Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old link v-belt disassembly

I am rehabbing an old Sears/AMT radial drill press. I have some old (~50
year) link style V-belts that would seem to be an ideal match. Unlike
currently made link belts, these have rivets holding the three layers of
rubber and fabric, and the individual links are slit to allow them
through. How are these belts disassembled without damaging the belt?

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The tab that slips down the slit rotates and locks in. You will need
to find the underneath side, rotate the small tab that came through and
push it back to the top side. You will have several in layers.

New belts can be bought - it is a popular product.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 9/25/2010 7:06 PM, axolotl wrote:
I am rehabbing an old Sears/AMT radial drill press. I have some old (~50 year)
link style V-belts that would seem to be an ideal match. Unlike currently made
link belts, these have rivets holding the three layers of rubber and fabric, and
the individual links are slit to allow them through. How are these belts
disassembled without damaging the belt?

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:06:50 -0400, axolotl
wrote:

I am rehabbing an old Sears/AMT radial drill press. I have some old (~50
year) link style V-belts that would seem to be an ideal match. Unlike
currently made link belts, these have rivets holding the three layers of
rubber and fabric, and the individual links are slit to allow them
through. How are these belts disassembled without damaging the belt?

Kevin Gallimore

Those are still very much available and are widely used in the screw
machine industry.

It should be noted..that those belts cost between $5 and $15 a FOOT.

Ive got a few spools of NOS belting and whenever I run into a v belted
machine in my shop that needs a belt..they get the link belts. I figure
my grand kids might...might need to spray some conditioner on them..and
their kids may have to think about replacing them....

google "link belts"

The way to take them apart..if there is 3 layers...figure removing a
link from the first layer, the second link from the second layer and the
third from the third layer.

Carefuly split the leather and remove the first link from the rivet.
the leather from the second and first layer on the 2nd rivet and the
leather from the first, second and third rivet....best as I can explain

Anyone else got a better explaination?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Link Belt for VS Jet JimC Woodturning 1 July 10th 06 12:13 AM
Can A Link Belt Be Used On A Jet 1442 ? Wood Turn It Dont Burn It Woodturning 11 January 22nd 05 05:06 AM
Link Belt Source? Hank Gillette Woodworking 19 December 9th 04 10:23 AM
Link Belt on Nova 300 Bob Cook Woodturning 4 March 16th 04 04:10 AM
Link Belt on Jointer Nick Bozovich Woodworking 7 February 20th 04 10:52 PM