Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Rose Furniture Bankrupt - What are my consumer rights?

Rose Furniture in High Point announced it was going out of business
last week. I have furniture on-order with them that I may not receive
but I don't want to be responsible for the down-payments. Is anyone
else out there in this same position?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

If you paid with a credit card, you may be able to file a dispute and get
your money back. If not, you may have to wait and see if they come through.

In either case, their is a law firm handling things. I think they have a
web site set up for this but I can't find it at the moment.

I recall reading that Rose is going to honor their open orders. However,
even if they do, you'll be on the hook for dealing with shipping damage,
warranty claims, etc. I'm sorry to hear of your predicament, good luck to
you.

"Fiona" wrote in message
ps.com...
Rose Furniture in High Point announced it was going out of business
last week. I have furniture on-order with them that I may not receive
but I don't want to be responsible for the down-payments. Is anyone
else out there in this same position?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

I, too, have ordered from Rose Furniture in July. Because Rose ran my
charge right away I am outside the legal 60 days my bank can file a
dispute within. The manufacturer of my chair was kind enough to let me
know it has been built and it waiting to be shipped but Rose has not
paid them for the order and therefore they will not release it. So, I
have been advised to "reorder" the chair through someone else and pay
again, essentially paying for the chair twice. So upsetting. Just
looking for some advice. The chair is a nursery glider for our long
awaited baby daughter due in November.

mrsgator88 wrote:

If you paid with a credit card, you may be able to file a dispute and get
your money back. If not, you may have to wait and see if they come through.

In either case, their is a law firm handling things. I think they have a
web site set up for this but I can't find it at the moment.

I recall reading that Rose is going to honor their open orders. However,
even if they do, you'll be on the hook for dealing with shipping damage,
warranty claims, etc. I'm sorry to hear of your predicament, good luck to
you.

"Fiona" wrote in message
ps.com...
Rose Furniture in High Point announced it was going out of business
last week. I have furniture on-order with them that I may not receive
but I don't want to be responsible for the down-payments. Is anyone
else out there in this same position?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

duncanthepig wrote:
I, too, have ordered from Rose Furniture in July. Because Rose ran my
charge right away I am outside the legal 60 days my bank can file a
dispute within. The manufacturer of my chair was kind enough to let me

I think there is an FTC requirement that the company *must* ship
within 30 days of charging your card or they must refund the charge.
Call your credit card company and ask them about this.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

I consulted a private attorney because I had paid in full for a glider
from Rose. This is the summary of what he said (not my legal advice):
Visa would not honor my dispute because by law they must be filed
within 60 days of the charge being run. This was a debit, though, so
you may have luck contacting your credit card about your deposit if you
paid by credit card. If you paid by check, cash or debit we are in the
same boat. Rose must notify us by letter of the bankruptcy and provide
us with information about filing a claim in court. Creditors will be
paid first, though, and it is is highly unlikely any private customers'
money will be refunded. If any portion is refunded it will be several
years before we see it. I was forced to pay the manufacturer who built
my chair AGAIN because Rose had not paid their account to the
manufacturer, Dutailier (who has not been very pleasant about the whole
situation, either). Because my chair had already been built I just
plain wanted the product since it was sitting there waiting to be
shipped. I only wish I had put down just a deposit?!?

The attorney's advice to me was to be upset for a day but then exercise
my vote for candidates who support American manufacturing jobs and
stiffer bankruptcy penalties for companies.

Fiona wrote:
Rose Furniture in High Point announced it was going out of business
last week. I have furniture on-order with them that I may not receive
but I don't want to be responsible for the down-payments. Is anyone
else out there in this same position?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

[...]

So were you able to get the chair?

You can't vote for candidates that support American manufacturing jobs. No
such candidate exists who is actually electable. Anyways, Dutailier is made
in Canada, and they buy a lot of our stuff. Better to buy Canadian than
Chinese.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Fiona wrote:
Rose Furniture in High Point announced it was going out of business
last week. I have furniture on-order with them that I may not receive
but I don't want to be responsible for the down-payments. Is anyone
else out there in this same position?

I, too, was notified of the closing. I am a treasurer for a sorority
corporation board and ordered a full living room of furniture as well
as an 11 piece dining room set. I am sure hoping that Rose Furniture
will uphold its end of the bargain and fill the order since I have to
pay the final balance upon delivery. My husband thinks I am screwed
out of the money now...which not only affects the girls in the sorority
but also a reflection, I feel, on me as the purchasing treasurer. I
have made multiple calls and simply get a message line. I am afraid I
have lost my $4000.00 deposit for good.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

It looks as though Rose will not be filling any of the open orders
due to their bankruptcy. Here is an update from the President...
http://www.rosefurniture.com/Page1.htm

Posted to misc.consumers.house

We bought $2100 of furniture 8/16 and like everyone else were informed
that they were closing 10/7. I disputed the chare with CHASE visa and
after sending copies of the order, closing notices and a few other
documents, I saw today that our full total was returned to my credit
card account. Ill never say anything bad about CHASE again!

We did file the dispute 2 days before the 60 day rule expired.

This to give some hope.

That was way too easy... best of luck.

SWM NJ