/defi...536098A0EQI/p2
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/defi...EOE536098A0EQI

also see
http://www.toolamanjaro.com/2010/07/...or-bankruptcy/
http://www.toolamanjaro.com/2010/07/...sk-hand-tools/
http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/...and_tools.aspx

for auction equipment list see
http://www.loebequipment.com/showauc...uctionID=75760

The list is on bidspotter too.

Looks like a sad case of corporate actionsleading to neglect and
decine of actual business.