Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Key for small Cushman drill chuck

I got a Dumore "precision" drill press at the dump, but it's missing the
key for the Cushman chuck. I found a Jacob's chuck with matching
specs & I can get a chuck for it that should fit my Cushman. But, just
to be sure, I'd like to check that the tooth pitch matches.

Does any one have a Model 0 Jacob's chuck that they can look at for me?
I need the number of teeth on the sleeve. The Model 0 is the smallest
Jacob's makes: 0-5/32 (4 mm) capacity. The sleeve is .85" diam.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 11:58:39 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I got a Dumore "precision" drill press at the dump, but it's missing the
key for the Cushman chuck. I found a Jacob's chuck with matching
specs & I can get a chuck for it that should fit my Cushman. But, just
to be sure, I'd like to check that the tooth pitch matches.

Does any one have a Model 0 Jacob's chuck that they can look at for me?
I need the number of teeth on the sleeve. The Model 0 is the smallest
Jacob's makes: 0-5/32 (4 mm) capacity. The sleeve is .85" diam.

23 teeth

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I got a Dumore "precision" drill press at the dump, but it's missing the
key for the Cushman chuck. I found a Jacob's chuck with matching
specs & I can get a chuck for it that should fit my Cushman. But, just
to be sure, I'd like to check that the tooth pitch matches.

Does any one have a Model 0 Jacob's chuck that they can look at for me?
I need the number of teeth on the sleeve. The Model 0 is the smallest
Jacob's makes: 0-5/32 (4 mm) capacity. The sleeve is .85" diam.

Thanks,
Bob

Hey Bob,

Got one on a "sensitive drill press" gadget.

Both Chuck and Key here are Jacobs No. 0 and chuck is also stamped as
having 0 Taper (for mounting I assume)

Chuck has 23 teeth, Jacobs KEY 0 has 11 teeth. Gives a ratio of 2:1
turns of the key to one turn of the sleeve.

Key guide pin diameter is .153 long and .1235 diameter (I will get out
the pin gauges and check the chuck holes if you want, but I assume
they are 1/8")

Key main shaft with cross-lever is .35 diameter by approx. .83 from
top the top of the teeth, and 1.21 overall top to tip.

Major diameter of Key "barrel" just above teeth is approx. .440
Not real sure how to measure easily, but across one tooth and one land
at the minor diameter I get approx. .334

If this isn't enough, grime a shout and I'll dig deeper, but I note
that KBC Tools

http://www.kbctools.com/can/main.cfm

has

SKU # 1-508-03505 JACOBS K0 CHUCK KEYS $4.75

That may be a Canadian site and price, but if you are in the USA, try
typing www.kbctools.com and get the correct US site.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
... I need the number of teeth on the sleeve. ...

23 teeth

Thanks. Mine is 24 (I counted twice) - close enough, I hope. Let's
see: .85 x PI / 24 = .111; .../23 = .116; delta = .005. It's worth a
shot - the chuck is useless without a key.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Bob,

Got one on a "sensitive drill press" gadget.

Ah, "sensitive" is a much better adjective than "precision".

Chuck has 23 teeth, Jacobs KEY 0 has 11 teeth. ...

It's nice that you and Ned agree - could get ugly otherwise G.

Key guide pin diameter is .153 long and .1235 diameter (I will get out
the pin gauges and check the chuck holes if you want, but I assume
they are 1/8")

No need to check, thanks anyhow. The Jacob's spec is .125.

Major diameter of Key "barrel" just above teeth is approx. .440
Not real sure how to measure easily, but across one tooth and one land
at the minor diameter I get approx. .334

Thanks - that looks like a good match to my chuck.

If this isn't enough, grime a shout and I'll dig deeper,

Oh, this is enough, for sure.

but I note that KBC Tools has

SKU # 1-508-03505 JACOBS K0 CHUCK KEYS $4.75 ...

Thanks. McM-Carr has them too ($2.13), but I might feel compelled to
order some other stuff.

Thanks again - I'm off to mcmaster.com

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ned Simmons wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
... I need the number of teeth on the sleeve. ...

23 teeth

Thanks. Mine is 24 (I counted twice) - close enough, I hope. Let's
see: .85 x PI / 24 = .111; .../23 = .116; delta = .005. It's worth a
shot - the chuck is useless without a key.

Bob

Not completely useless, just tighten by hand, stick the back end of an
appropriate sized drill in one of the chuck's holes. Then place the
business end of a screwdriver against that, and use it to lever the the
chuck teeth around. G DAMHIKT

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You saved me a trip downstairs to measure mine.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You leave yours laying around?

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

In the shop.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

You leave yours laying around?

In the shop.

My problem quickly becomes, 'Which shop'.

Is it in the 30' *40' garage?

Or is it in the 18' *28' shop?

Maybe in the 12' * 24' cottage?

Or the 12' * 12' shop?

It could be in the 12' * 12' laundry building.

Or somewhere in the toolboxes in the house.

Maybe it's in my truck. Or did I loan it to someone?

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Gerald Miller wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
You leave yours laying around?

In the shop.

My problem quickly becomes, 'Which shop'.

Is it in the 30' *40' garage?

Or is it in the 18' *28' shop?

Maybe in the 12' * 24' cottage?

Or the 12' * 12' shop?

It could be in the 12' * 12' laundry building.

Or somewhere in the toolboxes in the house.

Maybe it's in my truck. Or did I loan it to someone?

Ok. Fair enough...

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 17:28:38 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Bob,

Got one on a "sensitive drill press" gadget.

Ah, "sensitive" is a much better adjective than "precision".

Chuck has 23 teeth, Jacobs KEY 0 has 11 teeth. ...

It's nice that you and Ned agree - could get ugly otherwise G.

Fer sure. If Brian had come up with a different number I'd have no
choice but to start slinging insults concerning his political
leanings, sexual orientation, physical stature and nationality.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 17:28:38 -0400
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

snip
Thanks. McM-Carr has them too ($2.13), but I might feel compelled to
order some other stuff.

Thanks again - I'm off to mcmaster.com

A lot of places sell generic four-in-one keys cheap. For instance:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...do?itemid=1745

===
Four-Way Chuck Key

Don't worry about lost chuck keys€”this one replaces them all!
Use one key for 1/4'', 3/8'', and 1/2'' chucks
Fits all major brands - over 125 different kinds
Also use the key's center for acetylene tanks
Perfect for on the job when you use more than one drill
===

I suspect your local hardware carries something similar and may
provide instant gratification.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 17:28:38 -0400
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

snip
Thanks. McM-Carr has them too ($2.13), but I might feel compelled to
order some other stuff.

Thanks again - I'm off to mcmaster.com

A lot of places sell generic four-in-one keys cheap. For instance:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...do?itemid=1745

===
Four-Way Chuck Key

Don't worry about lost chuck keys, this one replaces them all!
Use one key for 1/4'', 3/8'', and 1/2'' chucks
Fits all major brands - over 125 different kinds
Also use the key's center for acetylene tanks
Perfect for on the job when you use more than one drill
===

I suspect your local hardware carries something similar

There are more than four types. I have one of those and about a dozen
chucks it doesn't fit. Lowes carries a nice selection of chuck keys. A
local store let me carry in an old drill to find the right key. If the
drill is too big you can always remove it, first.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 02:15:54 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

You leave yours laying around?

In the shop.

My problem quickly becomes, 'Which shop'.

Is it in the 30' *40' garage?

Or is it in the 18' *28' shop?

Maybe in the 12' * 24' cottage?

Or the 12' * 12' shop?

It could be in the 12' * 12' laundry building.

Or somewhere in the toolboxes in the house.

Maybe it's in my truck. Or did I loan it to someone?

Crom...sounds like we have similar issues.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

You leave yours laying around?

In the shop.

My problem quickly becomes, 'Which shop'.

Is it in the 30' *40' garage?

Or is it in the 18' *28' shop?

Maybe in the 12' * 24' cottage?

Or the 12' * 12' shop?

It could be in the 12' * 12' laundry building.

Or somewhere in the toolboxes in the house.

Maybe it's in my truck. Or did I loan it to someone?

Crom...sounds like we have similar issues.

I can only open a couple doors, but there is no room to get inside
three buildings right now. I am trying to give away enough computer
monitors and printers to have room to work again.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

You leave yours laying around?

In the shop.

My problem quickly becomes, 'Which shop'.

Is it in the 30' *40' garage?

Or is it in the 18' *28' shop?

Maybe in the 12' * 24' cottage?

Or the 12' * 12' shop?

It could be in the 12' * 12' laundry building.

Or somewhere in the toolboxes in the house.

Maybe it's in my truck. Or did I loan it to someone?

Crom...sounds like we have similar issues.

I can only open a couple doors, but there is no room to get inside
three buildings right now. I am trying to give away enough computer
monitors and printers to have room to work again.

Among other things, plus I have two tool using sons in close
proximity, one happy that I have the tool regardless of quality, the
other, happy to use what I have until he can locate one that meets his
standard of quality. Oh well, they both provide tech support to the
old guy when he is stumped.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

My dad and stepmom recently moved here from up north. My dad said
that he told someone he was moving south to get good tech support.

enough left over to pay them.